Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grubstake said:
hippyhunter said:
First release of photos are on 19/10/2020 along with the manuals and lots of other related infos. I bet 19/10/2020 is the release date.???

Bad news, I'm afraid - all of those October dates have now been put back to 18-Dec 2020.

https://fccid.io/Z4C-0039

Ah well. Am kind of used to setbacks at the moment with the lockdown and all. A couple of months goes pretty quick these days :)

So has anyone heard any real rumours about it yet? Or still just total speculation?

That article by Roger Montgomery the investor would be 98% on the mark. The amount of funds his firms have invested in codan is pretty substantial, hes been in for over 5 years so made pretty good return for his clients. His frm would meet regulary with codan like all other investment companies would do, so they get to talk to the top brass, they owned over 5% of codan a few years back, id say they would be around that still.

It would be nice if it is to be compatible with either the GPX or GPZ coils, but with all the coils available for the GPX series, & diff ones for the GPZ, GM1000, Equinox, CTX, Vanquish, etc, it wont surprise me if they do come out with a new special coil of their own.
Although, given that its been placed in the GPX series, we can hope its compatible. (dont hold your breath waiting tho)

What won't it have, won't it do or has it got that you don't want to be $1K cheaper than a 7000?

Will $1K less than a 7000 be comparatively noticeable in the field?

Will $2.5K more than a 5000 be comparatively noticeable in the field?

Will it trump a 2300, maybe its a sluice you really need to be considering?

Will it find gold thats shaped unlike anything found to date? Hah

They aint making gold anymore, fact!

The worlds got bigger cause there's less gold to find, fact!

So, ya got to go deeper, but its cheaper than a 7000, fact!

6000 owners will have less working capital (trips away) than existing GPX owners, fact!

Why would any existing GPX owner even consider a 6000?

BigL said:
What won't it have, won't it do or has it got that you don't want to be $1K cheaper than a 7000?
It's still going to be based on PI tech not ZVT like the the GPZ. It should be more than $1k cheaper IMO.

BigL said:
Will $1K less than a 7000 be comparatively noticeable in the field?
Will depend on a lot of factors. I know in some areas there is a noticeable difference from the GPZ to current GPX's. In some areas I've seen the GPZ easily outshine them & in others not so much. A new timing or 2 & some better EMI immunity may close the gap further?

BigL said:
Will $2.5K more than a 5000 be comparatively noticeable in the field?
Price & performance remains to be seen. I think even just a more modern user interface, wifi & onboard battery will be a lot more user friendly but not worth $2.5k more. There will need to be improvement beyond that for that price.

BigL said:
Will it trump a 2300, maybe its a sluice you really need to be considering?
Minelab have said numerous times that the SDC wasn't a competitor to the GPX series but a standalone mid range detector. I don't see that changing but maybe a new timing will give the GPX6000 more SDC like qualities? A sluice is no good in dry areas :p

BigL said:
Will it find gold thats shaped unlike anything found to date? Hah
It might find some shaped like this $ $ $

BigL said:
6000 owners will have less working capital (trips away) than existing GPX owners, fact!

Why would any existing GPX owner even consider a 6000?
Why would they have less capital. Sell the old GPX & some of the gold you should have found. Minelab's always keep good resale value. A lot of other buyers will be cashed up i.e. retirees, keen hobbyists etc.

They will buy it for the same reasons they've upgraded previously since the SD2000 through to the GPX5000.
Even if the performance gain is negligible it will create enough doubt in some that they will need to have one or they won't sleep at night.
Others will see any performance gain as a must have to give them an edge.
Some will just appreciate the modern user interface, built in wifi & onboard battery. Any extra performance or timings will be a bonus.

I think you're right mbasko, not only different performance (whether perceived or otherwise), but also 3 completely different price points. For the consumer that has to be good. And when you think about it, going forward, any of these products bought secondhand are at different price points again. There's plenty of choices at what you can afford if you want a Minelab.

I just read that it will be out by Christmas. Saw it on Facebook so it must be true . :D

18/12/20 is the rumour. That's the date the FCC documents are supposed to go live anyway?
Another rumour is that Minelab are holding a dealer's meeting in the next week or so.
Watch the leaky sieve come out after that if it indeed happens or maybe Minelab will just make it all official. :rainbow:

Have a look at the above link

So what do we know so far:

The detector will have no cables
use Low Latency Bluetooth for the Audio
Have a control box much like the GPZ7000
Have a display on top of the handle
Be available for Christams.