Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent another weekend with my mate and his 6000 at the recent PMAT field trip on an alluvial lease in northern Tassie. Seems that it excels on bits between 0.1 and 1g. SDC got way more sub 0.1 bits and GPZ picks up everything over a gram that he detected with the 6000. Also found a whole lot of hot rocks that everyone else left behind.

Dave79 said:
Spent another weekend with my mate and his 6000 at the recent PMAT field trip on an alluvial lease in northern Tassie. Seems that it excels on bits between 0.1 and 1g. SDC got way more sub 0.1 bits and GPZ picks up everything over a gram that he detected with the 6000. Also found a whole lot of hot rocks that everyone else left behind.

Has he tried the DD?

Manual Sensitivity 10, EMI cancel mode, zero hot rocks, zero ground noise - whole heap of lead shot and 1 tiny gold target this morning in about 2 hours.

I like the DD :D

Ended up with a few days solo until today (wife was busy) on a few of our old spots and had a good run with it,hit a small area we'd missed which gave up 20-25grms,just shy of 40 all up i think,most were with the 11,a few with the 14......
1619345625_1d56a1f2-3ea0-4043-84f4-e07bacf55a70.jpg

Goldchaser1 said:
Ended up with a few days solo until today (wife was busy) on a few of our old spots and had a good run with it,hit a small area we'd missed which gave up 20-25grms,just shy of 40 all up i think,most were with the 11,a few with the 14......https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9528/1619345625_1d56a1f2-3ea0-4043-84f4-e07bacf55a70.jpg

Struth Dave, you must be oit of Corona by the looks of this pic.

Cheers

Doug

G'day

I was thinking about the Gpx 6000 yesterday and it came to mind that possibly the internal electronics are a beefed up version of the Sdc2300 system?, why I think this is because I have been getting feedback about its performance and its ability on small nuggets, and how it performs generally, some of the similarities are, it has few controls like the Sdc but with some enhancements that the Sdc lacked like the volume control, apparently it also struggles a bit with emi with a warbly threshold as the sdc does, hence the new dd coil with it, ergonomics was an issue as well and a better balanced and lighter version addresses that complaint, and many of us also commented that a lighter better version of the Sdc would be a good thing, also the ability to change coils was brought up and then coiltek released their range of coils for it, also the antiquated c size batteries that most people replaced with the li-ion battery kits and that has been addressed also with the slide in li ion batteries.

The GeoSence feature may be a way of explaining the faster pulse timing that the Sdc has compared to the gpx's, I am not an expert on it at all, just that I have an inquiring mind and it seems to me that there are many performance similarities between the two machines, and really they could not have called it the sdc v2 or sales would drop on the sdc and it would also effect the Gpz sales too I would think, I think really it is overpriced and that itself would be a stumbling block for a lot of people particularly if you need to sell your current detectors to fund the new one as all the sale sights are now clogged with gp'x and sdc's, the prices are steady for now but will fall as people just try to get rid of what they have got so they can move on.

cheers

stayyerAU

From the little that has been said about the GPX6000 from a technology viewpoint I think it's more based on the GPX series than the SDC.
For example early on I suggested it could have been given a new prefix to separate it from the GPX but JP replied:
JP said:
I wouldsayGEO Sense-PI says it all. Its a PI machine?Logicwould then suggest the 6000 is a continuation on from MPS, based onthe GPX moniker.
No doubt the GPX6000 employs some variety of early sampling to enable it to be competitive with the SDC but whether that is pure MPF (as used in the SDC) or a variation of the MPS or refinement in how it operates with GeosensePI hasn't been made clear. Hopefully a white paper will come explaining it all at some stage.
IMO it's definitely more GPX than SDC?

Rockhunter62 said:
Goldchaser1 said:
Ended up with a few days solo until today (wife was busy) on a few of our old spots and had a good run with it,hit a small area we'd missed which gave up 20-25grms,just shy of 40 all up i think,most were with the 11,a few with the 14......https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9528/1619345625_1d56a1f2-3ea0-4043-84f4-e07bacf55a70.jpg

Struth Dave, you must be oit of Corona by the looks of this pic.

Cheers

Doug

Cant crush coronas out bush doug,back on the cans now the weathers cooling off,i know what tastes better though :(

Oh what a beautiful morning :)
4g of the good stuff. This 6000 is something else!! It screamed on the 0.08g....I thought it was going to be much bigger! 0.61g at about 10 inches. All 6 found within 30 metres of each other, away from an old patch :) The biggest bit (3g) was a sunbaker can you believe!!....How someone missed that is beyond me...just goes to show you how easily people miss gold.
1619407508_4.28g_6000_26_april.jpg

I'm not happy to see that the GPX6000 was released mid month and delivered by The Prospectors Pick on 16th when I was told by them that it had been delayed again and wouldn't be released until some time in May. It was clearly a lie and not good business practice from a business where I've spent a lot of money buying detectors and accessories :argh:

Moneybox said:
I'm not happy to see that the GPX6000 was released mid month and delivered by The Prospectors Pick on 16th when I was told by them that it had been delayed again and wouldn't be released until some time in May. It was clearly a lie and not good business practice from a business where I've spent a lot of money buying detectors and accessories :argh:

plenty of other shops around mate ,, loyalty dont mean much anymore ,

Moneybox said:

G'day

Yep I am hearing you, for some reason even after I have spent many dollars there I don't even get any notification of any products, I used to get updates from them but not any more, anyway there are plenty of other sellers both online and in shops that will appreciate your business, as I experienced with another popular prospecting shop they tend to get so tied up in the selling of the latest and greatest detector that they forget about the people who have been keeping them afloat during the quiet times, and if you are not there to buy the latest and greatest detector they very quickly lose interest in you, the previous owner of that particular business lost thousands of dollars in business from me alone as when I did want new machines I just shopped elsewhere.

I had been into the shop you are talking about many times and spoken to the owner on several occasions, the last time I saw him he asked me who I was and if I had been there before?

cheers

stayyerAU

Spent the first 3hrs using the GPX6000 today. What a ripper :Y:
8 x speccis & 2 x little colours off a patch I've used all my previous machines on (& so has every other Tom, Dick & Harry).
Ran in manual for a while & also in auto/auto+. Auto+ worked well there & found the majority of the gold. Maybe a little "ratty" for some but no mistaking metal targets.
Interesting to note that on testing one of the speccis that it could still easily be picked up in a manual sensitivity setting of 1. Plenty of grunt left. (6 - 7 was the best manual setting i.e. smooth running over the majority of ground but both auto modes worked well).
If running manual dropping the sensitivity a bit to smooth it out won't be a concern.
Love the feel of it!
Love the audio! Even like the supplied headphones!
Easily rivals (or betters) the SDC for subbies!
Pretty sure once that 17" coil is available it will be up there with other GPX models for depth too (& dare I say it the stock GPZ).
I can't really fault anything about it. Not sure about the coil connection (just for the sake of something). Might be a point of failure if care not taken. To undo mine I have to wiggle the plug a bit, unscrew, repeat until it comes off. That might eventually cause fatigue somewhere there but it does seem pretty solid.
Minelab have done well & hopefully the thought process is applied to future GPZ models.

diggit said:
Great machine, simple to use, swing it all day, punches deep whilst also picking up tiny targets.

Yeah couldn't agree more,i didn't even know the first few days 11& 12 put it into auto lol. Read the manual then went bush,missed that bit.
They've hit a home run with this little unit,it's mind boggling walking about with the 11 on it after swinging 45's for a decade or so,it's a bit noisy on bad ground and the emi effects it a bit but its a matter of more time with it really,wind the sensativity back with a mono or use the DD i'm not sure but time will answer that one,i swung the 14 for a few hours the oday and with no bungee it was ok but i was feeling it a bit,the 14 needs a bungee to go all day i think,probably the 17 to,maybe not???
Off patch hunting next week and i'll be rigging up a bungee for the 14,not sure how yet but i'll sort something out.
It's surpassed my expectations,minelab have delivered in spades,a cheaper price would of been nice but it is what it is,personally i think they've produced the ultimate patch hunting unit for wa :power:

Latest posts