Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tathradj said:
Or,
A GPS as we know uses triangulation in a 3d
environment to work out where it is.
One of those points is incorrect so a certain point
that is mathematically incorrect is removed.

Maybe they are using 3 or 4 types of signalling and
removing the spurious one that is not mathematically correct.

This is going to be interesting... :coffee: :coffee:
Hey Doug. With only 2 satellites a GPS receiver will calculate 2 points on Earth. With 3, it will eliminate one but won't show altitude.
With 4 satellites, altitude will be calculated.
More satellites will improve positioning as they will provide better geometries (i.e.: two lines intersecting at low angles give more error than two lines crossing at high angles). The GPS will track all visible satellites and select the satellites giving the best receive power and geometry.

SteveG said:
davent said:
Im not really in any loop.
I dont even know anyone who works for minelab or any of the big dealerships.
My detecting contacts are very limited.I dont have access to any secret info sadly.

In that case you don't know that the 6000 is more sensitive to small gold than the GPZ. Just speculation.

My Z regularly gives me signals on gold that barely registers on the scales, last week I got a piece that was .06G at about an inch deep. I don't see how anything could be better than that.

Its not speculation, but time will tell. The video I have seen was very small gold found with a 6 and the 7 got no response at all. I suppose it would depend where it was videoed, I know where but not at liberty to say. The clips I saw were convincing enough for me.

davent said:
SteveG said:
davent said:
Im not really in any loop.
I dont even know anyone who works for minelab or any of the big dealerships.
My detecting contacts are very limited.I dont have access to any secret info sadly.

In that case you don't know that the 6000 is more sensitive to small gold than the GPZ. Just speculation.

My Z regularly gives me signals on gold that barely registers on the scales, last week I got a piece that was .06G at about an inch deep. I don't see how anything could be better than that.

Its not speculation, but time will tell. The video I have seen was very small gold found with a 6 and the 7 got no response at all. I suppose it would depend where it was videoed, I know where but not at liberty to say. The clips I saw were convincing enough for me.

If it's going to get even smaller gold, you might as well take up panning or run a sluice. It's like, all the gold is gone - lets release a detector that can find gold dust! Imagine all the new tiny trash you are going to find!

The only benefit I can see is the Geosense, if the gold gets that small, I better take my tweezers and magnifying glass. The current detectors all can pick up decent small gold but I do like the whole 6000/PI make-over and updates.

Don't rush out and get one till it has had some time to breath out in the field as you may already have the best detector for your need.

Also, as Davent said, it's not going to put new gold back in flogged grounds!

Aussie farmer said it wont put gold back into flogged ground , not me! But I would have liked to have said it! Classic. :goldnugget:

davent said:
Aussie farmer said it wont put gold back into flogged ground , not me! But I would have liked to have said it! Classic. :goldnugget:

That's what I get for those late night forum replies. Sorry davent... I'm just a little confused - "most of the time" :) :lol: :zzz: :8

This is what I'm talking about. Had a hard time even picking it up! And they want to go smaller???
Found with the GPZ, clear clean signal at around 100mm deep.

1612867922_g-1.jpg

Don't think the 6000 will be on my wish list.....

I have just read the user manual for the " greatest show on earth " !

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...n_id=YA1Sqm88rdY9jBv8GMBnxg==&fcc_id=Z4C-0039

Nothing in that manual enthralls me much at all, and frankly, I am not impressed at all ! These bits concern me :

" The GPX 17 Mono coil is the top choice for covering large areas of ground quickly and efficiently. It is the top performer when searching for large deep nuggets in less mineralised ground. Like all monoloop coils, the GPX 17 Mono is susceptible to noise in conductive ground or when there are high levels of EMI "

I thought this new u beaut super expensive machine was going to rid these problems, but seemingly no ! Less mineralised ? That wipes out most of Western Australia !

I saw no mention of threshold tone control either ????????

A 5000 is looking better each day for our 3rd detector !

Rick

Those manuals used for FCC Compliance testing are drafts.
Will likely be changes in the released/package version but it is looking fairly simple.
P.s. I'm waiting to see it in action before writing it off.
Don't forget the current GPX manual warns of possible issues if using aftermarket coils so we know that statements like those are generally overstated anyway.
I.e.
Minelab GPX5000 manual said:
Mineralisation
A Monoloop coil will often have improved performance over a Double D coil but can be more difficult to Ground Balance and therefore possibly more noisy. A Double D coil is often more stable in heavily mineralised areas.

Note: Third party coils and accessories are also available. These are not manufactured, warranted or supported by Minelab. Please note that after market coils used with a GPX Series detector in some Soil/Timings settings such as Fine Gold and Enhanced are likely to either not work or produce significant levels of spurious signals from mineralised soils.

I'll let you blokes do the research and the testing and then I'll be better equipped to make a decision. You never convinced me with the GPZ7000 but this might be different ;)

Moneybox said:
I'll let you blokes do the research and the testing and then I'll be better equipped to make a decision. You never convinced me with the GPZ7000 but this might be different ;)

Got to say, personally the 7000 even though heavier, worked "for me" better (swing/use wise) with its balance and ergonomics. But having used a 5000 for some time, still think it's the ants pants of "tunable" PI detectors. Endless configurations, multiple accessories but for me, just TOO MANY options and configurations.

This one detector can be tuned to find .04g nuggets (my experience) up to coin size targets near a meter deep. That's versatility - but that isn't the 6000. Like much conjecture here, the 6000 SOUNDS like half way from a 2300 to a 5000 in a 7000/3030 format.

There are those who wanted a bit more flexability than the 2300 offered, and those who wanted a more "automated" all-in-one 5000. From what I see, Minelab "may" just have filled this gap perfectly.

The 6000 has an obvious pre-researched target market otherwise Minelab would not have invested into it's design and production. I'm just interested what people think of it AFTER using it for a while (not just once).

So the Gpx 6000 runs auto tracking only or is there a fixed mode available. It sounds like it could be using MPF technology like the 2300 or better :power: anyways enough speculation, where the bloody hell is it :bomb: :mad:

grubstake said:
The GPX6000 User Manual (only 19 pages!) and some other related documents, can now be downloaded from here:
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...n_id=YA1Sqm88rdY9jBv8GMBnxg==&fcc_id=Z4C-0039

Amusingly, the User Manual includes at least one obvious error, where what looks like a proof-reading note has been overlooked and retained in the final edition:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ges/4012/1612928589_gpx6000_manual_error1.jpg

Loving it....

"Pump the coil up-and-down approximately 1 "metre" [3.3 feet) above the ground."

How tall are you?

be "casued" by Conductivity - a little dyslexia?

"Use of the Double-D coil is only recommended if good results cannot be achieved using a Monoloop [Mono] coil."

This is a very specific direction, we use DD coils for other reasons to?

Makes me wonder what the rest of the manual is like???

Araratgold said:
I have just read the user manual for the " greatest show on earth " !

Nothing in that manual enthralls me much at all, and frankly, I am not impressed at all ! These bits concern me :

" The GPX 17 Mono coil is the top choice for covering large areas of ground quickly and efficiently. It is the top performer when searching for large deep nuggets in less mineralised ground. Like all monoloop coils, the GPX 17 Mono is susceptible to noise in conductive ground or when there are high levels of EMI "

I thought this new u beaut super expensive machine was going to rid these problems, but seemingly no ! Less mineralised ? That wipes out most of Western Australia !

I saw no mention of threshold tone control either ????????

A 5000 is looking better each day for our 3rd detector !

Rick

Good find Araratgold.
The User Manual is less than inspiring. :|

Latest posts