Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you know very well that minelab build their detectors in Malaysia these days.
You also know that Minelab was bought out by Coden.
Its also obvious to anyone who has read any of your posts in the past that you are trying very hard to stir the pot again, like you always do.
Now you turn and spin it around like mr innocent the red neck racists are ok buying a product from a non Australian country
Very predictable behaviour from you. You were ok with minelab until they dumped you.Now you have a personal problem with them and anyone associated with them. I see you are trying very hard to bait JP who wont bite.
Why cant you just get on a forum without trying to stir a pot for once?
You come accross as a very bitter and twisted old man. :(

Reg Wilson said:
OldGt Just like cars, we used to build them here. Detectors are built in America, Europe, Asia, even Turkey. I didn't criticise anyone, I am just curious as to where they are made.
Amazing with all the anti Chinese and anti Islamic feelings expressed here and elsewhere that some can turn a blind eye when it comes to certain things when convenient.
Talk about running with the fox and hunting with the hounds.

I can only see discussion around the GPX6000 and its upcoming release, not sure where you get the idea people are expressing any anti Chinese or anti Islamic views.

Do you wish to discuss all the chips on your shoulder? or can we all go back to discussing the newest Minelab product, unless of course, as is evident, you wish to continue to derail a general discussion with erroneous and irrelevant jibes and baiting.

If its the latter just remove yourself for the sake of the rest of us.

OldGT said:
Reg Wilson said:
OldGt Just like cars, we used to build them here. Detectors are built in America, Europe, Asia, even Turkey. I didn't criticise anyone, I am just curious as to where they are made.
Amazing with all the anti Chinese and anti Islamic feelings expressed here and elsewhere that some can turn a blind eye when it comes to certain things when convenient.
Talk about running with the fox and hunting with the hounds.

I can only see discussion around the GPX6000 and its upcoming release, not sure where you get the idea people are expressing any anti Chinese or anti Islamic views.

Do you wish to discuss all the chips on your shoulder? or can we all go back to discussing the newest Minelab product, unless of course, as is evident, you wish to continue to derail a general discussion with erroneous and irrelevant jibes and baiting.

If its the latter just remove yourself for the sake of the rest of us.

Reg, I think you should discuss these things on PM not the GPX6000 topic.

Moneybox said:
We all like new toys. I haven't followed this thread but spotted it after StayyerAU's post today. I think mostly we buy these new machines just because we like to have the latest and greatest and we'd hate to think we could be doing better than we are with the old gear we've got. I think if you are spending money that you really can't afford to part with a little research might be in order. Take an honest look at who's finding the gold and what tools are they using. Even if they are the guys with the latest and greatest machines I think you'll find they are also the same guys who were finding the gold before they got these new machines. Unless there's something really ground breaking in the design and performance of the new machine than it's no more than a feel-good gift to yourself and of course there's nothing wrong with that :)

I'm not bosting here, just trying to make a point. We took up metal detecting about 5 years back with a Garrett ATX and a Whites GMT. We went out and found good gold but not near as well as when we moved up to the GPX4500 and SDC2300. Those first two machines never paid for themselves but certainly paid the difference so that the upgrade didn't take anything out of the pocket.

Now take a look at the difference in the old obsolete GPX4500 and the GPZ7000 with its fancy electronics, considerable extra weight and very large price tag. We've spent many months out there over the last few years in the company of those swinging the GPZ7000 and there are times when I say to Mrs M "I wonder how much better we'd have done with a 7000"? But then we get to the weigh in at the end and we rarely see anybody come home with more gold. Yes there are certainly times where the 7000 gets onto a patch of tiny gold that I think would put my 4500 to shame when swinging the 14" Elite coil but I've honestly never seen a 7000 out perform us when the going gets tough or the gold gets a bit bigger or deeper. Put simply I'm yet to be convinced that these new machines out perform the old ones over an average week or months as we usually spend out there.

The main difference I see is that most of our gold targets are getting smaller and that's where the SDC2300 and GPZ7000 seem to have the edge and if that's the gold you expect to be swinging over then you might find the extra cost is well worthwhile ;)

I will as always be on the lookout for the latest and greatest but I won't be diving in wallet first.... :lol:

I think the 6000 will be a good option to consider for someone buying their first detector for sure. They should also consider the 5000 and of course the qed at a third the price.
For any current gpx owners i would be waiting for comparison testing to make sure you arent taking a step sideways in regards to performance. If money is no factor and you just wish to cure your curiosities, i would say go for it and find out the differences for yourself, hopefully have fun along the way, and sleep better not wondering what the gpx6000 is like :)

I'm just gonna put this here.

1610844551_gpx6000.jpg

Can't discuss any details at the moment, but answers to questions will be unveiled in due course.

IMO, they should not have called it a GPX if it can't use the current GPX coils.
What was wrong with a "GPY"?
If all it does is automate some of the GPX 4500/5000 settings and eliminate a harness, then I'm staying with my old GPX 4500. I understand it - as it does me.
In the GT, I know that Enhanced timings work best nearly everywhere. I turn it on and after ground balancing, I'm set to go. I'll tune if necessary, but rarely do.
If every time you turn on a 6000 it needs to go through a 2 minute auto timing/tune etc. then its for newbies - not me.
Maybe upgrade to a 5000 for me to get the extra timings (if they are sold off following the 6000 release), but that's it.

Hey Dave, I still think GeoSense automatically checks ground mineralisation and sets mostly the timings and perhaps another few things to make setup mindless.
A bit like the GPX5000 added a few extra timings on the 4500 - particularly "Fine Gold".
So, the 6000 would add extra timings, albeit automatically selected now.
Like the GPZ, it would likely ask you to wave over a target-free patch, then adjust for the optimum timing.
Just my guess though..........
My Jeep is so bloody automated it gives me the shites, but newbies love it. I've turned off nearly every auto thing I can.

BigWave said:
automatically checks ground mineralisation and sets mostly the timings and perhaps another few things to make settings mindless.
albeit automatically selected.

As long as it can do those things without "dumbing down" the machine too much.

People always want a quite running machine ... so much so that getting it quite reduces the max depth that targets will be detected.

Guess just have to wait and see ........ AND as long as the reviews don't contain the words "flogged area" or "been over the spot with every other detector".

The first thing that I will want to know is how this GeoSense technology handles false ground signals from red clay pockets and noise from highly mineralised ground. Imagine if most of those annoying false targets could be eliminated, it could be a real timesaver.
ML would be on winner then.... maybe just wishful thinking on my part.
Secondly, will it have improved immunity to EMI ?...... if it does and can be operated closer to sources of emi, such as metro beaches etc, then it could be worthwhile as PI beach machine.
If it is capable of overcoming these challenges, then I want one :perfect:

GeoSense-PI? no thanks, I'm waiting for GEOSENSIS X3: http://gdi-detectors.com/geosensis_x3_pulse_induction_gold_metal_detector/ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, "if" the GeoSense works as claimed, it could be a really great thing - but nothings perfect and I feel to get an across-the-board detection function to self set soil timings etc..., some of the sensitivity has to be sacrificed? Not like a 5000 that you can manually tune to push the limits.

Also, "if" it was possible to work on significantly minimizing EMI (constantly checking), I think this would be a more advantageous technology step forward.

Was at Lucky Strike today and overheard a customer asking after the 6000. The staff member replied with - "we have been told, around $8,000". Nothing new there - still waiting for details!

Well Ive been told the two coils it will come with in Australia are an 11 mono and a 14DD.
It will have a huge improvement to EMI when using the DD and even be able to use in storms and under power lines.
The ground balance will be able to cancel out most ground noises and the target signal will be clearer and louder than previousmachines

Latest posts