Wind power battery charging?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gpx5000

Paddy
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm thinking about buying a wind turbine, to keep my caravan battery charged through the night.
Has anyone got one?
If so, any good?
I'm travelling within WA.....which stands for Windy Always and I'd like to keep my van battery charged on dull days/overnight, solar isn't much good in these instances.
There's cheap ones on eBay, claiming all sorts of fabulous wattage, but in reality they'd probably only put 300-400watts out on a good day, which is fine.

Here's a link to the eBay one: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3700W-1...oller-Regulator/184357055932?var=692053628417

And one from Eco-worthy, a 400w one; https://www.eco-worthy.com/collecti...-generator-system-with-controller-for-12v-24v

Both have controllers and blades made from the same nylon fibre material, but I guess you get what you pay for, the Eco Worthy one is 3x the price of the unbranded one. ($179 & $450 respectively)

I'll be mounting it on a 50mm diameter 4m pole with guide wires.

I saw one at another camp, and spoke to the guy, he was happy with it and it just does it's thing, he had the Eco-worthy one.

We normally set up camp from 2 days to a few weeks, not in caravan parks.

I'd love to get some feedback on your thoughts.

Cheers.

Yeah I have been looking at that one, the better known brands are expensive, the beauty of wind turbines is they can work 24/7 and in the winter time they can really pump out the power when the sun isn't shining,

Even when they are only putting out 50w X that by 24hr that's 1200w which = 93.75Ah.

Add to that 2 or 300w of Solar to a secondary battery bank and you would never run out of power or combine the two giving them their own charge controller,

I like em and will be buying one when I am ready for it, :Y:

EDIT:- I have 2X 120w Eco worthy fold up solar panels that weigh about 4kgs and a 100w suit case Solar panel made buy them and they are first class,

Hope that helps.

J.

Gpx5000 said:
So are you looking at the Eco Worthy turbine or the eBay one RR?
Cheers

Yeah but I am getting it from Amazon, The one you are looking at is about 900mm across which is a bout as big as you would want in a portable unit because you need to find away to support it inside the camper laying down while traveling, the bigger ones are about 1.2 to 1.5mtrs across and you would need one heck of an Anchor point to make sure it does not get blown over,

You need to set it up around 4mtrs high +/- and away from the camper so it's Air is not disrupted by the camper or caravan,

I like Eco-Worthy stuff, Like I said those 2 120w fold out panels are top notch, they came with mc4 plugs so I can link them up or run the panel straight to my Dometic PLB-40 Lithium Packs without the need of a charge controller because the PLB-40's have a DC to DC Charger controller built in and they also came with a PWM controller and 2 USB ports and about 10 plugs for charging PC's and other gadgets and folded up they measure about 500mm X 300mm X 45/50mm So they are easily stowed when space is at a premium,

I Like their gear, from the 3 things/Panels I have bought from them I am impressed. :Y:

J.

Have you got a link to it please mate?

I'll be taking it apart (blades etc) for moving camps, saves damaging it.

It will be on a 4mtr pole, the pole will be cut in and have a joiner in the middle. The one I saw had 4 chain links welded around the top pole and he used Bunnings orange rope to tie it down to tent pegs in the ground, we had some pretty narly winds and it stayed up ok.

Cheers.

Gpx5000 said:
Have you got a link to it please mate?

I'll be taking it apart (blades etc) for moving camps, saves damaging it.

It will be on a 4mtr pole, the pole will be cut in and have a joiner in the middle. The one I saw had 4 chain links welded around the top pole and he used Bunnings orange rope to tie it down to tent pegs in the ground, we had some pretty narly winds and it stayed up ok.

Cheers.

Yeah mate, here ya go, Also note that the 400w is 1.2mtrs across.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ECO-WORTHY...131QQR6DSDV&psc=1&refRID=X68RT63XF131QQR6DSDV

1595841086_eco_worthy_400w.jpg

I also looked at a smaller one that was about 500mm across that puts out about 90+w for the camper due to the space I have while travelling, I have also seen a 1200w version that measures 1.8m which would be great for the homestead.

Let us know how you get on, it will be interesting to see how it performs, :Y:

Good Luck.

Latest posts