Best metal detector for gold under $1500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all new to the forums. I just moved to the southern highlands and am looking at getting into prospecting for gold and was wondering what was the best metal detector to go with when it comes to prospecting for gold. I'm looking to have budget of under 1500 for detector with coils.

I was looking at the minelab monster 1000 or the fisher gold bug pro.. Are these a good choice?

Any help much appreciated.

HoudiniHarry said:
Hi and welcome. If you use the search function it will provide the answers.

Hope this helps.

Also may help identifying your area. Different detectors for different areas.

Cheers HH
Cheers mate but that post is from 2015 and don't have much info.

Guess I'll try search.

I too, would love to have an answer to this question from knowledgeablepeople :)

It is easy to search on google and then end up wasting money for lack of knowing anything better... if anyone has had dectectors for a while in the $900 to $1500 range then it would be really great to hear from you :)

Thanks heaps,
Stuart.

I got a Makro Gold Kruzer from Nenad earlier in the year and have been very impressed. Put about 100 hrs on it so far & have found a few small bits in areas I've worked before. For a VLF it handles mineralised ground well and is stable. Would suggest under $1500 this might be the pick.

For slightly more $$ the ML Equinox 800 might have some advantages in ground handling due to multi frequency with a slight trade off in minimum size gold detectable due to lower top frquency. Only guy I know with one is happy with it.

No VLF replaces a PI in v high mineralised ground or for ultimate depth but I guess you already know that.

Levelz31 said:
Hi all new to the forums. I just moved to the southern highlands and am looking at getting into prospecting for gold and was wondering what was the best metal detector to go with when it comes to prospecting for gold. I'm looking to have budget of under 1500 for detector with coils.

I was looking at the minelab monster 1000 or the fisher gold bug pro.. Are these a good choice?

G'day

First off the two detectors you mention are both vlf detectors, they are both ok in some situations but if you want to have the best chance to get gold you need to get a pulse induction machine, gold likes to be where the ground is in some cases extremely mineralised and in truth these types of machines will struggle in these sorts of conditions, with the budget you have of $1500 I would recommend that you look for anything from a Sd to a Gp series minelab pi detector, ideally get the latest model you can and you will get the best bang for your buck.

Gold detecting is a hard game and given that people still struggle with the latest top end machines to get consistant gold you will find that the reason being in most cases is that many areas that are accessible have simply been sucked dry, most places have had every detector made in the last 30 odd years over them.

Good luck in your venture.

cheers

stayyerAU

Id suggest a second hand QED. So much detector for the money. You can pick them up for $1,500 or less with little use and 1-2 coils and is the latest model.

5 year warranty is transferable, free upgrades instead of having to upgrade detector and super light. VLF detector weight in a machine that is made in Ballarat.

G'day,
I recently got a minilab vanquish 540 with
V12 12" x 9" Double-D
V8 8" x 5" Double-D.
It was reasonably priced for a first timer, like me, still trying to figure out how to use it to find stuff. Recently found a 1983 1c piece in the front yard.

Lucky Luke

Lucky Luke said:
G'day,
V12 12" x 9" Double-D
V8 8" x 5" Double-D.
It was reasonably priced for a first timer, like me, still trying to figure out how to use it to find stuff. Recently found a 1983 1c piece in the front yard.

Lucky Luke
The Vanquish looks like a good detector for the price. Be great for parks, beach etc.

Unfortunately it probably won't be ideal in a lot of cases on the goldfields.
Without dedicated manual or auto ground balancing it will likely prove difficult to use in mineralised ground?
The Multi IQ frequency can compensate for some ground conditions on the run with adjustment of Sensitivity too but VLF's like the Equinox or Gold Kruzer would be better options for gold at under $1500 (failing getting a PI detector).

mbasko said:
Lucky Luke said:
G'day,
V12 12" x 9" Double-D
V8 8" x 5" Double-D.

Lucky Luke
The Vanquish looks like a good detector for the price. Be great for parks, beach etc.

Without dedicated manual or auto ground balancing it will likely prove difficult to use in mineralised ground?
The Multi IQ frequency can compensate for some ground conditions on the run with adjustment of Sensitivity too but VLF's like the Equinox or Gold Kruzer would be better options for gold at under $1500 (failing getting a PI detector).

Agree completely, but unfortunately at least one Minelab dealer ("Serious Prospecting", lol), is selling these on eBay as gold detectors:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Minelab...m1cedbc3672:g:0RYAAOSwYkVfAPNH&frcectupt=true

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Minelab...m1cedbc85c7:g:1y0AAOSwiQRfAPwh&frcectupt=true

1595119807_vanquish.jpg
:rolleyes:

Gold Monster and Equinox 800 from personal experience these are both very close in the gold size they can find with the equinox having the advantage of also being a great coin and jewellery. Ive also used a gold bug 2 and there an awesome gold detector as well. And have heard good things about the Makro gold Kruzer .
These a lot out there but you cant go wrong with one of these detectors!!.

grubstake said:
mbasko said:
Lucky Luke said:
G'day,
V12 12" x 9" Double-D
V8 8" x 5" Double-D.

Lucky Luke

Agree completely, but unfortunately at least one Minelab dealer ("Serious Prospecting", lol), is selling these on eBay as gold detectors:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Minelab...m1cedbc3672:g:0RYAAOSwYkVfAPNH&frcectupt=true

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Minelab...m1cedbc85c7:g:1y0AAOSwiQRfAPwh&frcectupt=true

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4012/1595119807_vanquish.jpg :rolleyes:
Seems strange that a Minelab dealer would be offering the Vanquish as gold detecting units but after hearing some advice given by salespersons at dealers I'm not that surprised. Sales drive has replaced good, knowledgeable advice over the years.
The sales spiel at places like Anaconda etc. wouldn't be good either. :rolleyes:

Footnote:
The seller on eBay has the same spiel for the Go-Find series. They include this statement for Vanquish & Go-Find detectors:
The Serious Prospector said:
Prospecting for gold has never been so much fun!

If you areserious about gold prospecting and finding gold, the Minelab Go-Find Detectors are exactly what you are after to get you started.
They can't be effin serious at all. Selling detectors for a specific purpose that aren't designed or recommended by the manufacturer will ultimately be not good for business. They'll end up with a heap of pi55ed off purchasers once they work out they've been fed BS :poop:

Levelz31 said:

Was in the same position last year after years of relic hunting with Minelab Sovereign gt. I bought the goldmonstrer, found it's uses were limited and 6 months later bought a PI detector (QED) . I think the best you'll get for gold on that budget is a used minelab sd series or maybe GP extreme, but both should come with coils and accessories and with experience will do better in the gold fields than VLF but like most PI detectors it seems (sdc the exception) require a little tuning which can be too much for some who just want to switch on and go. I recommend saving a few extra dollars if possible and going for the QED. Comes with full support and training which any first time PI user really needs. imo

I still have the gold monster for river banks and crevices and the sovereign for relics around old ruins etc (great for coins)

I have a gm 1000, I believe I use it for it's design purpose. Strip 100mm at a time and swing very slow but watch the gold chance graph, if a worbaling target doesn't give you even the slightest flicker to the right after you strip a little of the surface for a closer look I Ignore it.
Digging n swinging in high mineralised ground that makes it really noisy.....
The gm shaft unscrews to 3 sections, set it up on the top section only so in tight spaces you can allways see the gold chance graph. Turn the volume off and detect by sight.

20xwater said:
I have a gm 1000, I believe I use it for it's design purpose. Strip 100mm at a time and swing very slow but watch the gold chance graph, if a worbaling target doesn't give you even the slightest flicker to the right after you strip a little of the surface for a closer look I Ignore it.
Digging n swinging in high mineralised ground that makes it really noisy.....
The gm shaft unscrews to 3 sections, set it up on the top section only so in tight spaces you can allways see the gold chance graph. Turn the volume off and detect by sight.

Thanks for that post 20xwater...what a great idea, and I've been thinking about doing that but wasn't sure what do do with the lead :)

Reactions: 20x
As an aluvialist, I can see a new product that needs attention, but until sales of hope combined with the gpx and zeds fall, they won't create it friend...

Status
Not open for further replies.