Workshop Tool suggestions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im making a Bunnings Supercheap Auto - wish list for my farm workshop..

So far I have accumulated machines and tools we used to build the warehouse and other buildings on the farm.
Cement mixer hollow block making machine, hand tools such as shovels concreting hand tools Hammers , chisels wood saws some clamps measuring tapes squares and a few different types of levels etc
Workshop has a good quality bench vice a good set of spinners and sockets and verious other tools for mechanical jobs.
Also have an air compressor and hoses and a spray paint set ..
Power tools- circular saw, table saw , small band saw, metal chop saw, a hammer drill and a multi purpose drill, that is use for screws and tech screws.
A couple of years back we bought a 200amp stick welder thats still in good nick but I am thinking I might get something a little better and that is more versatile for different welding jobs..
What would be best ....A gas-less mig type welder or an inverter type welder ?

Im also thinking about adding some other power /air tools to the wish list, such as an air nail gun, brad gun and a stapler and a miter saw and router ..

If you had to set up a farm workshop , what would you suggest I put on the wish list ?

My suggestion is to go with the gas inverter type welder, you can now buy your own bottle of MIG gas from some places, if you do not use it a lot, Bunnies also stock the small bottles, requires a $200.00 deposit, but that comes back when you return your bottle and do not take another, if you continue to replace the bottles the deposit stays there.

If you are going to use the welder a lot then buying your own larger bottle is the way to go. :Y: :Y:

The gas-less is difficult to make it look good unless you know how to weld very well.

Graham

Have a couple of Bosch grinders and a hand plane but no electric wood planer ..
Thanks for the suggestion 2lateagain ..re the gas inverter type welder ,my problem is Im shipping the tools over seas to the farm we have there and I have no idea about getting gas bottles over there might be difficult.. no idea..

Yeah aussiefarmer ..one of every thing and a spare for back up.. :perfect:

Once the travel restrictions are lifted and we are allowed to fly to the Philippines, the Digger and I plan to spend 6 months on the farm and get a lot of work done ..
The farm is eventually going to be our retirement home ( havent built our farmhouse yet ) plan is to spend 6 to 8 months over there and the rest of the year here..
I want to buy and ship tools there so when we can go back I have everything waiting for me..

You can't have enough Ryobi tools.
Have lost count of the times, haven't had to run our extension leads for garden projects, grinding, drilling etc etc.
Just added a Ryobi window cleaning kit, what a winner! :perfect: :100:
Have to be careful not to walk through the back door without opening it..... :D

Small inverter stick welders are fantastic!
Smooth DC arc! Even the Aldi ones handle 3.25 rods with ease. $100!
But inverter welders need HEAPS of KVA to run them from a generator, compared to old style stick welders.
Or you will burn them out quickly!
I bought a Pilot K11 air compressor 20 years ago. ($1000) then
Must have a thousand hours on it. And only just now the rings are showing wear, letting crank oil up into the top end, then the tank...air lines... etc.
Not good when spraying paint.
So I will get exactly the same unit again next week. And strip the working top half off for spares, flush the tank out.
And use the tank as an inline reservoir.
Aussie company too!
Impoterted parts. Italy.. bit of China etc.
Great tool to have.
Reservoir tanks are very handy to have when using high CFM tools, like dye grinder and air drills etc.

Tools are simple,
If you need inspiration for a project you go buy tools.
As for farming tools needed you need to set goals and budget feesability and praticality,
You will generally find local blokes that cant repair cock ups cheaper than the tools needed.

Hydraulic Floor Press
And I second NJ choice -You can't have enough Ryobi tools.
The battery jack hammer - drill is great. :Y:

Bunnings do exchange on argon etc now. Was $200 up front.. $100 back on return or $100 swap and go.
I just bought mine outright through speedy gas.
No rent etc. Larger bottle too.
Price check 15kg roll capable migs..
$35 for 15kg roll... = $2 a kg..
$90 for a 5kg roll = $18 a kg?
And gas welds are cleaner and stronger.

nucopia said:
One of the nephews over there is a mechanic he said he was looking to buy a Ryobi rattle gun(impact drill) but the cost there is twice what I can buy one at Bunnings.. crazy

The impact gun was a one of the most handy buys (Yep! Bunnings) When we get to our bush camp, changing over from the road wheels to the bush bashing saves heaps of time and energy. Have an inverter on the ute, don't have to start genny to recharge the battery.

Tools are simple when you have a bunning down the road but that is what I dont have.. In Manila an 8 hour road trip away, there are big retail stores where I can buy quality tools but I know from past experience those tools will be about twice the cost of what I can buy them for here ..that's the problem,hence the reason why I want to buy and ship tools from here.
As an example, Ryobi One+ 18V 3-Speed Impact Wrench Bunnings price $189 Philippines price 14,500 peso or about $420 AUS

Nightjar said:
You can't have enough Ryobi tools.
Have lost count of the times, haven't had to run our extension leads for garden projects, grinding, drilling etc etc.
Just added a Ryobi window cleaning kit, what a winner! :perfect: :100:
Have to be careful not to walk through the back door without opening it..... :D

Just make sure you buy the vacuum cleaner as well so you can suck up all the blue smoke and put it back inside the tools. Handy man tools and that is all they are. :N:

Cheers

Doug

a 10mm socket welded to a chain thats welded to the work bench. For some reason that's the one that goes walk about all the time :Y:

Extension cords and a gen set maybe

Latest posts