Topaz?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1593774380_fa9714ef-4a9b-4ca6-8482-1abf9afe7ccb.jpg

Possibly, but I am tending towards Smokey Quartz verging on Citrine due to the colours evident in the image.

Photos are hard to take so they represent what you see first hand and even harder to interpret.

A couple of features that look a bit more like topaz in the second lot of images, still sitting on the fence though.

Have a look at some YouTube videos on how you can measure the specific gravity of stones, would be worth doing as it may give you a better indication.

Yeah, looking at that glimmer in the corner it appears like the internal shell in qtz, also has a zircon appearance about it. Am cutting a piece of NE zircon right now from Weldsborough area. Has that same greasy shine and highlights.

if you have a set of digital scales find the specific gravity test online and apply that to your specimen. Do a search in aus prospectors, I recall there is one here.

My bets on Topaz. Looking at specifically images from post 6 and 12. The others just reinforce.

Can you see a flat cleavage plane in it that reflects light ?
If so, it's possibly topaz.
I've found a few Killiecrankie diamonds on Flinders Island, the difference is easy to see once you've seen a few.

LoneWolf said:
A good field test is, put it up to your lips, if it feels cold, it may be topaz...

When you do this with a piece of Quartz and a Topaz, you can really feel the difference...

LW...
Yes an old tin miner, Mount Surprise told me that a long time ago.

Latest posts