Prospecting in Nepal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I'm new to the forum and since the pandemic started have been looking into a new hobby (I'm a sailor and have 6 months a year of holidays) and stumbeled upon prospecting. After learning about it for a few months I started looking into regions that would be possible for me and since my girlfriend is from Nepal I decided to look into the region. Liucky for me, there were a few regions because of the mauntain structures that needed further prospecting than the fact they find specs in the gravels of the rivers. If you want to google earth the region: kali gandak and mayandi koala
Now I was wondering what equipment I should all take? We would be going around the country by jeep and doing the last stretch by foot every time so it would have to be somewhat easy to transport :)
Also, if any one knows a lot about geology and wants to join us in the project :perfect: :D

Loewie

jamiealdridge said:
Shovel, sieve and pan should be all you need to start.

Thanks! You wouldn't take a 6 inch highbanker since I'm going 4 weeks straight? :)

Loewie said:
Rockhunter62 said:
What's the local laws regarding prospecting in Nepal?

Cheers

Doug

You have to apply for a permit, but they want to promote exploiting as much as possible ?

Do they limit equipment types ?

a good 10 inch highbanker will process as fast as you can dig (2 - 8 cubic metres per day) , whereas a pan and sieve could limit you to 10 buckets a day.

CreviceSucker said:
Loewie said:
Rockhunter62 said:

Cheers

Doug

You have to apply for a permit, but they want to promote exploiting as much as possible ?

a good 10 inch highbanker will process as fast as you can dig (2 - 8 cubic metres per day) , whereas a pan and sieve could limit you to 10 buckets a day.

Hi, I was indeed thinking about brining a highbanker to the benches, so far getting in contact has been a challenge, tomorrow I'll call the department of mining and geology and hopefully get some answers about what's allowed! will keep you all posted :)

Loewie said:
CreviceSucker said:
Loewie said:
Rockhunter62 said:

Cheers

Doug

Hi, I was indeed thinking about brining a highbanker to the benches, so far getting in contact has been a challenge, tomorrow I'll call the department of mining and geology and hopefully get some answers about what's allowed! will keep you all posted :)

lucky you have your local girl there to test the vibe in the air , she can guide you to what can be done or when to walk somewhere else .

hopefully she has good Nepalese intuition , dont ignore it !

good luck. :cake:

CreviceSucker said:
Loewie said:
CreviceSucker said:
Loewie said:
Rockhunter62 said:

Cheers

Doug

lucky you have your local girl there to test the vibe in the air , she can guide you to what can be done or when to walk somewhere else .

hopefully she has good Nepalese intuition , dont ignore it !

good luck. :cake:
For sure, she's already been super helpfull and is exited about it like crazy haha

So, I've finally got an update about the rules for the license:
-Gold prospecting is LEGAL
-You need to register a small buisness ( Will update about that more)
-Seems like they think big because the Sir I wrote to from the mining and geology department was already writing and informing me about exploration

Loewie

P.s. Can't wait to go and share all those pictures here :D

UPDATE:
I've managed to get the opportunity to buy the geological survey information of a primary gold deposit where the gold varies from 0.0001 to 4mg of gold per ton gravel.
I'd have to still register a small buisness and apply for the permit but they are promoting it a lot for sure now.
I'm going to get the geological report later today, seems like it might turn into small scale mining rather than prospecting :power:

3 - 5 grams per ton would be the absolute lower end of viability for surface workings.

Off those numbers above you could make 3 cents a day.

They either want to discourage mining , or they are trying to rip the dumb tourist.

CreviceSucker said:
3 - 5 grams per ton would be the absolute lower end of viability for surface workings.

Off those numbers above you could make 3 cents a day.

They either want to discourage mining , or they are trying to rip the dumb tourist.
ooo boy, how did I make that mistake, it was gram and not milligram...

Update of the day:
After a lot of emailing and calling they finally understood that I was didn't have the intention to mine and bring in big equipment but rather small scale 'sampling' of different spots on rivers and regions. They've now sent me to the director of the geology and mining dpt. given me acces to a geologist and a chemist to help me with this personal research. Seems like no matter what it is, the people have been excited about this, but do not know that hobby prospecting is a think.
Now rather than thinking it's professional they think it's accademical haha

goldtrapper said:
Sounds like your in!

I think so,might even try to help them set-up proper rules for prospectors like us :)
Any of you guys think that's a good idea? Also, was wondering, when I make the final email to the director of the geological and mining department, how should I describe what we do most accuratly? :lol:

Loewie said:
goldtrapper said:
Sounds like your in!

I think so,might even try to help them set-up proper rules for prospectors like us :)
Any of you guys think that's a good idea? Also, was wondering, when I make the final email to the director of the geological and mining department, how should I describe what we do most accuratly? :lol:

I would try to avoid new rules , it creates new problems and hurdles.

Keep it simple , if it aint broke dont fix it.

CreviceSucker said:
Loewie said:
goldtrapper said:
Sounds like your in!

I would try to avoid new rules , it creates new problems and hurdles.

Keep it simple , if it aint broke dont fix it.

Right on ?

China is the biggest producer of gold in the world and in the nineteenth century Tibet produced a lot of gold nuggets in alluvial deposits.I venture to say a lot of China,s gold at present is mined in Tibet.
Now if you could only cross that northern border into Tibet undetected.

Latest posts