WOW. Find of a lifetime.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy snapping duck shi-e . Well done Bev and welcome to the forum .

Anyone know if Bev had found the ever biggest gold sov hoard or spill with a detector in Oz ?

Hard Luck said:
I'm still a bit sceptical on this one.
Like I said earlier, very shallow and very clean.

Good luck to her and I hope she finds the rest of the stash nearby.
I think they would of been washed and placed there for the reporter cameras. Unless it was taken by their own camera on the spot . She had a mining pick , does not look like any have been nicked or scratched and the only way to tell is to get the coins professionally cleaned to see bag marks soil/ sand scratches, nicks . But good on her . Ive seen one or two silvers and gold sovs pulled out looking pretty good from members of this forum .

Smoky bandit said:
Would love to know the story of how they ended up in the dirt.
Very interesting.
Go the Nox :Y: :drooling:

It was common for people travelling long distance to camp for the night and bury their stash of gold in case the local Kelly clan walked in to camp with pistols drawn.

There would be nothing to find if their belongings were turned upside down.

Even people camping long term in the bush would bury their stash , they didnt have a Chubb safe inside their tent so buried was the posh fashion back then.

If they forgot where they buried it or died of cholera , snake bit or bar fight then thats why there is still a stash or two to be found.

Its just basic human behavioural dynamics.

Back in 2018 it was reported on another forum that a tin with about 50 gold coins was found near a bridge in Goulburn. At the time the bridge on the Braidwood road was being demolished, so I thought that might be the location.

Someone searched TROVE and came up with this from the SMH in September 1932:

1593564696_gold_coins.jpg

OldGT said:
goldtrapper said:
See if the vic Gov claims as treasure trove...........

Was wondering the same thing.

Hey all. Dragging this up again as I was just reading the rules on certain finds on the gov website.

https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/l...ational-fossicking/rules-and-responsibilities

Interesting to note is this bit under General Obligations.

"If you find any hidden valuables while fossicking, you must advise Victoria Police because such items belong to the Crown."

What are they referring to here? Would a find like this come under these rules?

What say you?

Hard Luck said:
OldGT said:
goldtrapper said:
See if the vic Gov claims as treasure trove...........

Was wondering the same thing.

Hey all. Dragging this up again as I was just reading the rules on certain finds on the gov website.

https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/l...ational-fossicking/rules-and-responsibilities

Interesting to note is this bit under General Obligations.

"If you find any hidden valuables while fossicking, you must advise Victoria Police because such items belong to the Crown."

What are they referring to here? Would a find like this come under these rules?

What say you?

Were they hidden, lost, forgotten, thrown away or placed :|

Also doesn't apply if on private property, the finds belong to the landowner. If on public land it could be classed as a treasure trove.

Great find,good on ya bev

When we lived in the gt there was a bloke that detected farmers paddocks in the talbot area,he dug up a heap of sovereigns that were obviously stashed for retrieval,they were sitting under a large quartz boulder(marker)in a paddock,i met him a cuppla times,he was a regular at the coiltek shop,others must know of his find?
I cant remember the exact amount now but it was alot,50-100 or thereabouts,there was a few bits remaining of an old bag they were stashed in also.....

Latest posts