A simple GPS gadget

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but couldn't find a post on it.

I've came across a little GPS gadget looks very simple to use and shows you with a big arrow on the display to point you back to base.

I believe you can save upto 3 GPS locations on it, cost around the $100 I believe its a American product but don't hold me to that.

Its called Bushnell Backtrack Point-3 Personal GPS Locator

I'm sure there's youtube videos about it.

Looks like ideal peace of kit that I wouldn't want to be without if I was detecting out in the Bush.

Might be a option if your considering buying one :Y:

Oldie-Goldie said:
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but couldn't find a post on it.

I've came across a little GPS gadget looks very simple to use and shows you with a big arrow on the display to point you back to base.

I believe you can save upto 3 GPS locations on it, cost around the $100 I believe its a American product but don't hold me to that.

Its called Bushnell Backtrack Point-3 Personal GPS Locator

I'm sure there's youtube videos about it.

Looks like ideal peace of kit that I wouldn't want to be without if I was detecting out in the Bush.

Might be a option if your considering buying one :Y:
Or just get a free app like I did. Think it's called Polaris something. It's great. Doesn't need data. You can draw trails on the map then follow it. You can set way points, and most of all, you can find that base through the bush. :)

Hi Oldie Goldie.

I have 4 of these and can highly recommend them. When I lived in WA five years ago the whole family (4 of us) had one each with the location of the car if we got separated.

Believe it or not we got ours from Office Works.

Whilst basic they were great for the kids. I still use mine whenever I go prospecting and wander off. Waypoints can be dropped in for any places of interest for ease of return.

At the end of the day after wandering many kms just the ease of following the arrow back to the car is easy.

A great bit of kit :Y:

Cheers F

Sanguine said:
Thanks for this thread. This is exactly what I've been looking for.
Yes the only way the kids let me out bush is with one. I have had to use it a few times in thick bush.
And may I say in Italy. Bloody street signs were a little hard to read. Not sure why!. It gave me a direction which was great.

Takes the stress away from getting lost.

Cheers
HH

Its the orange thing on the left

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30038

1593049672_1552887284_100_8033.jpg

Friar said:
Hi Oldie Goldie.]
At the end of the day after wandering many kms just the ease of following the arrow back to the car is easy.

So do these back track along the route you walked in on? Or do they direct you on a simple direct bearing from your last point straight back to the car? If the latter, they could be very dangerous in mountainous terrain, or even in low land swampy/marsh areas especially if the person does not understand the limitations of the device...

1593125210_img_2370.jpg

It does not matter if you walk around a lake or through it, it will still point to the direction you marked.
Mine looks a little rough as I have not taken the protective film off the screen. But works really well. There are many different models
mine has three start points you can mark. As you can see I am 46 M from the position I marked. I just need to walk following the arrow to get back to my location.
Very simple and robust.

Cheers
HH

Can the screens be repaired? I had mine in my back pocket, drove the car to another spot. when I went to mark the new spot, I found the screen had cracked, so I've lost 4 nugget locations I had on it. I took it to a few mobile phone repairers, but they said, throw it away and buy a new one. Can they be fixed?

Latest posts