Victoria gold panning

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hows everyones panning going? Im interested to check out a few new spots this weekend. Its going to be raining. Has anyone ever tackled bad weather for gold panning and was it worth it?

G'day Buck11 welcome to PA here's a few links to the Earth Resources website which will help you to stay legal and help all of us retain the crown land plus rivers and tributaries we currently have. Some of these areas are under threat from the Green ideology from state government and local government so to know where you can and can't prospect is the smart approach.

Where you can,

https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/l...fossicking/where-you-can-prospect-and-fossick

Exempt Rivers and streams/tributaries

https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/l...ick/rivers-and-streams-where-you-cant-fossick

All the best when you get amongst it all. You can try Slaty Creek in Creswick :beer:

Thanks RM, I will take account of all legal practices to ensure this luxury we have will not be taken from us. The spots Im checking out are in guidelines, and I am quite excited. I will return with hopefully promising results.
Also Jaros, appreciate the heads up. But I do believe the creeks and the spots Im going to have a geeze at wont flash flood with the amount of down poor coming. But with saying that, very correct and always an important thought to keep in mind.

Buck11 said:
Hows everyones panning going? Im interested to check out a few new spots this weekend. Its going to be raining. Has anyone ever tackled bad weather for gold panning and was it worth it?

Been there ,done that , Buck11. Done it with snow on the other side of the hill from where we were sluicing and panning. Tackled freezing weather and muddy tracks to get gold out of the creek in the pouring rain. Sluiced a flooded creek and fell in at one stage when i slipped. Just be wise and try to rug up and not catch the flu or a cold and most important is to not be a clumsy bugger like me.

Trying new things, had a few goes when we had higher water in the creeks, but seemed to struggle getting the gold, its a lot harder to see bedrock, and rocks to pan near.

Maybe high storm water is not the best idea, I asked a question in the forum if it scatters the gold in all sorts of places and its not in the common areas where it collects.
Or is it maybe a good time to go panning?

I saw quite a bit of evidence the panners had been out after a lot of rain, are they experience and know things I don't, or are they amateurs panning at a bad time.

Be good to know.

Cheers.

A Clue, Gold deposits take millions of years to form, most have been mined out.
A very select few locations have good flood gold, ( renewed quicker ) most of them are well known and heavily worked by todays prospectors.

Latest posts