Mobile Phone - Internet Antenna for Caravan

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condor22

Mike
Reaction score
On previous trips to the GT, I found that some locations got very iffy mobile reception and even worse Internet.

My setup was a prepaid 4G WiFi modem, mobile phone was a T96 3G Telstra with an antenna port. (My main phone at home is Optus, which is even worse out bush) I should add that Telstra are starting to shutdown the 3G network to be completed by 30/62024, so my T96 is a bit obsolete.

The antenna I used was a magnetic base, small whip that I put thru the van roof hatch and sat on the van roof. I wound the hatch down one wind from locking and fed the cable between the full blind and the fly screen. This was drafty when windy, let insects in thru the gap and although it made the difference between signal and no signal, was not the best.

Whatever I was going to do, would not include drilling holes in the roof, cost an arm and a leg and be easily setup.

Read on next post..........

Here's my new setup completed today. The pole is a spreader bar only chosen because I had it in the shed. The inner pole is at the bottom, so that the cable can be cable tied at the top without impeding it being collapsed. The antenna is also from my shed and is an unused bullbar mobile antenna with FME plug to suit my patch lead. The antenna bracket is part of a bonnet mounted adjustable swivel mount, also found in my shed. So far Nil cost. I got some 19mm dowel from Bunnings to fit in the spreader fitting, slightly narrower. Then a couple of "Penny Washers", 6mm bolt, spring washer and nut. Done up firm enough to stay in place, whilst able to be swiveled for packing. :)
1592057363_ant_lower.jpg

1592057363_ant_upper.jpg

It's attached to the van awning via reusable cable ties and stands between 4.5 and 5M to the top of the antenna.
1592057363_cable_tie.jpg

The cable enters via cable entry fitting through the wall (the grommet is not shown)
1592057363_cable.jpg

It all folds up and fits in the tunnel boot
1592057363_antenna_folded.jpg

My New Telstra Flip 3 has an antenna port, is 4G and will have a Boost 12mth, $150, 80GB prepaid (currently a $20 Boost SIM). Before I plugged it to the antenna I had 2/5 bars of signal, with the antenna it went to max at 5/5. :)

I'm tripping in a week or so and will try it. If I come up with a more positive method of fixing than the cable ties, I'll do the mod. I can't extend the awning any further in the driveway than pictured.

As the cable entry is just under the awning above the door, it has some protection from weather and even more when the awning is out.

I previously used a Telstra T96 3G phone for calls and a Telstra 4G modem, both with antenna ports, but could only use one or the other.

With the Flip 3, I can do away with 2 devices on Telstra that cost me more combined for a lot less. I can now also have the phone with data on, hot spot tethered to the laptop and still receive phone calls all on one antenna. $150 Boost gives me unlimited calls n txt + 80GB for 12 months and I usually only use it for 6 of those months anyway.

Condor22, Made up something very similar to what you have. Made a bracket to suit the bolt holes on the drop down leveling device. Drilled a hole through the side of the step inside the door to feed the aerial cable through. Rubber grommet to seal. (Will post pics when I can find them)
Prior to this successfully used a Yagi aerial which was originally fixed to the pole until I fixed it permanently to the wind up TV aerial, the cable for the phone went through same hole on step sidewall.
Couple of pics of the YAGI, they work perfectly in poor reception areas. You just need to have way points of telstra repeaters so you can point the Yagi in that direction.

1592129438_yagi.jpg

1592129438_yagi2.jpg

Great Job there NJ. I thought about coming from the step but had reasons for going through the peep hole method. Will keep the Yagi Drawing.

The antenna already had the cable and FME attached so going high meant that I can do a quick jiggle around an upper cupboard inside and tuck the cable on top of the pelmet above the dinette window. This almost hides the cable and leaves it with enough length to attach the patch lead and the phone with a bit to spare. If I went down the pole, up through the step, then back up to the cupboard etc I'd need another 5 or so metres of cable than as is.

Your phone looks like my old phone, not in size or shape, but as in "Dinosaur".

As I mention Telstra are turning 3G of by Jun 2024. What they are not saying as far as I can tell is how. Optus are starting now and gradually phasing out 3G without a finish date and Vodaphone have made no announcement.

So, worst case scenario - Telstra may well turn off 3G for the next 4 years, which means if you have a 3G phone, it will gradually become a "Boat Anchor". I figured may as well change now while a phone with an antenna port is still on the market. :)

Latest posts