Boiling advice please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 3lt Turbo Diesel Hilux (it was a 2.8 non turbo and they replaced that with the 3lt turbo)
it does not have a intercooler fitted or bonnet scoop
It has a 3" exhaust with a sports muffler

Problem is it boils but only when i have the caravan on the back (13 foot)
I can run all day without the caravan and the temp only goes half way on the guage

Replaced the Fan Clutch
Tested the head gasket no leaks
New full alluminium radiator and cap
Replaced the temp sender unit
removed tested and then replaced the thermostat
Checked Boost and that is within the range (6-7) (tested by Diesel Tech Nowra)
No oil in the water and or water in the oil

I am at a loss as to what it could be so any advise would be helpful

Does it have a electric cooling fan behind the radiator that switches on automatically when it gets hot.
If not you will need to fit one with a manual switch.. :Y:

Smoky bandit said:
Does it have a electric cooling fan behind the radiator that switches on automatically when it gets hot.
It doesn't and would i have to remove the normal fan that is there now

7.62marksman said:
Smoky bandit said:
I would leave it .
You can get a universal thermo fan from any auto shop.
Fit it on the front side of the radiator or on the opposite side of the clutch fan .That is if your fan is offset.
Just reverse the + - wiring to have the universal fan ,blow or suck.
A good one will decrease tempreture by 40% or more.
Just switch it on when your car is under labour and temp is climbing. :Y:

It doesn't sound like you have a cooling problem .Just the engine is working hard.
Only other option would be a faster flow radiator with a more powerful water pump.. :Y:

Smoky bandit said:
7.62marksman said:
Smoky bandit said:
I would leave it .
You can get a universal thermo fan from any auto shop.
Fit it on the front side of the radiator or on the opposite side of the clutch fan .That is if your fan is offset.
Just reverse the + - wiring to have the universal fan ,blow or suck.
A good one will decrease tempreture by 40% or more.
Just switch it on when your car is under labour and temp is climbing. :Y:
Ok thanks i have both blow and suck electric fans so i will try that

An electric fan on the front of the radiator is often a good solution. No need to manually turn it on/off tho, as they usually come with an adjustable temp sensor probe that you put into the radiator hose (with mastic sealant & a clamp)
Im not a diesel expert, but I would also have a tuning shop check that its not running lean under load & turbo boost.

Is the radiator cap of the correct pressure for the system, can you go up a couple of pounds with the cap to get a higher boiling point? I ended up putting one of these digital readouts on the Pajero and then moved it onto the Mazda BT50 as the Pajero temp gauge never moved from the midway no matter what happened outside or the conditions were, was surprised just how much the digital readout varied, but the temp gauge on dash never changed. Might help to establish if the motor is running too hot without the caravan, may need a larger/more tubes radiator to cope.

Graham

https://engineguard.com.au/product/...ZVBKi8vhgBJv9ls2qqnVNIEF_EAlR7ixoC4AgQAvD_BwE

1590984981_screenshot_2020-06-01_microsoft_word_-_effect_of_pressure_on_boiling_pt_doc_-_pressure-boiling-point_pdf.jpg

Alloy radiators are not real good at cooling... Brass and Copper are far better and will last for years compared to Ali ones. I had one and it only lasted 13 months before it split. Most Rad shops won't touch an Ali Rad.. Piece of :poop: IMO... Ali for Race cars, Brass and copper for 4x4's....

Make sure your good quality coolant is at a 50% mix with De-mineralised water.... if its an auto, fit an aftermarket Trans Cooler, to take the Heat instead of the Radiator..

Could also be an air bubble in the system somewhere... Do you have a bleed valve ? if so undo it with car running and add coolant till the coolant starts to come out of bleed valve then close it.. And check coolant level when cool from the cap...

Thermostat should also be replaced when a new rad is installed... I would start with a new thermostat and coolant... They are your cheapest options to start with...

Something is not right that's for sure...

LW....

Lots to consider.... Many of which have already been mentioned and or done.

Not sure what Model your unit is, but the only time I have seen big temp issues re a 2.8L Manual ( mine current one is 3.0L 2012 Auto) and it was a non Turbo; was due to a dodgy water pump.

Worked well around town and on the highway; but a bit of hard work on the beach in soft sand and she would get hot / very hot.... Thus we got caught in the field... Did all the simple things one can do when out camping... Checking sensors and gauges and any thing we could get at while in camp.

Long story short and Toyota contact suggested water pump ?????? 3 days later another mate dropped one off and after some Bush mechanics = No more over heating problems. No coolant, just plain water but was fine for the rest of the week.

PS. Dug tracks into the sand to drive it into - lower the front end, so that we could get at and into every thing much easier ( Bull bars / winches etc are great until you need to do something.... Also spread out a heavy duty TARP to ensure any screws/bolts etc that might get dropped; would not be lost.

Can not recall the issue as to the exact reason for failure ( bearing or impella ? ) - but it was obviously failing to circulate water in a manner expected.

Trust you get it sorted -

My 3L Auto hardly shifts temps when I have the Tvan on... But does chew more fuel :)

7.62marksman said:

As has already been mentioned, fit one or even two electric fans on the front side of radiator between grill and radiator.
Fans wired to blow.
And if it is auto try and fit one of the fans to blow through the transmission oil cooler and radiator.
The only other option is to back off on the pedal and try not to sit on 110kph. :lol:

Nightjar said:
7.62marksman said:

As has already been mentioned, fit one or even two electric fans on the front side of radiator between grill and radiator.
Fans wired to blow.
And if it is auto try and fit one of the fans to blow through the transmission oil cooler and radiator.
The only other option is to back off on the pedal and try not to sit on 110kph. :lol:
unless it rains i will do the fans tomorrow

i forgot to mention it is a manual

Latest posts