Relic hunting vs prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there
I'm curious whether you can relic hunt in NPs and other places where gold prospecting is forbidden? Or does all metal detecting fall under prospecting rules? Apologies for question if it's already been asked and answered
Cheers

I was curious because from what I read, Parks Vic talk about panning, fossicking and prospecting for gold, gemstones and other minerals but can't see anything relating to coins and relics.

I think you need to do a bit more research before you do anything as National Parks are administered by the Commonwealth and Vic Parks are State. Therefore check who administers the park that you are looking at. All the information is clearly available on the right web sites. Any disturbance of ground or damage to Flora is a big No No.
JMO

Just scrolling through Adams posts Im guessing Vic probably.

With the exception of the areas in NP where you can prospect (eg Chiltern-Mt Pilot & Bendigo NP as 2 examples) I would say absolutely a no go.

If in doubt contact Parks Victoria but I can assure you metal detecting outside designated areas in a NP will put you in hot water.

Firstly, theres the relic laws, meaning even pre decimals shouldnt be removed from anywhere in Vic, then there is the historic overlays, and finally NP are pretty much made to protect the flora inside their boundries.

So even outside of NP relics are meant to be left as they are, at least thats what the law is for.

Dont have info for other states.

Latest posts