Thomo's treasures

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been a long term coin/relic hunter , short term member on Prospecting Australia.
I've decided to start my own thread with finds I've turned up as l enjoy seeing what others turn up
During the lockdown I've been doing some of the local parks and have turned up a heap of coins some rings and some odds and sods.
Probably 100 or more pre decimals and over $250 in spendable coins
One park very close to me has turned up probably $60 or $70 in mostly $2 and $1 coins as I was only digging the higher numbers on the Xterra 70.
Last week on the oval l picked up a nice 18 carat gold ring (6 gram) , today l picked up a first for me, a 1936 British West African penny.
I nicked it slightly as it was in the side of the hole.
1590729351_img_9596.jpg

1590729351_img_9597.jpg

1590729352_img_9598.jpg

Those are some great finds, mate - congratulations! Over $250 in spendables is amazing. :money:
Incidentally, I've found that the self-service checkout machines in Coles/Woolworths are a good way to unload bulk coins without having to be too obsessive about cleaning or counting them first. ;)

grubstake said:
Those are some great finds, mate - congratulations! Over $250 in spendables is amazing. :money:
Incidentally, I've found that the self-service checkout machines in Coles/Woolworths are a good way to unload bulk coins without having to be too obsessive about cleaning or counting them first. ;)

I was just thinking about getting a tumbler but with that suggestion l might not need to, thanks grubstake.
What's everyone do with their damaged coins $'s and the 2's and 1 cent pieces or are they just into the metal pile

Years ago I sold a few kilos of 1 and 2 cent coins to the local scrap man for the copper . I think I got more than the face value !

Still got heaps of under weight 5 cent coins . I have swooped, at the bank , damaged $1 and $2 coins , they are obliged to accept them by law . So long as they can see it was a coin . Mainly corrosion damage , off the beach .

Another trick I heard about , to get rid of damaged coins , was to put them into a soft drink can machine . Then press the cancel button to get good coins back !

Mike678 said:
Years ago I sold a few kilos of 1 and 2 cent coins to the local scrap man for the copper . I think I got more than the face value !

Still got heaps of under weight 5 cent coins . I have swooped, at the bank , damaged $1 and $2 coins , they are obliged to accept them by law . So long as they can see it was a coin . Mainly corrosion damage , off the beach .

I've just been chucking them in with the toasted pennies and halfs so that's where they will stay for the scrappy
The lead brass and copper tends to accumulate pretty quickly in this pastime

Thanks Mike

Thomo said:
grubstake said:

I was just thinking about getting a tumbler but with that suggestion l might not need to, thanks grubstake.
What's everyone do with their damaged coins $'s and the 2's and 1 cent pieces or are they just into the metal pile

I do the same as Grubstake, usually exchange it for a gift card or to feed the caffeine addiction. I just hammer all the clipped ones and use for parking on any Im not sure are going to make it in the coin slot at the self serve. Two pieces of pine or hardwood, coin in between and hammer down.

Best case the coin goes in the meter and I claim the ticket back on tax, worst case I jam it in, leave a note on my windscreen and everyone else gets free parking till they unjam it.

Any really mangled ones get added to the bottom drawer in my office.

Id hate to think how many 1c and 2c I have sitting in that same drawer , three banks all refused to take them so they are in storage until I figure it out. I did think of using a couple rubbed and polished up to use as a custom clock face but Ive never got around to it.

OldGT said:
Id hate to think how many 1c and 2c I have sitting in that same drawer , three banks all refused to take them so they are in storage until I figure it out.
I think the scrap metal price of copper is more than the coins face value

I just put mine in the coin machines at my bank, a few times I've had them jam up from coins that aren't perfect but I just call an employee over to un-jam it and get it flowing again... Any rejected coins I put in a reject tub.

They always ask, where did you get the coins from? I just explain and they are always surprised.

Nice gold ring by the way.

woomera said:
OldGT said:
Id hate to think how many 1c and 2c I have sitting in that same drawer , three banks all refused to take them so they are in storage until I figure it out.

Quite likely, a kilo of no2 or candy (uncontaminated domestic copper) is around 5.50 to 7 a kilo depending on market prices, but deep down I think the number of coins required to reach a kilo would be quite high. Probably should weigh them.

Pretty sure "I" cant "legally" dispose of legal tender in such a manner, be hard for me to plead ignorance as an ex metals recycler to any of my contacts. :Y:

OldGT said:
woomera said:
OldGT said:

Quite likely, a kilo of no2 or candy (uncontaminated domestic copper) is around 5.50 to 7 a kilo depending on market prices, but deep down I think the number of coins required to reach a kilo would be quite high. Probably should weigh them.

Pretty sure "I" cant "legally" dispose of legal tender in such a manner, be hard for me to plead ignorance as an ex metals recycler to any of my contacts. :Y:

$6.00 a kilo is .60 cents a gram, A 2 cent coin weighs 5.20 grams. 5.20 x .60= 3.12 cents per 2 cent coin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_two-cent_coin

Having received my new metal detector Nox 800 from a PA member.
I've been trying to get my head around the settings and sounds after the Xterra 70
I don't know why their is scant tion Supplied with the Equinox
Any way today l picked up a few dollars and another nice ring which was the first target 20 seconds after turning it on.
Pandora 14K

1592302954_img_9644.jpg

1592302954_img_9646.png

1592302954_img_9647.jpg

Nice find, the manual for the nox is on the minelab website, under support I think. I printed it out when I got mine so I could write on it.

Dave79 said:
Nice find, the manual for the nox is on the minelab website, under support I think. I printed it out when I got mine so I could write on it.
I didn't know that mate, thanks for the info.
I've been watching so many YouTube videos but after a mini stroke a few years ago my brain doesn't take in information like it used to, just in one ear and out the other
I need a hard copy for reference.
Thanks again, I'll have a look right now

Hard work today with the Equinox.
Only highlight was the 1879 thripence , paper thin at about 8 inches
1944 penny
From a spot l stumbled on several months ago which l suspect was an army camp as the majority of coins I've found there were 1943 and 303 bullets and US military badge
I've got all the easy finds l suspect
The larger lead weight isn't a standard sinker as it has no hole.
Weighs exactly 1 ounce and has a nice greenish patina.

I've been digging most signals to get a feel for the Equinox, only problem is my shoulder and knees feel it as well

Sorry for the photography :(

1592556195_img_9649.jpg

Latest posts