Yet another newbie. Suggestions for a beginners outfit please.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have never prospected in my life. I moved to Maryborough, VIC, a couple of years ago and now want to try my luck, but I don't want to get in too deep and fork out thousands in equipment and regret it later.
I want to get a good beginners kit together with the aim of looking for items of interest, as well as any gold along the way. I'm hoping I can keep it to the $1,000 to $1,500 range. Any suggestions or pointers would be welcome.
I have seen the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 for around the thousand mark. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with the model?

Thanks.
Julian

Have you thought about hiring a detector one weekend and finding out if you catch the bug?

You could save yourself some $$$ if you don't enjoy it but then again you might love it and be up for $$$$$$

Good luck :goldnugget:

Maybe do a one or two day course with someone in Victoria.

You will get a good introduction to detecting, some information on where to look and a some practical experience.

It can be a good way to dip your toe in the water without spending a whole lot in the first instance.

There are a few threads on the forum in relation to training and tours.