Any astro buffs here?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CreviceSucker said:
Sandbagger said:
You astro nuts might enjot this

Baz

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/3JUhNFDsrWk[/video]

Baz it looks like your observatory is in a residential street , what was council like with the application , and how did neighbours respond ?

Mine will be built out of sight on a rural block but just curious if they sent you a box of red tape when you applied ?

It would be different in every state. I'm in the ACT.

The first time I called the land planning authority, I got a flat NO.

Later, I called and arranged to go in. I took a little cardboard model in with me, asked some old guy behind the counter and he said, "I don't see why not, put your paperwork in".

A month later I got an email advising me that the structure was approved. (I'd had a structural engineer draw up the plans and materials list for me).

I sent them an email back with two words. "WOOHOO!! Thanks"

Baz.

Better homes and gardens did a show on it when I had first completed it. I've since added to it and upgraded the gear inside. Johanna Griggs was lovely in person.

btk0PnX.jpg

The huge website I had attached to it is now gone. Nobody was interested. I got so much community support to build it and a few schools and youth groups attended, but then the interest just dried up. I had shamelessly and gratuitously self-promoted for a few years, but no one came. Eventually, I could not afford to keep the website running, so I shut down the domain and hosting service.

Asign Observatory now resides on the Builds By Baz website in a very small section, awaiting the day of renewed interest. I'll probably kick it all off again and upgrade the camera gear, once I've finished the renovations to the house.

By then, if not already, I will be a total noob at it once more. So much has changed in the equipment capacities as well as the software to run it and process the data.

Baz.

tCTcgtq.jpg

Absolutely stunning Baz! Looking forward to when you do start up again and seeing some of your stuff on here :Y:

This thread is Cooooool.... Keen to see more of Your pics of the ISS MT.... :Y:

Would be cool to get a pic of the ISS with Crew Dragon attached... The 27th of May, NASA and Spacex launch the first Human payload from the USA to the ISS since the last Shuttle mission in 2011.....

Im sure someone around the world will capture a cool pic or two...

Geez I didn't think this Telescope stuff costs sooooo much... Far-out... :eek:
And I thought a scope for $1000 was good... :8

LW.....

Thanks LW!
What got me interested again was the space thread on here, I mightn't comment on it much but I read every post. I'm after another dob for when there's regular flights to the ISS again. I might even go a smaller dob of 12 or 14 inches.
I have a picture of the ISS with a shuttle hanging off it I'll try and find. It's full of noise unfortunately as it's a single frame only I took back in about 2007 or 2008.

P.s...Baz is the imager, I don't have his talent. I mainly do the ISS and comets.

I have basically zero idea about the detail you blokes go into here, but the pictures and the passion come through.

Blown away at just the small amount of images here, truly fascinating.

Any way I just wanted to say thanks for keeping an interesting thread going and I for one look forward to seeing any member images you blokes care to put up in the future :Y:

They might be 'OLD AND DATED' to you Baz, but to us, they are absolutely brilliant..... :perfect: :clap:
My thoughts on Space, When I see images like that is...

"Man is pretty gullible if He thinks He is the only living 'thing' out there".... ;)

MT, I think you have posted that pic before on PA... I can remember seeing it and commented to Mrs Wolf about it awhile ago... That was a cool shot too... :Y:

LW...

Sandbagger said:
https://i.imgur.com/gnOrnoN.jpg

Hopefully when I get back into it, I will improve. By today's standards, these backyard images are not up to it.

Baz.

Thanks for sharing Baz

Images like the one above I assume took hundreds of shots that you later compiled into one , whats the average exposure time per shot and how many hours to produce that ?

CreviceSucker said:
Sandbagger said:
https://i.imgur.com/gnOrnoN.jpg

Hopefully when I get back into it, I will improve. By today's standards, these backyard images are not up to it.

Baz.

Thanks for sharing Baz

Images like the one above I assume took hundreds of shots that you later compiled into one , whats the average exposure time per shot and how many hours to produce that ?

Oh they vary mate. Some are only a single frame of 30 seconds. Others are multiple stacked frames of up to ten minutes each, all night to the tune of several hours of exposure data, captured and combined to produce a final image.

LoneWolf said:
They might be 'OLD AND DATED' to you Baz, but to us, they are absolutely brilliant..... :perfect: :clap:
My thoughts on Space, When I see images like that is...

"Man is pretty gullible if He thinks He is the only living 'thing' out there".... ;)

MT, I think you have posted that pic before on PA... I can remember seeing it and commented to Mrs Wolf about it awhile ago... That was a cool shot too... :Y:

LW...

I also used to work at the Canberra Deep Space Communications Centre, (CDSCC) AKA Canberra Tracking Station. My background in science communication and my astronomy studies have me open to all or nothing. I now lean towards nothing and here's why:

Once, the numbers of planets in habitable zones to be calculated around all the stars of the universe, gave a number that was so huge, all were convinced there would have to be other life, microbial or advanced civilisation, in more forms than we would guess. It was a certainty.

Now that the calculations have been done again and again countless times, those numbers have reduced and reduced each time, back so far the other way, that there's a pretty good chance - almost certain -that we are it - and until there is empirical evidence to suggest otherwise, it is just wishful thinking.

Let me put it this way - permutations - combinations - alignments for ideal conditions for life.

Our planet is the right size, composition, distance from the sun, spin speed, tilt, orbit, lunar companion to govern tidal circulation of heat, magnetosphere to protect from solar particles, ozone to protect from UV sterilisation, stable main-sequence star that unlike the vast majority of stars, has not fried it's entire solar system many times over. We have liquid water, organic chemicals in the right concentrations and stable environment long enough for life to survive and propagate. We have gas giants sweeping our solar system, vacuuming up debris that would otherwise pulverise our planet. We have a heliosphere that is strong enough and stable enough to protect us from the interstellar winds and our solar system is placed perfectly in a quiet zone between the Sagittarius and Orion arms of our milky way galaxy. Elsewhere our entire solar system would be ripped apart by the tidal forces of the galaxy.

These are but just a few of the staggeringly many conditions required for life of any kind. Change any one of these things by the smallest integer, things go very bad, very quickly, turning our oasis into a barren, sterile wasteland.

The combinations to have all this right are laughably improbable, if not impossible, even given the afore-mentioned, countless billions of stars in the universe.

Look at your simple pin number. There are 10,000 possible 4 digit combinations from 0-9, not to mention a DNA sequence being thousands of characters long for a simple protein and if it's in the wrong sequence, it doesn't work. Period.

I for one, would love the idea of another civilisation contacting us. I wish for it. Just think what we could learn, share and develop. It would change everything.

Most of us have a rather romantic notion of alien civilisations and if we are honest, it is a frightening concept to admit we might be utterly alone.

The more data we acquire and add into our super-computer calculations, given new methods and formula, computer models and algorithms, the more bleak the possibilities look.

Tabloids and, "scientific documentaries" on TV are a waste of anyone's time. Schooling ourselves with multiple credible sources and authorities that are actually doing the work is the only information us common people have that is worth forming some kind of opinion upon.

I'll leave you with this: Either life is a one-off, unique, never to be repeated occurrence, (so far this looks most likely) - or - if it has happened a SECOND time somewhere, anywhere, any time, then it is NOT unique, IS repeatable and therefore in a universe this big, life is everywhere. Not just one or two, but EVERYWHERE.

This is why I feel it is all or nothing. Mathematically, there is no in-between.

Just my humble opinion of course. :D

I disagree Baz.
Every night across the planet thousands upon thousands of amateur astronomers have their eyes focused on our skies. They have so for hundreds of years. Not once has anyone produced proof of life from anywhere apart from earth. You'd have a greater chance of finding a family of thylacines.
So while I agree there's no other life in our home solar system, I can't believe there isn't in others.

Not wanting to put a religious tilt on this, I'm neither religious nor not religious...I'm on the fence. But from a religious but probably frowned on point of view, if I was god and I had this infinite amount of space to muck about in, I sure as hell would get bored rather quickly with this one little dot of a planet and their inhabitants.

Over in the next universe, I might have another little experimental earth like planet and make ants top of the food chain and give them their own little bible.
A few universes over it might be the Sloths with their little version of the bible and so on an so on.
Maybe life forms but not carbon based like we are. Maybe we're looking for the wrong things. After all, the dude has all the time in the world not to mention the space and if he did create us he sure has one heck of an imagination.

Just over 100 years ago we were learning to leave the ground. Now we're thinking of heading to Mars and have probes leaving our solar system. Who knows what we'll find in the next 100 years.
But...should we be looking? Will we like what we find, will we be like what we find and will what we find like us?

Latest posts