Any astro buffs here?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sandbagger said:
Me ? An astro buff? Nah... don't think so...

Honestly, my observatory has been so full of storage from shuffling the property around, that I haven't used it in over a year! I'll have to start again as a beginner. The tech and processing software change so rapidly! A guy I introduced to astro and advised, has now surpassed me by a country mile in his astro imaging work. I think I'll go back to him when I'm ready.

Baz.

Mate....

1589278124_55e440a2-4751-418d-ad11-0b2e1325f34d.jpg

Superb , I am guessing you have taken decades to build up the experience to develop that.

Where can I read more info about your setup or similar such as the mate you mentioned has set up ?

My budget was up to $ 15 k but at a guess yours would be 4 - 6 times more ?

Thanks for sharing .

PS , I found your website and blog :Y:

$15k will get you a lot these days. Speak to Bintel in Sydney about your particular needs. Those guys live and breathe this stuff, so not just fancy salesmen.
https://www.bintel.com.au/?v=322b26af01d5

Depending on your needs you will need

A telescope - reflector or refractor
A SOLID mount - Equatorial or alt/azimuth
Cameras - modified DSLR/Dedicated CCD astrocam/Planetary camera/guide camera
A decent piggybacked guide scope
A computer
lots of expensive software
Dew shields/heaters
Warm clothing - you are going to be sitting still for hours in the cold night air.
a million other things that will drain your wallet dry - more than prospecting ever could.
Patience
An understanding spouse
A job that lets you catch up on lost sleep
No clouds
No moon - unless you are photographing it.
A butt load of determination and persistence.

Some things to consider.

1. Different telescopes for different things - a deep space scope is not necessarily any good for planetary, a powerful telescope is not necessarily ideal for anything but distant galaxies. etc etc...

2. Money talks. If you Scrooge, you will buy crap. Period.

3. A solid mount is just as important as the telescope itself.

4. Do you want to just look, or attach an advanced, cooled, CCD astrocamera?

5. Where do you live? Coastal, alpine. remote outback?

6. Do you want to travel with the scope and set it up each night, or do you want to establish a permanent building with a dome or roll off roof etc?

7. Do you have computer processing power to handle the huge data files that need to be combined to mak a single image? Do you have the image processing skills yourself?

8. Don't buy department store telescopes. Period.

9. It will really help to study astronomy. Become read. Keep spaceflight websites, space.com and nasa/esa/jpl websites bookmarked and check them often like a daily newspaper. It really helps you in this hobby to understand what you are looking at.

10. be prepared for flame wars on forums from creationist/evolution wankers. I'm a creationist/intelligent design myself, but never enter into childish arguments with internet keyboard warriors on either side. Also watch out for pixel peeping, arrogant elitists, who constantly criticise your work as you grow and learn. Many forget that they started out as a noob once. Just go about your hobby and have fun, without giving one toss about who likes your work, agrees with your views or not.

11. HAVE FUN! Remember, once you get into this, the sky is no longer the limit.

My 12 inch RC from GSO cost me about $4k.
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/b...etien-astrograph-carbon-fibre/?v=322b26af01d5

The mount under it cost $4.5K at the time. Here's today's improved equivalent.
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/e...d-aluminium-case-tripod-green/?v=322b26af01d5

I built the observatory over a couple of years, costing me about $13K. Cameras and computer gear around $5k.

So much to learn and it takes years. I hope this helps the OP of the thread, and anyone else curious about getting into astro.

Baz.

Thanks Baz but I've actually been involved in astronomy for more years than I can remember. Got out of clubs and forums because of the 'my d!ck is bigger than yours' mindset.

All I wanted from this thread was to know if anyone had any experience with the Explore Scientific brand of large Dobs as I haven't and from what I've seen on line they look well built.
I don't want to go down the path of building another one. I've previously built a 16 and a 20.

Cheers.

madtuna said:
Thanks Baz but I've actually been involved in astronomy for more years than I can remember. Got out of clubs and forums because of the 'my d!ck is bigger than yours' mindset.

All I wanted from this thread was to know if anyone had any experience with the Explore Scientific brand of large Dobs as I haven't and from what I've seen on line they look well built.
I don't want to go down the path of building another one. I've previously built a 16 and a 20.

Cheers.

Yep, it was their type that made me leave a certain large forum. I was even threatened. No time for that crap.

Sounds like you probably know more about it than I do mate. I've only looked through a few large Dobs and Newts, never owned one. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Baz.

Probably the same certain large forum I left. Some good people but way too much d!ck measuring.
I wouldn't say I know heaps at all, astronomy you're forever learning and your interests change as you learn something else.

I used to enjoy imaging, but then found I enjoyed looking more. Then I got into chasing the space station about the sky with dobs and imaging that, so built a dob. Then I built a bigger dob.

Some time the anticipation and preparation of a good shuttle pass was half the excitement...and then it was over in a couple of minutes. Some times the wait was for weeks, months or even a year or more. To get a shot of the station transiting the moon or one with the shuttle hanging off the bottom.

Much good fun! :D

Sandbagger said:
$15k will get you a lot these days. Speak to Bintel in Sydney about your particular needs. Those guys live and breathe this stuff, so not just fancy salesmen.
https://www.bintel.com.au/?v=322b26af01d5

Thanks Baz , you have saved me alot of research time there and still lots of reading to do yet , much appreciated.
FWIW the answers applicable to me are in bold below

Depending on your needs you will need

A telescope - reflector or refractor
A SOLID mount - Equatorial or alt/azimuth
Cameras - modified DSLR/Dedicated CCD astrocam/Planetary camera/guide camera
A decent piggybacked guide scope
A computer
lots of expensive software
Dew shields/heaters
Warm clothing - you are going to be sitting still for hours in the cold night air.
a million other things that will drain your wallet dry - more than prospecting ever could.
Patience
An understanding spouse
Not sure about that , she thinks Astronomy is playing with Tarot Cards. (a.s.t.r.o.l.o.g.y)
A job that lets you catch up on lost sleep
No clouds
No moon - unless you are photographing it.
A butt load of determination and persistence.

Some things to consider.

1. Different telescopes for different things - a deep space scope is not necessarily any good for planetary, a powerful telescope is not necessarily ideal for anything but distant galaxies. etc etc...
Damn , I am new to this apart from visiting a few observatories and i didnt know that deep space scopes will not also serve as a planetary scope , i would have liked to do both.
2. Money talks. If you Scrooge, you will buy crap. Period.
:perfect:
3. A solid mount is just as important as the telescope itself.
:perfect:
4. Do you want to just look, or attach an advanced, cooled, CCD astrocamera?
CCD Astrocamera for me as i feel i will spend more time with my eye on the sky if i set up my viewing position to be as comfortable as possible for long periods , plus i want to save images on PC in the highest resolution i can afford.
5. Where do you live? Coastal, alpine. remote outback?
The property is at 680 metres altitude but i didnt study cloud history to see how many nights of viewing i will get compared to other locations , its 1 hour inland and 2.5 hours south of Sydney.
6. Do you want to travel with the scope and set it up each night, or do you want to establish a permanent building with a dome or roll off roof etc?
Permanent dome with powered rotation indexed to the scope.
7. Do you have computer processing power to handle the huge data files that need to be combined to make a single image? Do you have the image processing skills yourself?
No , I need to upgrade what i have and learn image processing with whatever the current proven software is.
8. Don't buy department store telescopes. Period.

9. It will really help to study astronomy. Become read. Keep spaceflight websites, space.com and nasa/esa/jpl websites bookmarked and check them often like a daily newspaper. It really helps you in this hobby to understand what you are looking at.
:Y:
10. be prepared for flame wars on forums from creationist/evolution wankers. I'm a creationist/intelligent design myself, but never enter into childish arguments with internet keyboard warriors on either side. Also watch out for pixel peeping, arrogant elitists, who constantly criticise your work as you grow and learn. Many forget that they started out as a noob once. Just go about your hobby and have fun, without giving one toss about who likes your work, agrees with your views or not.

11. HAVE FUN! Remember, once you get into this, the sky is no longer the limit.
:clap: :100:
My 12 inch RC from GSO cost me about $4k.
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/b...etien-astrograph-carbon-fibre/?v=322b26af01d5
:clap: :Y:
The mount under it cost $4.5K at the time. Here's today's improved equivalent.
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/e...d-aluminium-case-tripod-green/?v=322b26af01d5
:clap: :Y:
I built the observatory over a couple of years, costing me about $13K. Cameras and computer gear around $5k.
I already have some materials, parts , drives , slew bearings required for the Observatory but it could cost another $ 3000.
So much to learn and it takes years. I hope this helps the OP of the thread, and anyone else curious about getting into astro.

Baz.

CS...another good shop to keep an eye on is Andrews communications in Sydney http://www.andrewscom.com.au/optical-telescopes

From what I understand there was some bad blood between Lee Andrews and Bintel so he goes out of his way to beat him in prices just to get up his nose :D
I've spent thousands with Andrews and have never had one bad dealing and actually saved thousands over what I would have paid elsewhere.

If visual astronomy is your interest, don't scrimp on eye pieces. Quality eye pieces like the Tele-Vue Ethos series can run up to $1500 each but are a worthwhile investment that wont let you down. Some good bargains to be had second hand too.

edit: bugger....sorry just read your last post and imaging is your interest.
As Baz said, a good mount is half of it. A good scope and camera will take a sh!t picture on a bad mount where as a mediocre camera and scope can take exceptional pictures on a good mount.

Some good Losmandy G11 turn up occasionally for under $3000 complete with the gemini tracking systems :Y:

Actually mate, I've got a big set of Andrews astro binoculars here I was thinking of putting in the for sale section.

My daughter is going to dig out some of my astro gear she's lovingly looked after for a few years, crate it up and send it over. :Y:

I'm still contemplating a large dob though.

madtuna said:
Actually mate, I've got a big set of Andrews astro binoculars here I was thinking of putting in the for sale section.

My daughter is going to dig out some of my astro gear she's lovingly looked after for a few years, crate it up and send it over. :Y:

I'm still contemplating a large dob though.

Fare enough Steve you don't need any binos .
My biggest dob is just a 12 inch but if your into contrast fine detain stuff I have an early superb 10inch F6.2 Mark Suching figured strut dob I can offer .
Will try to get pic up .

May be to small for you ?

Cheers
jack

Interested Jack. Mark used to build superb mirrors.
Also details on focuser, eye piece size it takes, does it have a fan etc and of cause price.

Cheers!

madtuna said:
Interested Jack. Mark used to build superb mirrors.
Also details on focuser, eye piece size it takes, does it have a fan etc and of cause price.

Cheers!

Hi again ,
Found some old pics of the scope , still have the original solid white tube also with the primitive rack & pinion focuser

The focuser is a Helical that's set up for inch & a quarter eyepieces but can take 2"
No fan as I never needed one .
Has a base for a finder only.
I did replace the secondary mirror long ago & have the original somewhere .
Main mirror still has it's original coating but could do with a recoat .

Price is 6 grams of gold ' but this could wait till after you get to play with the scope .

1589686391_s6300281.jpg

1589686481_dob_10_inch.jpg
1589686587_telescope_10_inch.jpg

I didn't build it ' only put the wheels on as it was a heavy beast , I've had it close to twenty years now .
The guy who built it was a fitter & turner ' he did a good job but for the weight .

Trouble is recoating is so exspensive these days :argh:

madtuna said:
Did you build it Jack? If the Satchmo mirrors can be redone it would have the basics for building a good pier mounted newt :D

And for CreviceSucker I think I've just spent most of his $15000
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/coo...escope-celestron-c14-on-a-me-mount/1244400066

thankyou MT

He wants $ 15,000 for the 3.5m Dome , no idea what Sirius Observatories charge for a new one yet but they look pretty sexy.

The scope is a 2005 model so the optics would have to be checked out for mould / alien cumstains etc O:)

The ME mount is also dated but probably had very little use , its replacement , the MEii is $ 30,000 :eek: :eek: :eek:

The computer end is not included , but he has a few eyepieces with it.

I had the same scope on a Losmandy Titan mount, always wanted a paramount. I think they're about $12000+ on their own and not sure what a C14 is worth now a days.
Usually you'll find someone who has invested that amount in a set up like that the gear would be in pristine condition especially housed in a dome. Saying that, always worth checking the optics out.

Age in scopes often doesn't mean a thing, often earlier models are better, later models is where they cut corners to reign in costs and up profits.
I still have a Vixen Fluorite refractor that must be 20 years old and is as good as the day it was born, would pass as brand new.

As for the dome...nice but expensive. I've scored a poly water tank that will be decked out and a roll off roof built for it. :Y:

I have a Losmandy G11 my daughter is sending over. It doesn't have Gemini GOTO but has Argo Navis.
They are a rock solid mount and I will never part with it. :Y:

Latest posts