Any astro buffs here?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stuff,
That is top shelf equipment there.
I do not own one but have seen one
in operation.
Dobsonian is the Ducks Nuts.

I have a National Geographic 7 inch refactor.
Can see the rings of Saturn easily but would
like a better setup.
When I can afford it.

For planetary observation they are brilliant but I mainly want to photograph the space station.
I've never used or seen their gear before but it looks well made. Years ago it cost me more to build one.

ahh thanks mate... thought they might be tied up with Williams Optics or Vixen of which I've had both and didn't mind for photography.

Thanks for the link, not a big fan of Skywatcher stuff (or collapsible dobs) though it's good value for dollar :Y:

I am a bit like a couple of the other contributors, have no direct information regarding your planned Dobsonian, but telescopes can be fun to play with, but also eat a few $$. I did a Donsonian when a travelling person would run sky night sessions in a caravan park about 8 years ago, but the Dobsonians are not often used with automatic tracking gear.
I made my first Newtonian telescope by grinding, figuring and polishing the 8" glass blanks myself. That was followed by making the tube, equatorial mount, and even a ratchet eyepiece holder. That took more than 10 years with 2 house moves in between, but it is so big and awkward to move in and out of the garage, that I even considered making a permanent observatory for it. It ended its initial use when a work associate dropped and broke the mirror, so I purchased a replacement mirror rather than doing the whole grind job again.
But rather than building its own little observatory, I ended up purchasing a 200mm Schmitt Cassegrain with its own motorised mount and it could be packed away in a nice padded box.

The whole topic can be a bit addictive, but I must admit I have not used either of those for probably 5 years. I still follow several related topics on Youtube.

Let us know if you get something.

Rob P.

Nightjar said:
Steve, Adrian over on the "yellow forum" is forever looking into the sky.
Thanks Pete...I've been banned from over there :D Followed Adrians threads but I think he mainly uses an SLR camera not scopes.

PabloP said:
I am a bit like a couple of the other contributors, have no direct information regarding your planned Dobsonian, but telescopes can be fun to play with, but also eat a few $$. I did a Donsonian when a travelling person would run sky night sessions in a caravan park about 8 years ago, but the Dobsonians are not often used with automatic tracking gear.
I made my first Newtonian telescope by grinding, figuring and polishing the 8" glass blanks myself. That was followed by making the tube, equatorial mount, and even a ratchet eyepiece holder. That took more than 10 years with 2 house moves in between, but it is so big and awkward to move in and out of the garage, that I even considered making a permanent observatory for it. It ended its initial use when a work associate dropped and broke the mirror, so I purchased a replacement mirror rather than doing the whole grind job again.
But rather than building its own little observatory, I ended up purchasing a 200mm Schmitt Cassegrain with its own motorised mount and it could be packed away in a nice padded box.

The whole topic can be a bit addictive, but I must admit I have not used either of those for probably 5 years. I still follow several related topics on Youtube.

Let us know if you get something.

Rob P.
Thanks Rob.
Zillions of Dobs use tracking mounts and are software run now, but I don't really need or have a want for a tracking mount on a Dob. It's purely for hand tracking and filming the space station through a Telrad style finder, something I used to enjoy a number of years ago with some good results. The skies here lend themselves to it and a large Dob is perfect for the task....plus the odd DSO :D

I've built a couple of Dobs in the past, a 16" and a 20". Didn't make the mirrors but had them made for me in the USA. I know what you mean by eating dollars though, I could have bought another house with what I've spent on scopes and cameras. :eek:

madtuna said:
Nightjar said:
Steve, Adrian over on the "yellow forum" is forever looking into the sky.
Thanks Pete...I've been banned from over there :D Followed Adrians threads but I think he mainly uses an SLR camera not scopes.

I also got banned from that site ' I had the hide to say the place was stuffed after QED talk was culled , I talked about this on another site :eek:
It all happened when they made those 2 dopes mods !
That forum I feel will never recover it's previous influence & just fade away ....... :N:

jack

Hi Steve
I had a explore scientific got rid of it and bought a meade lx200 16f/10 ace much better scope for the stars and photo purity , both these scopes would not be any good for space station photos , because of the speed in which it travels at through the sky use a very good camera with a good zoom lens

Hi Mate, thanks but photographing the space station used to be a hobby of mine. Dobs are by far the best suited.
You track it by eye through a Telrad finder and hand guide it keeping the red dot on the station. Web cam in the view finder videoing it and select and stack frames.

This Meade 12" sold on ebay last week for $ 7500

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Large-T...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Its not quite what i am looking for though.

What i want is similar size , fitted with full tracking and a HD CCD camera so i can sit on the sofa with the remote in my hand and view the image on a large screen 4K TV screen with the ability to take screenshots of anything profoundly interesting and save them on the PC.

I also plan to build an observatory one day.

One of our members from Sydney built from memory a 12" and 16" Dob'

Blessed with good skies Tath...good view of the comet the other night :Y:

Me ? An astro buff? Nah... don't think so...

VgKPGwn.jpg

Qfle5GS.jpg

BPSBNcu.jpg

HDK8Tm2.jpg

MXu3lay.jpg

Honestly, my observatory has been so full of storage from shuffling the property around, that I haven't used it in over a year! I'll have to start again as a beginner. The tech and processing software change so rapidly! A guy I introduced to astro and advised, has now surpassed me by a country mile in his astro imaging work. I think I'll go back to him when I'm ready.

Baz.

So Baz
Crack Scratch maker
Knife Maker
Space ship builder - (probably rocket scientist)
Builder of observatories

Can't wait till we find out what your next trick is.. :Y:

Latest posts