DIY Backpacking Sluice Design?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Once the lockdown is lifted, I fancy building a small packable sluice..As a complete novice I was wondering if anybody could point me to any plans?

I may be able to source a 400mm X 150mm X 50mm length of extruded aluminium channel..would this be suitable for the main body?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Use the search icon top left :power: there's plenty to choose from you'll just need to sift (sive) through the threads :beer:

RM Outback said:
Use the search icon top left :power: there's plenty to choose from you'll just need to sift (sive) through the threads :beer:

Thanks for that...I did do a search and found some interesting threads, but there just seems to be so many different design features and variations of them...

The other complication is that not all the materials you guys discuss are easily available or if they, they are really expensive, so I need to source some equivalents over here...

Look into marine ply - it is lightweight, strong and very water resistant with a simple layer of paint on it :)
My original sluice I built is still holding up after many uses!

Goldpin Prospecting said:
Look into marine ply - it is lightweight, strong and very water resistant with a simple layer of paint on it :)
My original sluice I built is still holding up after many uses!

Funnily enough I was think about ply, although being a cheap skate, I was considering exterior grade ply lol

Can I ask the size of your sluice and what thickness ply you used? If you could post a pic that would be most appreciated..

Regards,

Peter

Pete E said:
Funnily enough I was think about ply, although being a cheap skate, I was considering exterior grade ply lol

Can I ask the size of your sluice and what thickness ply you used? If you could post a pic that would be most appreciated..

Regards,

Peter

I used 6mm marine ply. The sluice is about 7" wide and 2ft long. It is VERY light which is a bonus. Built August 2018 and still together today!

1588894042_20180806_190237_-_copy.jpg

1588894042_20180902_125457_-_copy.jpg

Latest posts