Need help with dirt ID

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All

Im just checking out some new areas here in orange and I need some help with
these diggings I found.

I want to detect here but as always research is key and i dont want to waste my time.
I have attached some photos of the layers of dirt.

As always the old timers were digging down to the bottom and there a number of pockets
where they have taken out some paydirt. there is a lot of holes so I assume there was a lot of pay dirt here.
But the layers are a bit puzzling.

There is hardly any overburden at the top it jumps right into a whiteish clayey talcy substance.
Then a massive layer of sharp shale conglomerate. then into a more red clayey mixture. all the layers are hardended.
but not rock hard. at the bottom of some of the diggings are quartz/feldspar rocks but no rocks here are water worn.

What do you think?

My main question is is it worth detecting here as the top layer could have some gold?
regards
1588132216_img_5849.jpg

It looks interesting, and from what you describe I would put my detector on the ground.
As for wasting time, prospecting has never been an easy time saving short cut adventure, get out there and enjoy the fresh air ;)

Latest posts