Crazies In The Outback?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As a Brit who has never been to Oz, I was wondering how safe you guys feel when out in the bush or even in some of the outback towns ect?

The Press over here seems to love covering the various hitchhiker abductions /murders ect, very often hinting at at the presence of a sort of a drug fuelled Mad Max / Outlaw bikers sub culture being to blame...

One story I recall was a prospector and his wife who went missing while out looking for gold and it was several weeks before the husband's battered body was found down an old mine shaft and the body of the wife was never found...I don't think the Police ever charged anyone over that, and many disputed any foul play took place at all?

So anybody have any interesting "encounters" while out on the back roads or in the bush?

Jaros said:
Have you seen any Wolf Creek movies? :(

Had to Google that to see what you meant! lol

Films like that are not really my cup of tea, but I guess that's the stereo type the media like to push...

It's all true... went to see grandad the other day
1588035561_screenshot_2020-04-28-10-54-00.jpg

Roads over here were still fairly busy
1588035667_screenshot_2020-04-28-10-53-23.jpg

Daughter just likes hanging out on the way
1588035794_screenshot_2020-04-28-10-56-07.jpg

Youngest son likes hitting the main drag when he visits his Grandy's
1588035891_screenshot_2020-04-28-10-54-14.jpg

Took his little girly friend along this time too
1588035993_screenshot_2020-04-28-10-54-41.jpg

I gave his old shite box a run for bog roll.... just so's the engine wont seize up on him
1588036181_screenshot_2020-04-28-10-54-55.jpg

I like the sunsets way out there
1588036270_screenshot_2020-04-28-10-55-37.jpg

Ahh... you can almost see the city
1588036342_screenshot_2020-04-28-10-55-08.jpg

Back home and the eldest son is sending his kids back off to preschool for the week
1588036455_screenshot_2020-04-28-10-53-47.jpg

Pretty much typical of people down this way.... it's how we live. :D

No crazies in the outback....that's all myth. I'd imagine I'm probably pretty typical of what sort of person you'd likely run into.

Here's me on one of my nightly naked jogs....

aLJ89vM.jpg

Here's my last guest settling down for a nap....

qaLsfRr.jpg

Here's my lovely cat 'Felix' fetching my slippers...

9bxhqj3.jpg

Don't try and pat him though...

bgDksBo.jpg

Here's one of my 5 star breakfasts typical of what I serve guests....

v72ovVc.jpg

Pete E said:
So anybody have any interesting "encounters" while out on the back roads or in the bush?

When I was in my mid 20's a girlfriend and I were hard at it in a secluded carpark at the end of a long winding coastal track in the middle of winter late at night. Headlights appeared behind us from the other side of the carpark. It stopped, put on it's high beams and then came screaming up behind us. I'd left the keys in the ignition so I jumped into the drivers seat, started the old HQ wagon, steering hard left and bagged it up with just enough room to spin around in the room I'd left between us and the edge of the carpark. I floored it with us both completely nude, straight across to the exit and down the track with the idiot (who was probably only having a laugh- but then again he could have been a nut job) following closely behind us for a short while until giving up. We drove hammering it along for a good 10 mins or so back along the winding road, to the little town that was dead quiet in the off-season, with no Police Station. I pulled up on the side of the road, not realizing that my girlfriend had gotten dressed again as we hammered down the road. Only to realize that we were lucky there weren't any cops or anyone around in the town, as there I was sitting at the steering wheel with nothing but a condom on............. :D

Wild pigs and camels could be a problem.
I've seen plenty of tracks but no incidents yet. :/

I keep my pick nice and sharp at the pointy end.

Before leaving for both my overseas extended stays (26 months total) all I heard was about the outlaws, gangs, drug cartels, kidnappings, corrupt police, worse politcal conditions, disease, dangerous animals etc.

I saw one puma, 1 dead body, and was shot once by the miltary breaking up a protest. I came back with a couple of bones broken in my right hand.

2 years as a "gringo" standing out at over 6 feet tall with a mate 6 inch taller again, a blonde Swede.

Point Im making is whatever advice or warnings you recieve just play it smart and safe and odds are you will be just fine.

Theres danger anywhere you go, but Australia is full of order and good people, good medical and used to overseas tourists. We speak the same language so communication isnt hard. Odds are you will run into a few of your mob out here, virus aside. Noone can promise "safe" but Id guess the biggest danger to you out here is well, you.

Bad :poop: happens all the time. Spend time looking at the good info and no need to get anxious.

Cheers.

OldGT said:
Before leaving for both my overseas extended stays (26 months total) all I heard was about the outlaws, gangs, drug cartels, kidnappings, corrupt police, worse politcal conditions, disease, dangerous animals etc.

I saw one puma, 1 dead body, and was shot once by the miltary breaking up a protest. I came back with a couple of bones broken in my right hand.

2 years as a "gringo" standing out at over 6 feet tall with a mate 6 inch taller again, a blonde Swede.

Point Im making is whatever advice or warnings you recieve just play it smart and safe and odds are you will be just fine.

Theres danger anywhere you go, but Australia is full of order and good people, good medical and used to overseas tourists. We speak the same language so communication isnt hard. Odds are you will run into a few of your mob out here, virus aside. Noone can promise "safe" but Id guess the biggest danger to you out here is well, you.

Bad :poop: happens all the time. Spend time looking at the good info and no need to get anxious.

Cheers.

PS. I should clarify I wasnt shot by a metal projectile, rather a non piercing ricochet. Just in case any kids or curious adults were concerned. And the broken bones were entirely my fault from putting my hand in a place where it would only end badly.

Ded Driver said:
In all seriousness tho', YOU are the biggest risk to yourself. Its all about common sense & preparation
have a read through here

I would say that pretty much applies the world over....

As others have said, I am generally feel a lot safer out in the sticks than I do in any city, especially at night...

That said, I can think of a few things I have seen that kinda made me do a double take...

A hunting club I am in has a cottage where we stay for weekends..it's not a remote area by any means and the forest we hunt is crossed with a few country roads and is heavily used by the locals...

In one spot a just few minutes walk from the cottage we have a tower high seat on the edge of some thick woodland looking over a replant...I have used the seat dozens of times as have countless others in the club over the years....one day one of the guys gets out of the seat, and pushes into the thick woodland at the rear..he only goes a few yards in and finds the remains of a body, head detached, with a rope and noose still tied in the tree above him... The police investigation found deceased had travelled to the area from quite a distance away and had been missing for a couple of years...it seems all the times we had been using the seat, the poor bugger had been hanging, and then later lying there about 50 feet away...

Another time we had a visit from the police asking us to look out for two missing children that had been abducted from their home not too far away...the bodies of the two little girls were eventually found in the forest by a dog walker about 5 miles away, :8 hidden in a shallow grave... :(

In a completely different area, I once found a couple of sites that were being used by local witches to do what ever ceremonies they do in the woods...I gave that area a wide birth after that!.lol

Bjay said:
Yep you guys got probably more crazys over there than ever get over here.

Stands to reason its just a big crazy city after all :playful: Nutters are everywhere no matter where we live and with the modern day chemistry (dam it's clever description) it can go from normal to mental in a matter of nano seconds unfortunately. So common sense and awareness are your best friend :beer:

Latest posts