Tilley Lantern 1940's

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightjar

Contributor Plus
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for some help locating spares for this lamp.
Tilley Kerosene Pressure Lamp.
Can't find any identification marks other than Tilley - Made in England.
Can remember as a kid this was the type of lighting we had on the farm. (No electricity)
Also remember sitting on the beach with it glowing while Dad had a line in the water.
Have given it a bit of a clean up and all I need to get it going is a "Double Tie Mantle."
Googled but can only find them in UK at exorbitant prices and postage.
Does anyone know who or where they may have them in Australia?

1587631922_tilley_lantern_002.jpg

1587631923_tilley_lantern_001.jpg

I remember in the U.K. as a kid we had a kero lamp , with a mantle , but it was only for heating .

Im pretty sure any camping store would have them
It wasnt so long ago , i bought them in KMart (actually it was a few years ago now?)

Used to have one when I was a kid that ran on shellite. was really scary to light just pump up pressure, turn on & light used to go whoomp. Brother had it, when I asked about it, that old thing i threw it up the dump. :mad:

Nightjar said:
Can remember as a kid this was the type of lighting we had on the farm. (No electricity)
Also remember sitting on the beach with it glowing while Dad had a line in the water.
Have given it a bit of a clean up and all I need to get it going is a "Double Tie Mantle."

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1414/1587631922_tilley_lantern_002.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1414/1587631923_tilley_lantern_001.jpg

NJ, I got a couple in the house here,

How About I order you half a dozen as an early Christmas present, :Y:

Nightjar said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1414/1587631922_tilley_lantern_002.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1414/1587631923_tilley_lantern_001.jpg

Maybe have a read of this.

Non radio active mantles are available today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_mantle

The lamps that ran on Shellite [ petrol] were made by Coleman USA . I still have a stove made by them that runs on Shellite . Kicks out plenty of heat .

Mike678 said:
The lamps that ran on Shellite [ petrol] were made by Coleman USA . I still have a stove made by them that runs on Shellite . Kicks out plenty of heat .

The UK Tilley Branded ones ran on Kero "Paraffin" and the stoves ran on kero but you had to start them with Methylated Spirits, which is a purple liquid and not like what we call Metho,

Shellite was a seperate fuel product & I stand to be corrected if wrong but I believe it was used extensively in dry-cleaning. This being why a lot of dry-cleaners had fire's because of it's volatility & Mike your right it was a Coleman still have a Kero one as well as a tilly that won't hold the pressure for long. I think the problem with the tilly is the seal between the tank and top of unit.

Visited our local Bunnings today to get a bottle of Metho & kero to fire up the old Tilley, got the kero, no metho, sold out for cleaning/disinfectant or to top up the bar......
RR, thanks for the offer, looked up a few UK outlets the postage is more than the mantles, will keep looking here in Oz.

Nightjar said:
Visited our local Bunnings today to get a bottle of Metho & kero to fire up the old Tilley, got the kero, no metho, sold out for cleaning/disinfectant or to top up the bar......
RR, thanks for the offer, looked up a few UK outlets the postage is more than the mantles, will keep looking here in Oz.

NJ, I can buy them and post them for less than 10 bucks if you want them, Just let me know the Model number of the Lamp,

Just let me know and I will sort it for you, Ok,

J.

In my lantern above, Spare kit has 5 of them.

Pressure pump lower valve is gummed up though.
Now soaking. :)
Also has the tool in it if needed.
Is still in it's original box.
Pressure pump missing it's knob.
Better get another one. :Y: