Who wants to cut my sapphires?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicko98

Nick
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im looking for someone to cut some stones Ive purchased recently. Im wanting to get it done by someone on prospecting Australia ?
Smallest stone is just shy of 8ct

If youre interested, message me and Ill send some photos.

Hey Nick

Posted a lengthy reply but it seems to have got lost.

Several issues with cutting your rough sapphire the first is the main one and that is your expectations with regard the yield. You can expect only a return of around 20 -30% (depending on the cut and the symmetry with regard the rough piece and the cut) so you may only be looking at a 2 ct stone from that 8 ct rough and that is also dependent on whether or not there are cracks or imperfections in the rough and the symmetry (even a dimple or slight dip in one plane can reduce the yield even more).

There is also the issue with colour - sapphires may not have a consistency of colour thus require consideration as to whether to cut with the table or cross-table to get the best out of the stone (you can have the stone heat treated pre cutting to improve the consistency of colour) - there are also mixed colour (parti) stones which also need consideration to achieve the best out of each piece.

Anyone can cut your stones (I cut but am not offering as although I am an experienced cutter I am not a professional) but it takes someone who knows Sapphires to get the best out of them for you. Unfortunately the expertise comes at a cost - some charge by the carat and some an hourly rate (cutting a small stone still involves a lot of time (my best is around 3 hours) so those charging by the carat may also have a base minimum fee).

Can I suggest you go on the 'Spectrum Gems and Gemcutting' FB page and seek advice there (Cindy Kelly is the Admin and she is, if not the best, one of the best and most experienced cutters in the Qld Gemfields). If you have small stuff you could send them over to Lamberts Industries in Thailand - mixed thoughts there, I found them to be very ethical but others may differ, they are cheap but I think you would only get a pretty clinical cut without the considerations I have mentioned and it may take 6 months or so to get your stones back.

All the best.