Your Best Coil And On What Machine?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not. Great coil for me. Found plenty with it. Cant really decide between it and the fifteen as theyve both been good to me. :goldnugget:

G'day

I bought and used the NF 12" evolution coil on my early model 4500 and as I was not overly impressed with it, my mate also used one on his late model 4500 and he was not fussed with it either, but he does really like the 15" evo coil which he finds runs more quietly, its all about sensitivity and sometimes depending on the ground type we have found that an overly sensitive coil can be problematic, the benefits of the coil having greater sensitivity can also be its downfall in some ground conditions and it can tend to become erratic and have sporadic falsing making it harder to use, much like using a minelab 8" mono around banded ironstone areas.

I have found the minelab commander 11" mono better in these conditions as it is not overly sensitive but is a far better coil to use on hot iffy ground where there is a problem with hot spots and variable conditions, running more quietly is the key to getting deeper gold as the target signals can be vague and very easily missed if the coil you are using is noisy and unstable, they will also go very deep for the size as it has proven time and time again, a lot of people don't use them in favor of something else maybe this is only because it comes as stock standard with the Gpx machines, but in my opinion and experience it is a very much underated coil.

I once saw on a interview with Bruce Candy by Jonathan Porter, Jonathan asked him what the optimum coil size was for the pi machines, not sure what year or what model pi machines he was referring to but his reply was a 15" round coil?, I found that interesting because minelab do every size and shape coil but not a 15" round coil in either mono or dd version?, with this in mind I was thinking that the 15" evolution round mono coil could very well be the best size to use on pi machine but more particularly on the Gpx models, I have not used one on my 4500 but have been tossing the notion of getting one about for awhile, but also still would consider the 18" round as well as I have been hearing that they are also a very good coil too, all you can do is use the "suck and see" method and buy one and try it for yourself, its the best way to find out what will best suit you and what works the best in the ground conditions that you normally detect in.

cheers

stayyerAU

Benj308 said:
I have the 12x8 and 15 inch evo for my gpx4500 and have found all my gold with the 12x8 and nothing with the 15inch. So I would have to say the 12x8 is my favourite, mind you its on the machine 99% of the time and I havent given the 15inch a good go.

The 15 evo is a fantastic coil you will be amazed at what it finds

Peko said:
Benj308 said:
I have the 12x8 and 15 inch evo for my gpx4500 and have found all my gold with the 12x8 and nothing with the 15inch. So I would have to say the 12x8 is my favourite, mind you its on the machine 99% of the time and I havent given the 15inch a good go.

The 15 evo is a fantastic coil you will be amazed at what it finds
Looking forward to seeing what it can do on the gold!! I was amazed at how small the metal was that it was picking up!!

Digging up an old thread
Just bought a 5000 after being out of the game for 5 odd years
And would like to pair with an evo 12 or 15 ?
or are there better coils?

Will be detecting golden triangle vic

Cheers ??

I have been using the nugget finder 12" z search lately, and found it to be a very good coil for the gpz. I have not seen an x coil used yet, but they are reportable even better. I can't complain though, it found nuggets from .3 of a gram to 7 oz. Deepest was a speccie with obout 40 grams of gold, at a pick length deep.also a bit lighter and balances better than the standard 14",

Latest posts