Your Best Coil And On What Machine?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the 12x8 and 15 inch evo for my gpx4500 and have found all my gold with the 12x8 and nothing with the 15inch. So I would have to say the 12x8 is my favourite, mind you its on the machine 99% of the time and I havent given the 15inch a good go.

Benj308 said:
I have the 12x8 and 15 inch evo for my gpx4500 and have found all my gold with the 12x8 and nothing with the 15inch. So I would have to say the 12x8 is my favourite, mind you its on the machine 99% of the time and I havent given the 15inch a good go.

The 15" will come into it's own when you hit some really hot ground that is a bit too difficult to work with the 12x8".

I recently did a test on a very flat thin piece of gold and I thought the 14x9" Evo would cream the 15" round. I was quite surprised when the 15" round went deeper.

Ive been going over the ground where I have found gold with the 12x8 with the 15inch but I havent found anything yet. Early days though. :D I actually bought the 15 for deeper ground but havent figured out what that is or looks like yet. :lol:

Still love the 17"on the CTX3030 - The trick is knowing how to swing it and and settings for ground conditions. Love it even in trashy ground but a PITA in tight scrub LOL.

Have a 7000 now, but upgrading from the 11 commander on the GPX 5000 to the 15 Nugget Finder Evo made a big difference. Paid for itself in no time.

My best combo would be the 17 x 13 evo on a 5000. As close to a 7000 as it gets. (my ears and I have owned both) if its messy with a lot of bracken etc the 14 x 9 evo also goes pretty well.

GT :goldnugget: :pickshovel:

Recently upgraded from the 11 inch commander mono to 15 inch nugget finder on the gp3000 Ill let you know how it goes

G'day

Its a fact that some coils will work better on some detector models than they will do on others, what works well on a gpx5000 wont necessarily work well on an early model 4500 and so forth, but what will work well on the 5000 will also work well on the later version 4500, and this is also effected by where you are using the coil as the ground conditions from state to state can also have a part to play in it.

Every detector I have owned I follow the same procedure, I buy and test multiple coils before I settle on a few that I have found to be the most productive and also the easiest to use, you don't have to buy new coils to do this and one of the reasons I say this is because some of the early version coils that people no longer want to use because they are not the latest and greatest can be found to work extremely well on later machines of course providing they are in good working order, for instance through trial and error I have found that the early version Nuggetfinder SL coils, the light grey predecessors to the Advantage models work very well on the early 4500 where they are not as bright on the 5000 and later 4500.

I replaced the Advantage ones I had and normally used and found to be ok but not great ,with the NF SL coils, so I have the 10" round that is very hard coil to get but very hot on the 4500, plus the 14" round, 16" round and 20" round, the only other coils I have and use are the early model minelab supergoldsearch 8" mono and the minelab commander 11" mono, on occasion I use the nuggetfinder 12x8 advantage mono as I have not been able to lay my hands on a similar sized SL version to replace it with, last season bought the camo coiltek 9" flat wound mono to try out, but I a still undecided on that coil as I have not used it very much.

I was not overly impressed with the nuggetfinder evolution 12" mono in WA ground conditions I found it to be erratic and a bit dull compared with what other coils I had been using but you still have to try them out for yourself as also what might suit you may not suit others and vice versa, its a case of suck and see, but its worth the exercise if you want to do better on the gold, and also don't fall into the trap of just using a single coil all the time, changing coils for different conditions and ground types can make all the difference to your finds.

cheers

stayyerAU

I have a near new 11" Detech Ultra that anybody can have for half price and I'll pay for the postage.

I also have a 12x8 NF Evo that will find very small gold but it's a quite a disappointment as well. It has very poor sensitivity on the perimeter of the coil. Trying to pinpoint a nugget that's down a bit is very difficult because the best signal is right under the centre of the coil. There's very little chance of finding a nugget that is located close to a tree or rock. It loves hot rocks too. :N:

The 11" Commander might not pick up the tiny ones like the NF but it's a much better coil to use. The perimeter of the coil can be used to find the exact location of a nugget too. It avoids many of problems we face with hot rocks and ground noise and will punch deep as well. :Y:

The 14" Coiltek Elite mated to the GPX4500 is a great combination. It's sensitive to all but the tiniest of nuggets, ignores most hot rocks and punches deeper than most. The weight is a bit of a penalty. It's not light but I guess you can't have everything in one package. It's sensitivity on the edge allows it to be poked into places where a big coil shouldn't go and that also allows it to accurately pinpoint the exact location of a nugget at any depth. :Y:

I have a 19" NF Evo that is the same weight as the 14" Elite and that makes it nice to swing. Unfortunately it hasn't found anything in ground where the 14" Coiltek has been. In fact in a year where the Coiltek brought home nearly half a kilo of gold the NF found a couple pieces less that 0.5g. Not what you expect when you outlay more than $600.

Moneybox said:
I have a 19" NF Evo that is the same weight as the 14" Elite and that makes it nice to swing. Unfortunately it hasn't found anything in ground where the 14" Coiltek has been. In fact in a year where the Coiltek brought home nearly half a kilo of gold the NF found a couple pieces less that 0.5g. Not what you expect when you outlay more than $600.

Don't give up on the 19" Evo. I'd be more inclined to think about the ground you're swinging it in. I know of 4 1/4 kg found by one fellow in about 4 months last year.

madtuna said:
Moneybox said:

Don't give up on the 19" Evo. I'd be more inclined to think about the ground you're swinging it in. I know of 4 1/4 kg found by one fellow in about 4 months last year.

Yes MT I keep thinking about that piece of ground but I haven't found it yet :playful:

Do we think that the 12 inch round NF Evo coil is over rated then I think its an ok coil yet to find any gold with it though. I found my gold with the commander coil.

The 12" NF Evo Coil is the "Go To" Coil for a friend, detecting in an area in Mountain Hut Vic, the Coil was noisy ( Signal saturation?) he changed over to this CoilTek similar size coil and all OK. So its horses for courses.

Re the Commander Coil/gold you have probably used it more.

Latest posts