What did they do in the Great Depression.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some lived in caves near me and made drinking glasses out of bottles. The Mrs has me working on the modern day alternative.

1585879271_3dd65dca-968f-4f55-a2e0-3951946a07a8.jpg

rego7 said:
A lot of blokes grabbed a copy of "Prospecting for Gold" by Ion Idriess (first published 1931), and headed bush. This book has been mentioned many times in the forum and is still a must read.

There are many examples in the Victorian goldfields of depression era activity on the diggings, and other states too I would imagine. An example is a 67 ounce nugget found near Tarnagulla Vic in 1931 by Stan McNamee.

Out of the question now of course.

On to it :pickshovel: :goldpan: :goldnugget:

1585880440_d0b86c6d-f67e-4f56-af2a-bb17f5a37a38.jpg

Cant seem to find the chapter on lounge-chair prospecting ????

Nightjar said:
Not like we are seeing now, panic was not an option. My grandfather told me stories of the many who called by the farm and begged for work in return for a meal and cup of tea. When possible a small bag of flour, potatoes & onions were given to tide them over.
my grand parents told me the same story they had a small camp site on the creek were they came out and lived there and worked on the property for food and a place to stay have to go out to the old site their were carvings on some of the trees and post pictures

I can remember reading a story once, many many years ago how swaggies left a white rock at the gate of farms that were generous so that the next ones to come along knew to call in. Time makes things cloudy it may have been a fictional story I just can't remember.
Wally69 my dad used to break the bottom off the old glass flagons and put them over his tomato plants that he planted early to keep the frost off. He dipped a piece of binder twine in kero, wrapped it around the base of the flagon and lit it. when it was hot he plunged it into a bucket of water and the bottom would break off really clean. I never seemed able to do it as well as he could.

Harbourmaster said:
I can remember reading a story once, many many years ago how swaggies left a white rock at the gate of farms that were generous so that the next ones to come along knew to call in. Time makes things cloudy it may have been a fictional story I just can't remember.
Wally69 my dad used to break the bottom off the old glass flagons and put them over his tomato plants that he planted early to keep the frost off. He dipped a piece of binder twine in kero, wrapped it around the base of the flagon and lit it. when it was hot he plunged it into a bucket of water and the bottom would break off really clean. I never seemed able to do it as well as he could.
that is true the rock on the gate post was a real thing

aussiefarmer said:
Haha can you imagine the new age manscaped men going hunting :lol: :lol: if they did catch a rabbit they would fall in love and treat it better than there kids.
The future is if all the city dwellers need to hunt for food they will be on all fours grazing in parks and grasslands like sheep. :

My shout this morning AF :clap: :perfect:
:lol: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :D

Love eating wabbits. Sharyn wont let me cook it. Recons it smells horrid. Back in the olden days when I was young. We used to go out in the eavening and shoot around 10 and bring home gutted and skun. Mum used to freeze them or cook them up. Tasted much like chicken and the meat would just fall off the bone.

The thing that turned me off rabbits was quite some time ago when I was cutting one up for crayfish bait it had a sac of fluid in one of the backstraps. Lots of tiny bits in the fluid that almost looked like little tadpoles. I was told by an old fella that it was probably hidatus so havent eaten one since.

Bjay said:
The thing that turned me off rabbits was quite some time ago when I was cutting one up for crayfish bait it had a sac of fluid in one of the backstraps. Lots of tiny bits in the fluid that almost looked like little tadpoles. I was told by an old fella that it was probably hidatus so havent eaten one since.

Hydatids in rabbits? Thats a new one on me. Ill have to look in to that, I have say Im surprised.

But lets be honest, if its crayfish or rabbit I think you traded up. :perfect:

No idea myself but it was just not a normal part of what should be in a rabbit no matter what it was. And yes the Crays were damn right delicious.

Bjay said:
May have been a pregnant doe. Baby rabbits ?

Nightjar said:
With the talk of recession in these troubled times, which could lead to another depression?
During the 30's depression, many died from influenza, pellagra (starvation related), tuberculous and other contagious diseases.
We all know what ended the "The Great Depression" through the 1930's, WW2!
Millions of unemployed were now employed, and deaths escalated, and estimated 75 million died as result of this futile war.
Thats a real possibility that I hope doesnt eventuate.

Riots first, then global blame and hate, then possibly war unless this is the war...

The funny (to me) thing is in one of the middle east areas, they have asked for a cease fire during covid,
now thats cute as you dont want people dying of the virus whilst launching rockets and planting roadside bombs. Big tough guys with Ak47s that cry and run home to mum if someone coughs near them . :playful:

G'day

I remember an old fella who lived through those years telling me what life was like during the depression, he said because there was no work and food was scarce he hit the road and went from one rural property to another where he would sometimes get work in exchange for food, like chopping wood and such, then he said you would have to move on to another place, sleeping rough most times by the roadside, he was saying that one time he was given a sandwich and a piece of fruit cake, he said he was so knackered that he stopped under a tree for a rest and ate the sandwich deciding to keep the fruit cake for later, anyway he fell asleep and when he woke up the fruit cake was alive with ants, he said he tried to wipe the ants off but there were too many so he said that he just woofed the cake down ants and all because he was too hungry and didn't want to waste it.

It would probably do many people in our society some good to go hungry for a bit so that they can learn to not be so greedy and always expect everything just to be laid on, and some tough lessons in life can make you really appreciate what you have, back in my early years before joining the army I went interstate with some mates, great adventure but later discovered life was tough with no work and no money, I ended up at a share place and while waiting to get some dole money as there was no work I lived on a bag of brown rice and a bottle of soy sauce for about a week and a half, I was so hungry if I had found a dead cat I would have seriously thought about eating it, I always said that the reason the recruitment officer for the army let me in was because I probably looked so skinny and decrepit he felt sorry for me.

I appreciate everything that I have and have learned to make do, and never been one to care about who has what like some these days, also coming from a poor family you soon learn not to expect anything because you most likely will not get it anyway, you don't get disappointed that way, it would be hard to adjust to life in a depression but I guess we will all find that you just have to do what you have to do to stay alive and get on with life just like the people did last time round.

cheers

stayyerAU

Latest posts