What did they do in the Great Depression.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wishfull

Peter Johnson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Had a thought today about how things are trending like back in the great depression and how people made ends meet. Like straightening old nails instead of just going and buying some.
Making their own soups. Fixing stuff instead of chucking it out and buying another. Mixing your own spices. Making cheeses. Your own bread mix etc.

Put some interesting ideas up here.

Was going to say the same thing Bjay.

Ate rabbits. Panned for gold back in the areas the Europeans and Chinese had been over 60 years earlier. Humped their swag. Did odd jobs on farms in return for putting their swag in the shearing shed and some basic food (flour, salt, sugar, tea). My grandfather and great aunties used to tell some great stories of the 20's and 30's.

Patched clothes. Sewed socks. Mended boots (cobblers might make a comeback!). Milked a house cow. Traded produce with the neighbours.

As long as you survive the virus and the mental demands of remaining in lock down for 5 months you will survive. We have always survived and generally on a lot less than the excess we have today.

Would quite happily zip back 150 years (if I could take even a Gold Monster with me :playful: )

Gotta say Im very proud of my daughter. We havent had internet for 6 days now and Ive gotta admit the first few days were rough to say the least. Shes now accepted the fact and yesterday she made gnocchi from scratch. Then made some scones. Im hoping its not fixed for a while yet. :D

Yeah underground mutton was a staple and plentiful feed for many according to my parents and older relo's. Along with sheep's brains, tripe (Mum was the only one in our house to eat it) kidneys, lamb's fry. Sugar flour tea and other things we take for granted are the things that I remember in conversation that we're at times difficult to obtain as far as food goes, and of course what ever was in season. As for material things clothes were made never purchased Mum was a milliner and learnt her early skills helping her mother, timber was recycled or hand cut from local trees. As you say Wishfull they didn't waste anything repaired pretty much everything with what ever they had.

Goldchaser1 said:
Another thought smokey is if ya go with 1 mate at ya party make sure he has multiple personality disorder,could liven things up a bit and remain legal at the same time......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :Y:

Goldchaser1 said:
Another thought smokey is if ya go with 1 mate at ya party make sure he has multiple personality disorder,could liven things up a bit and remain legal at the same time......
Easy fixed as I don't have any mates left alive. :brokenh:
Just me and my family these days. :Y: :beer:

Smoky bandit said:
Goldchaser1 said:
Easy fixed as I don't have any mates left alive. :brokenh:
Just me and my family these days. :Y: :beer:

Think you have a few right here on this forum,just saying...... :Y:

Latest posts