DIY Pick

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone make there own picks from truck springs? I heard thats the best thing to make them from??

Do a search using the search icon top left :Y: obviously picks will be your search engine word, there's a few members who make them for sale. Other than that there's plenty of information on the DIY picks.

What pick configuration is the preferred choice by fellow prospectors ,here ? I use a long handled one , about 3 feet long , with a wide pick head that looks like the one in the picture below and it tends to get heavy when carrying around all day . I noticed some youtubers using a short handled one ,no longer than about 2 feet with a not-so wide pick head. Is it worth me trimming the head into a triangle and shortening the handle ? Do short handled picks dig as well as a long one or does it put more stress on your back bending over further ?
1596718955_pick.jpg

just starting said:
What pick configuration is the preferred choice by fellow prospectors ,here ? I use a long handled one , about 3 feet long , with a wide pick head that looks like the one in the picture below and it tends to get heavy when carrying around all day . I noticed some youtubers using a short handled one ,no longer than about 2 feet with a not-so wide pick head. Is it worth me trimming the head into a triangle and shortening the handle ? Do short handled picks dig as well as a long one or does it put more stress on your back bending over further ?
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14279/1596718955_pick.jpg

Using a short handle is a little bit easier on the forearms, but a whole oot harder on your back. If you are ok getting on your knees when you get a deeper hole you can negate that a bit. Overall a long handle is much better in my situation

Made this pick using a leaf spring back in '90, has seen a range of detectors come and go, currently with GPZ and still being carried on my chest.
If there is a need to dig a deep hole, a stroll back to the ute to grab a larger one, sure beats carrying it around all day when the majority of digs are less than 300m.

1596760806_chest_pick2.jpg

1596760806_pick_upgrade_001.jpg

If you don't want to make your own pick
I would recommend one of Hilly's picks
Great quality and prompt delivery
Do a search and you will find his details
On the forum.

Latest posts