Mud traction

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been out in the goldfields of WA over Summer and found myself getting caught in some pretty heavy rain. I am well equipped to get out of just about anything but when you are faced with a 2-300m stretch of boggy clay I thought there must be a easyer way of driving through. I looked on line and the only strap on device I could find was the Truckclaw at $250pair. Being originally from the high country of Vic I used to use snow chains but they are heavy and hard to install in mud. Have come up with a DIY strap on system like the truckclaw but using chain instead and 2 per tyres not just the one. Once I have put them together, (stuck at home with 2 x sub 5yo boys), I will post some picks as I am sure there will be some refinement suggestions. I estimate total cost for 2 tyres to be $50-70 and only a couple of kgs. Good insurance if you ask me. Will do the same job as maxtrax but once they are on you just keep driving till you are out!
Next post will be this week with some picks etc.

Have had a play trying to make it as easy and as cheep as possible to make as well as easy to install. I used strapping and ratchet tiedowns but went with double braid rope and just the old multiplier effect of running the rope 4-6 times between the cleats. It gets tight enough to distort the rubber almost all the way to the centre of the tyres.
Will have a field test on the weekend in some shitty soft WA sand to see if I get much rolling of the chain. May need to weld every second link to reduce the rolling force.
Dawsy!
1585645122_screenshot_20200331-165052_gallery.jpg
1585645146_screenshot_20200331-165101_gallery.jpg
1585645166_screenshot_20200331-165110_gallery.jpg

reynard said:
Stay where you are till it dries out , if you start tearing up the pasturalist roads with chains on i can assure you that you will not be welcome back
Jim
Could be weeks though eh?

This is a get out of shit only option. I agree, stay if you can. I wouldn't travel far with these on.
I have checked and plenty of clearance on the break line! Key to any recovery is slow and steady! Just thought this would be a cheap, light and easy solution!

Simmo said:
reynard said:
Stay where you are till it dries out , if you start tearing up the pasturalist roads with chains on i can assure you that you will not be welcome back
Jim
Could be weeks though eh?

1585659427_coming_home.jpg

Usually it dries out in a few days if it's just a flash flood. We came home last week as soon as we got out of bed. There was water everywhere and it took an hour to pack up. We were driving through flowing water in places and still water up to 75mm deep over some flat areas. Four days later we went back carefully avoiding puddles and wet patches. Most places we left no more than a tread pattern although one spot where we'd left the track we left a track about 100mm deep. After four days anywhere that looked dry, which was almost everywhere, was dry and solid.

1585659448_coming_home2.jpg

After four days we went back.....

1585659516_coming_back.jpg

We only left tread marks because we got out quickly.

1585659572_going_back.jpg

Four days later there were only a few puddles.

Just a question. Shouldn't the tie rope go across the centre of the hub? Also, would a 3 chain setup mean that whenever the chain that is on the ground be held in place by 2 others which might be more stable than just one? All of this depends upon the ability of the chains not to slip something I have absolutely no experience or knowledge of, just thoughts.

Hi Blocker, I think in practice you would install them as symmetrical as possible. Each chain set is tied to the rim and tyres speed should be slow so not critical! I think soft sand like desert dunes and dry beaches will be their best applications. I found a public road north of Southern Cross which held water for days and was pure clay. The car hardly sank, maybe an inch or 2 but no traction at all. These should help in those situations.

Dawsy77 said:
Hi Blocker, I think in practice you would install them as symmetrical as possible. Each chain set is tied to the rim and tyres speed should be slow so not critical! I think soft sand like desert dunes and dry beaches will be their best applications. I found a public road north of Southern Cross which held water for days and was pure clay. The car hardly sank, maybe an inch or 2 but no traction at all. These should help in those situations.

Agreed sand maybe, mud only until you hit a solid rock outcrop, you'll be stopped, not bogged, just serious damage.
At least it will have dried out by the time you get help and a flat top to carry your vehicle out.

Nightjar said:
Dawsy77 said:

Agreed sand maybe, mud only until you hit a solid rock outcrop, you'll be stopped, not bogged, just serious damage.
At least it will have dried out by the time you get help and a flat top to carry your vehicle out.
yep..and if it is a public road, possibly a $1000 per wheel fine

Nightjar said:
Moneybox said:
Four days later there were only a few puddles.

Morning Moneybox, Not knowing any difference, the track you were on looks very similar to one running South to the old Teutonic airstrip?

Cheers

To be honest Peter I don't know where that is. We're very close to home in Cue where we can come and go in an hour if necessary.