What did i find ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

went out yesterday in west gippsland for a pan and sluice session.
Water was very low, but we managed to get the gold rat mini running enough to run some material through.
It was a new spot on the creek, with very deep crevasses in the area which didn't produce a lot of gold but some to keep us interested.
I did find a nice rock, which i assume is quartz however when i zoomed in it looks quite crystalized in areas.

Anyone know what this is?

1584858355_screen_shot_2020-03-22_at_5.20.51_pm.jpg

1584858355_screen_shot_2020-03-22_at_5.21.15_pm.jpg

I'd be crushing that quartz and panning it. A couple of little spots look interesting on it.

Cheers,
Megsy

hey Bend, yeah nah..... not pyrite mate... :lol:

As for crushing it and panning it off Megsy.... i have thought about it, and i have throughly checked it over using a lupe but no visible specs anywhere on it....
almost looks too nice to crush, but my curiosity might get the better of me soon and i may do it.... I'll need to make a dolly first though... :pickshovel:

Thanks guys

Tsunami said:

As for crushing it and panning it off Megsy.... i have thought about it, and i have throughly checked it over using a lupe but no visible specs anywhere on it....
almost looks too nice to crush, but my curiosity might get the better of me soon and i may do it.... I'll need to make a dolly first though... :pickshovel:

Thanks guys

That will be very hard to crush unless you cook it first. If you get it red hot and drop it into a metal bucket of water then it will crumble easily.

Moneybox said:
Tsunami said:

Thanks guys

That will be very hard to crush unless you cook it first. If you get it red hot and drop it into a metal bucket of water then it will crumble easily.
Dont breathe the fumes if you do this, that one should pretty much just shatter, being just quartz, but a lot of ore has all sorts of nasty pyrite and sulfide and similar to gas off.
Personally I wouldn't worry about crushing unless it has visible gold or sets off a detector though