Introductions and initial questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Id like to introduce myself, Im a single mum of two delightful girls who with the current zombie apocalypse has decided to keep her kids home. My youngest is immunocompromised so better safe than sorry!

I am starting to homeschool them and keep costs down while having them home (and my sanity in check). So looking for cheap and cheerful outdoor things to do. They received two wonderful little metal detectors from their grandparents for Christmas and I thought it would be the perfect activity to do while still being socially responsible.

I know from research that I should get a license which I will do but I wanted to know where the girls and I could start. I would like to drive them out of town, maybe a maximum of two hours out of Melbourne? Somewhere along a river or stream and we can make a whole day event out of it?

Do you have any suggestions for us? Or any resources?

Thanks so much

Plenty of good spots around creswick that are easily accessible by car and creeks close by for the kids to explore ?? Few general areas at slatey creek good parking and family friendly

Welcome to PA Midas-Mum and girls.

Get Google maps going and look around Sailors Creek, Daylesford for the picnic areas around there.
Not sure of the water level at the moment, but a pretty area to explore, regardless.

Cheers,
Megsy

Welcome,
What ages are we talking here?
A few years back, when I had my little babies detecting at the beach, if they hadnt had any luck for a while, I would periodically drop a coin and kick some sand over it before walking over to them and suggesting 'maybe try over there for a while if you're having no luck here'. Ahhh the excitement and joy when they screamed 'DAD, I FOUND A COIN!!' still brings a smile to my face :)
So my suggestion is that if their age is suitable and IF you have a garden then you could bury some metal toys, a dollar or two or even some stikeez or some other of your kids favourites wrapped in tin foil all about the garden and let them at it.
If they're older you can still use the above suggestion but maybe wrap bury an iphone or $2 coins instead :lol: this will get them used to their detectors before the bush trip
Have fun :perfect:
Diggit

Welcome to the forum Midas Mom...we have something in common! :eek: my yacht was named the Midas Touch! :lol: and boy, every time I touched it it cost me a fortune! :8 :playful: Happily it's sold now otherwise I could not afford to go looki'n for the yella stuff...hehe :D You have had some good ideas sent your way already and I'm sure there will be more so good luck to you and your girls :flowers: :Y: If your looking for something a little different ,you might like to check out the Poetry Section for some of my work and that of others... and some of my short stories at A True story... or Gold in my Veins.Good luck in your journey and stay safe out there. :cool:

Hi midas_mom, a warm welcome to you and the girls. Is it you (midas) that i talk to allot when out detecting, i dont get answered much. :
As stated above planting a few suprises to get them real keen and also used to the detectors is a greatplace to start.
Ji

Latest posts