A homemade pick project.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Embers

Dave
Reaction score
So I'm pottering in the shed to alleviate the boredom of trying not to get the virus.

I was given a leaf spring to turn into a pick so I've finally dragged it out to experiment with design. It is only tacked together to get an idea of shape and size. But all welded edges will be bevelled before welding to make it stronger. Next to it is a hoe that was made to chop thistles made from plough disc, in hind sight I should have made this into a pick when I had the chance as it is way lighter than the leaf. Handle is a small hoe handle I found in Mitre 10 that felt much more comfortable in the hand than the curtain rod I used in the hoe.

Any thoughts, ideas/ suggestions before I get too carried away? Is this going to be too heavy? I still may scrap the whole thing and source a plough disc for the weight savings alone.

Current weight is 1.7kg as the steel is quite thick. Length is 300mm and the face is 110mm wide.

1584658917_img_1878.jpg

1584658917_img_1879.jpg

1584658917_img_1880.jpg

1584658917_img_1882.jpg

I like what you have done there, I did think of just adding a pick end to the hoe I already have.

Yours looks well worn, must have a few stories to tell.

I agree with Nightjar , the handle will snap off . Very weak point at the bottom .

Mike678 said:
I agree with Nightjar , the handle will snap off . Very weak point at the bottom .

Handle was not all the way in for the photo but that is spotted gum and how it came from the shop. Time will tell.

How did your project go?
Id thought of leafspring for pick but yup, weight put me off.
Plough disks are the go :perfect:

Have been carrying this pick like this from the SD2000 days
1635290577_chest_pick.jpg

The larger pick stays in the ute for the occasional deep hole. In WA most digs can be handled with the small pick and life is much easier not lugging around a 700mm monster that is rarely required. ***Leaves you with a spare hand to brush the flies away.*** :lol:
1635290578_pick_upgrade_001.jpg

1635290578_pick2.jpg

Haha, great Pic Nightjar, thanks for sharing...sure are G'd up! Good to go! :D :Y:

Hey guys, can you make a template and some instructions to put up here ?

I know it seems like a basic build, but there are always hints and tips that will save a newbie some headache, time, and maybe some money too.

I bought Kato a pick from one of our members, it's a bloody "machine", and will last her forever (out-living me too),
but I love a good project like many of us and maybe I could knock together a few smaller ones for the other 3 kids.

Any chance ?

:)

Nightjar, wow. I never thought you could carry a pick on front.
I also see you have a side handle for detector, and wondered if that was a project also, or bought?

JTich said:
Nightjar, wow. I never thought you could carry a pick on front.
I also see you have a side handle for detector, and wondered if that was a project also, or bought?

JTich,
The side handle is the "Easy swing" that came with the GPZ, very handy when you get used to it, keeps the coil flat and helps with guidance around obstacles.
As mentioned have carried that pick for 30 years, just modified the carrier to suit newer harnesses from the Garrett Groundhog/SD2000. Have used the 25mm version so the carrier can be used on either left or right hand side. Just need a needle and thread or in my case my trusty old garage sale $20 sewing machine, some nylon strap to fix it to the harness. The actual pick carrier bent and formed from some 4mm aluminium wire.
Here in WA have seen prospectors lugging 700mm+ picks around either over their shoulders or in a holder on their belt. Very unwieldy and not necessary considering the average hole is no deeper than 150mm.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1623023...nn2cadHx5Y2qrs5sU4oQMqrrMLZ1fDb0aAs-tEALw_wcB

Same as your spade GH and when you doit you can put it up onhere. Looking forwardto seeing it as your spade was a huge success.
Mackka
I have a project to photograph and put up in the diy, was going to do it last year, time flys by.

As for a pick, I really don't know the real field needs for the design, I assume materials are the most important thing, like a bisloy hardness metal.
Digging point, wide blade for scraping dirt around, weight dependent on dirt hardness and stones. Handle materials, length and thickness.
There is a lot to consider...... 🤓
I needs a good think over it.

A simple diy that can be knocked up on the kitchen table that would be durable, would be awesome but maybe not better than an off the shelf mattock in the end.

Oh... I just had a thought.. LOL that is dangerous.

Latest posts