Panning vs Detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Not looking for advice, but rather just wanted to share my experience and hear your thoughts.

I got into this hobby a couple of years ago as a detector. I was after the nuggets and I sort of laughed and scoffed at "silly" panners who would sit in a creek all day for not much gold.

Then recently I was on a trip with my kids and hiking into the mountains to detect was not feasible, but doing a bit of panning in the creek near our camp was. So I gave it a go, and absolutely loved it! Finding the tiny bits of fly poo in the below photo was far more enjoyable than all of the nuggets I've ever found. Now, instead of saving up for a GPZ7000, I think I'd rather purchase the best highbanker and associated equipment.

For those of you who enjoy doing both, how do you manage this? I have a 5 day trip coming up, and I'm torn between detecting all day for potentially nothing, or sitting in a creek where I know for sure I'm going to come away with a bit of color.

FYI I'm in Far North Queensland

Cheers
1584657620_fb_img_1584481743107.jpg

I always pan an area thats new to me. The results give me an indication whether its worth detecting the dry ground. I also prospect by running my gold detector over crevices in the creek. Plus, its a lot cooler in the creek. ????

There's a big difference between panning and highbanking, SteveG.

Panning is relaxing and peaceful; very easy and simple to carry in a pan set and a few small hand tools in a backpack, and you're ready to start prospecting.
Highbanking is hard yakka digging and lugging it around; setting it up and breaking it down takes time; it's noisy, and leaves a big mess.

To me, it's not about the gold I find - or not - it's about the peace of mind and relaxation of an enjoyable hobby, spending time in the bush and loving the sounds of nature, with no annoying machinery noises spoiling it, eg. a highbanker's pump running for hours. Talk about spoiling someone's peaceful hobby! I go to the bush to get away from city noises. When I see someone on a creek with a highbanker, I'm out of there! If you want to listen to a motor running for hours, you might as well stay home and mow some lawns or sand back something to paint.

You're in the bush - sitting by a peaceful creek or river - enjoy listening to the sounds of nature. It's one of the best parts of prospecting to me.

Stick to panning. You and the kids will enjoy it more when you can talk to each other without yelling over horrible incessant noise too!

:heart: :goldpan: :beer: :)

Cheers,
Megsy

HI , It depends how you do any activity..... I have a 30ah lithium battery, pump and mini hb and it is more enjoyable than panning..... I find clasifiyng and panning hard due to the crouching position.... Horses for courses...

Panning is much cheaper though, no denying that...

One thing is for sure though... if you wand a pleasent time of it , it needs to be quiet. if you are going petrol pump, the quietest is the honda gpx50 with a keene/proline 100gpmm pump end

Bit like fishing......
You can take the big rigs out and chase Marlin..... and not get a bight!
Or peeled prawns on a light rod sitting on the bank and catch a lot of smaller stuff.
Both are good.
Some days you are keen to plan big...
Some happy to just see good colour.
:cool:

Imagine 1000 diggers back then staying in one dig area for a month.
Would of been cracker night every night just on dusk shooting a Gallah or cockatoo for the camp oven.
That's a lot of shot over a month even at one shot each a day..
30 000 x duck shot..... 300 000 pellets....
In one month....

Latest posts