Brass Monkey Fridge Review

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condor22

Mike
Reaction score
Thought I'd do a review on the Brass Monkey fridge as I bought a 15 L Fridge/Freezer today from Jaycar. Got the insulating cover and a 240 VAC power pack as well, $308.90 the lot. It's on 240 VAC at the moment in the lounge.

Although I have the 30 L Engel in the 4by and a 128 L Thetford in the van, I wanted additional freezer capacity. (The Thetford freezer compartment is only 20 L.) The Engel, like most single zone fridge/freezers can only be used as one or the other.

Why the 15 L and not the 22 L, their difference and specs.

The outside dimensions of the 15 L are 598 L x 320 W x 260 H. The only difference with the 22 L is the 335 height, the width and length are the same. Weight is 10 kg for the 22 L and all electrical specs are the same. I looked at where I'm going to put this, both car and van, the only place feasible in the van is at the side of the bed. As with most van double/queen beds, the base is narrower than the mattress. Between the floor and the underside of my mattress there is ample space for the 15 L, but not the 22 L.

Specs -
Input Voltage = 12/24 V
Power consumption running = 45 W
Average Power Consumption = 0.25 kWh/24 hours or 250 W
Rated Current = 3.8 A/1.9 A
Temp Range = -20 to +20 (@ ambient 25 C)
Refrigerant = R134a
Insulation = 100% CFC & HFC free PU Foam
Battery protection = L,M & H (voltages are not stated)
Weight (empty) - 8.6 kg

My first test - The fridge is in the house and empty. It is powered on mains, with the 240 V to 12 V adapter I bought for it.
Ambient and inside fridge temp was 24 C and although there is a temp gauge on the fridge, I put an Engel temp gauge in it at the oposite end to the controls/compressor as it has a MAX/MIN function as well. I should note that the fridge has a MAX power setting and an ECO setting (see Current in above post)

I set it to 4 C as a fridge, on MAX and it went down to that level in 15 minutes. An hour later the fridge gauge showed 5 C (no decimal place only whole numbers), the Engel gauge showed 3.1 C and the compressor was not running, I also set it to ECO mode. 5 Hours later, the fridge shows 2 C and the Engel gauge 0.9 C, I assume the compressor has recently cycled off. Also, not a fair test as there is nothing in it.

My next testing is what I'm more interested in - battery power consumption etc. I need to go shop for some more beer, so I'll put what can fit in it. It will then go out to the van, where I can monitor it's current draw. As I have switchable solar in the van, I'll run it for 24 hours off a full battery with no solar to get a daily usage, then I'll run it for a few days with solar on and check each day. Given I know my usual power use (3 way is on LPG out bush), I can then add that to the BM fridge consumption.

Stay tuned :)

I was tossing up between the 60ltr brass monkey from jaycar or the 80lyr from Anaconda.
After alot of thought I went the 80ltr oztrail.This thing is huge on the inside.But the good thing about the brass monkey was the warrenty of 3years.
If they can't fix it for you then and there at the shop they will just give you a new fridge. :Y: :Y:

Just read a little bit about brass monkey fridges. There is some chat about them not liking being tilted more than 5 deg. And not having a door latch?
If that's not right, then they seem great value.

Davent, The manual says "The fridge can be operated indefinitely up to 5 degrees and between 6 and 45 degrees for up to 30 minutes." So I would imagine that unless you are driving up a steep mountain", that most use will be ok.

No, there is no latch on this fridge, but the closing and opening is positive and some effort required to open it. Also the zipped cover is snug on the fridge. The cover also has a front flap with velcro tabs so you can leave the top of the cover unzipped, pull the flap down and secure with the velcro.

I checked the Engel temp gauge I have in it on test this morning. Reminder the fridge temp is set to 4 C and the fridge is empty. Overnight the temp varied between -1.6 and +4 C. (It's still on ECO mode. Also when the Engel gauge was reading 2 C the fridge gauge was showing 4 C.

The probe of the Engel gauge is sitting on an upturned plastic container in the centre of the fridge floor, at about 6 cm up. I would imagine the fridge sensor is near the compressor end, which may account for the difference.

Regarding the max/min overnight, I'm hoping this will stabilise when food and drink are in it.

Today I'm cranking it up to a freezer at -10 C. Then tomorrow up to max at -20 C.

condor22 said:
Davent, The manual says "The fridge can be operated indefinitely up to 5 degrees and between 6 and 45 degrees for up to 30 minutes." So I would imagine that unless you are driving up a steep mountain", that most use will be ok.

The Spec Standard is an Angle of 30* for most Fridges which is only for a certain amount of time as in your 30 minute quoted figures, No fridge should be left to run at this angle or greater over a longer period of time, So it sounds like your little fridge is the real deal,

When you have time could you show us a picture of it,

Thanks "C" dude,

J.

No prob, RR will go take one shortly.

BTW - Just checked it, went from +2 C to -8 C in 15 minutes on ECO mode, which for me is a rapid cool down. I'll let it run for a couple of hours, then go get some frozos to put in it overnight. I'll take the piccies when I put the food in it, as I'm also interested in what size packaging fits.

As I bought this primarily as a freezer, I'm not overly concerned at temperature fluctuations. If I set it to, say, -15 and it varies between -18 and -12, who cares, it's still freezing. :)

I'll let it run a couple of days inside the house on mains power, to be happy it's doing the job. Then take it out to the van to do the 12 VDC load testing.

If it does the job, it's good value at $199 for a little freezer. BTW on ECO mode it's fairly quiet and as I mainly prospect in winter, can't see me needing it on full power.
It may be that summer ambient temps will need MAX, but I rarely trip away in the heat.

Not sure what other stores do, but my local Jaycar has a 22 L model in store, they turn it on freeze when they open the store and then off at closing time. They have some icy pole sachets in it, which freeze/unfreeze every day as a demo. (No insulation cover fitted)

I am going to do one mod tho'. The 12 VDC power cable has the dreaded cigarette power plug. It's getting the chop and being replaced with an Anderson.

I do have a short Anderson to cig socket adapter, just in case.

I did ask at Jaycar if doing this will affect warranty, they said "no", then asked if I needed to buy an Anderson to do the job, lol. I declined as I have a number in the shed. :)

I did Google freezer temps, most answers show frozen food needs to be kept at -18 C to maintain quality. However, that is for long term food safety storage. So if it is kept at between -18 and an arbitary -10 for a couple of weeks, I can't see too much problem. Especially since I'm looking at packaged frozen dinners like the Lean Cuisine/McCains, pies, sausage rolls and mini pizza type food. Were it fish or chicken etc, I'd crank it to max.

Knowing this, I'll crank the fridge to max when I put the frozos in it and for the 12 VDC test. Better to check worse case scenario, lol.

FYI

Googled operating angles.

According to one site an Engel can continuously operate up to an angle of 30 degrees.

Dometic, state the same for the Waeco.

Here are some pics

Properly packed
1584414086_food_packed.jpg

To show what's in the fridge - 8 sausage rolls, box of 6 fish fillets, 4 pk of mini pizzas and 7 frozos.
1584414086_food.jpg

Before the thermo cover is secured
1584414086_fridge_top.jpg

The front of the cover has 2 pockets, one will have the 240 VAC adapter, the other the 12 VDC cable when neither are being used.
1584414086_pocket.jpg

Top view of fridge
1584414086_top_view.jpg

Showing the fridge temp and the Engel gauge
1584414086_temp.jpg

Went down to -17 very quickly, but I did get the food out of our household freezer. :) If it holds temp until tomorrow, I'll take it out to the van and put on 12 VDC.

condor22 said:
FYI

Googled operating angles.

According to one site an Engel can continuously operate up to an angle of 30 degrees.

Dometic, state the same for the Waeco.

Yeah the top brands all quote the same, Many of the cheaper ones just imply that they can do it, But I also noted that a couple of them I tested made the same claims but when I tilted it it made a noise which does give me doubts,

I am really impressed with the one you have there,

How are the noise levels from the fans etc ?

Is this the same fridge ??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IceCube-Po...id=1584422476&sprefix=12v+fri,aps,267&sr=8-10

Looks much the same, in this day n age, they are all made in the same Chinese factory, branded differently etc. But at 279 guid that's AUD$558, 250% more, bugger that. :)

The fridge has been running for a couple of hours, set to -18 C. The Engel gauge shows a history of -16.7 to - 19.1, so happy with that.

I took it out to the van at 4pm, put it on the van battery, no solar, no other loads and fully charged.
1584424593_battery_check_1a.jpg

So the specs say 1.9 A on Eco, that's crap it hovers 2.6 to 2.7 amps. Which is less than the Engel, but how often it cycles is the key point. I might add, it is tipped to be around 30C in Adelaide today, so I've opened the van door, flyscreen locked, to let a bit of air in.

I'll check it later tonight around 10, which will give a 6 hour test 2/3 daytime 1/3 night time, re AH used.

condor22 said:
Here are some pics

Properly packed
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1932/1584414086_food_packed.jpg
To show what's in the fridge - 8 sausage rolls, box of 6 fish fillets, 4 pk of mini pizzas and 7 frozos.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1932/1584414086_food.jpg
Before the thermo cover is secured
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1932/1584414086_fridge_top.jpg
The front of the cover has 2 pockets, one will have the 240 VAC adapter, the other the 12 VDC cable when neither are being used.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1932/1584414086_pocket.jpg
Top view of fridge
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1932/1584414086_top_view.jpg
Showing the fridge temp and the Engel gauge
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1932/1584414086_temp.jpg

Went down to -17 very quickly, but I did get the food out of our household freezer. :) If it holds temp until tomorrow, I'll take it out to the van and put on 12 VDC.

Hey Condor, I would have thought that you would need more airway between your items so they could freeze properly. Looks like your RAAF compulsive neatness dissorder has taken over. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Doug

That's a chicken Vs. Egg debate Doug!!!
Should you drain the water out of an esky.. or not!!

My view, is that Air, is very quickly replaced by hotter air when a fridge/esky is opened...

So therefore, with an esky, it's better off to leave the colder melted water in the esky, as by draining it, the space will be replaced by warmer air...!!!

So in Condors case, if his packing, is of already frozen stuff, with no room for this pesky warmer air to get around...
His freezer should hold things frozen lots more efficiently and longer....

Flameproof suit on!!

All of the items were transferred from the house freezer which is at least if not colder than the BM. Secondly I'll be putting the food back to the house freezer tomorrow. As mentioned "worst case scenario".

Which leads me to my next point, after 4 hours, I'm showing a 10% power use. The battery is 130 AH, so that's 13 amps in 4 hours = 3.25/hr and appears to be going full time. I should add that it is 32 C ambient in the van, even now at 8pm. So in this weather I'm looking at around 70 AH a day.

Food for thought, but as I mentioned, my use will be winter time, so it will be interesting what those figures will be.

The temp varied -17.8 to - 19.4 so it's holding temp.