Newbie with QED

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

getting more and more into prospecting and have progressed from pan to sieves and now a river sluice (888 with dream mat). But finally after lots of research and tossing up on Goldmonster, SDC or QED it is time for a detector . In the end and after lots of research the QED got the nod. Seems the best bang for buck choice with the flexibility unmatched by the other two hopefuls. Time will tell if I made a sensible choice.
Ordered from Reg and it is in the mail with an xcoil as default. Cannot wait to get my hands on it. Currently in Sydney but Ill be moving to the NSW central west shortly and expect to swing for many hours every week. Anywhere from the Turon to Hill End and all the areas in between / around I can get access to. First victim will be my own land which is smack in the middle of the old timers diggings and hopefully undetected previously. Not that big, only about an acre but you never know.

I tend to be quite tenacious so unlikely to give up after a couple of fruitless days.
Glad to find the various forums and the helpful posts and info on the hobby. Been reading and pondering incessantly. Alleged by those around me (;)

Best of luck to everyone. I will report my progress and thoughts.

And it is here!

Assembled & charged. A bit light (well none) on assembly instructions if it comes like mine in pieces. Seem to have worked it all out but nevertheless a simple one page sheet for assembly would not be a bad addition. The manual only talks about operation.

Was a bit worried about the length of the screw on the armrest which seems to go via another block of plastic thru the shaft to the control box underneath. Worried about protruding too far into the box. However there seemed to be no other option and I took the dive and she turned on just fine after charging. Still seems too long to me.
The speaker cabling arrangement / the speaker are a little distracting from overall quality and will be the first thing to go soon. Any headphone suggestions? I understand we want low ohm and if wireless low lag.

Cant wait to get out of the city for a swing.

One tip if you are going to diss assemble and reassemble it again at all in future. Tape the ribbon cable onto the block under the armrest before screwing it tight. If the ribbon slips from the grooves and you screw it down it can pinch the ribbon cable and cause issues. It happened to my pl2 and caused it to be noisy. Any wired earbuds should be fine. Most people prefer to add a $30 mini amp from ebay to boost the volume. Lots of bluetooth has been tried but with not much lick. You just cant seem to get a threshold via bluetooth, which is the main ussue. If you dont mind wearing headphone the sennheiser r160 wireless headphones and signal transmitter combo apparently works perfectly. One of those was available 2nd hand on ebay for 90 bucks last time i checked

hippyhunter said:
One tip if you are going to diss assemble and reassemble it again at all in future. Tape the ribbon cable onto the block under the armrest before screwing it tight. If the ribbon slips from the grooves and you screw it down it can pinch the ribbon cable and cause issues. It happened to my pl2 and caused it to be noisy. Any wired earbuds should be fine. Most people prefer to add a $30 mini amp from ebay to boost the volume. Lots of bluetooth has been tried but with not much lick. You just cant seem to get a threshold via bluetooth, which is the main ussue. If you dont mind wearing headphone the sennheiser r160 wireless headphones and signal transmitter combo apparently works perfectly. One of those was available 2nd hand on ebay for 90 bucks last time i checked

Thanks for the tip. I have it running outside the block with some of the supplied clips keeping it on the shaft. It is only loosely assembled and I will ponder securing some of the more 'delicate' bits. On that note: on my bike I use dielectric grease between plugs to keep water and oxydisation at bay
I am thinking same coupled with self vulcanising tape. Should give good support and keep things dry and clean?

ozkraut said:
And it is here!

Assembled & charged. A bit light (well none) on assembly instructions if it comes like mine in pieces. Seem to have worked it all out but nevertheless a simple one page sheet for assembly would not be a bad addition. The manual only talks about operation.

Was a bit worried about the length of the screw on the armrest which seems to go via another block of plastic thru the shaft to the control box underneath. Worried about protruding too far into the box. However there seemed to be no other option and I took the dive and she turned on just fine after charging. Still seems too long to me.
The speaker cabling arrangement / the speaker are a little distracting from overall quality and will be the first thing to go soon. Any headphone suggestions? I understand we want low ohm and if wireless low lag.

Anything positive to say Oz? :D Did you send a message to QED or just post here?

What you have to and others realise is you cant keep everyone happy regardless of the effort you put in to it. These are less than half the price of a comparable Minelab. They are working on it. They would appreciate constructive feedback via them than neg posts on a forum.

Cheers mate and hope you enjoy. Remember, if you need help/advice, contact the person you purchased from and the QED group on Facebook.

Al.

Sorry about not including assembly instructions but I never considered it necessary, as it seemed to me to be pretty straight forward. I did include a number of tips that I thought would be helpful, and I did include my phone number and expressed my willingness to be of help at any time. My apologies if you found my service to be less than your expectations.

Reg Wilson said:
Sorry about not including assembly instructions but I never considered it necessary, as it seemed to me to be pretty straight forward. I did include a number of tips that I thought would be helpful, and I did include my phone number and expressed my willingness to be of help at any time. My apologies if you found my service to be less than your expectations.

No Reg,

these were just suggestions / ponderings from someone that never touched a detector before and are in no way to reflect on your service which was great. Please be assured of that.
I worked it out ok with no troubles but there was the odd uncertainty along the way which a one page explosion would have avoided. Yes I could have just called. Constructive criticism at most was meant from my end.

By the way ozkraut. For earphones the most poplular option is using your favourite wired earbuds with the quest wireless system. Its not completely wireless as bluetooth would be, but works well apparently, and importantly you arent attached to the detector.

hippyhunter, I totally concur with your suggestion re the Quest WiFi system. I have tried a number of WiFi setups and this is the one I now use. I match it with a set of Bose noise cancelling earbuds, (expensive but brilliant) in summer when a wide brimmed hat is best, or Aldi Bauhn noise cancelling headphones at other times.
To each his own of course, but this is the combination that suits me.

Yeah reg, people like different options for many reasons. Usually comfort and performance are the main factors in choice. For me, earbuds is ny only option as any pressure to the side of my head for more than a few minutes results in a migrane.
I would love to see quest do some wireless earbuds that work with their transmitter. Like their earphones/transmitter package. Im sure there would be a big enough percentage that would choose a quest earbuds/transmitter package iver a quest earphones/transmitter. I would even pay a bit extra over the price of the earphones kit for an earbuds version (if good quality buds)

hippyhunter said:
Yeah reg, people like different options for many reasons. Usually comfort and performance are the main factors in choice. For me, earbuds is ny only option as any pressure to the side of my head for more than a few minutes results in a migrane.
I would love to see quest do some wireless earbuds that work with their transmitter. Like their earphones/transmitter package. Im sure there would be a big enough percentage that would choose a quest earbuds/transmitter package iver a quest earphones/transmitter. I would even pay a bit extra over the price of the earphones kit for an earbuds version (if good quality buds)

Yep thats what Reg recommended and it would be my likely choice. But I shall go and swing first before any more allocation is sensible. Especially right now. I am at the cusp of getting out of the big smoke and fear I might get stuck with about two three weeks of leadtime remaining for me.

Aussiedigs said:
ozkraut said:
And it is here!

Anything positive to say Oz? :D Did you send a message to QED or just post here?

What you have to and others realise is you cant keep everyone happy regardless of the effort you put in to it. These are less than half the price of a comparable Minelab. They are working on it. They would appreciate constructive feedback via them than neg posts on a forum.

Cheers mate and hope you enjoy. Remember, if you need help/advice, contact the person you purchased from and the QED group on Facebook.

Al.
So negatives aren't allowed to be discussed on the forum?

ozkraut said:
hippyhunter said:

Yep thats what Reg recommended and it would be my likely choice. But I shall go and swing first before any more allocation is sensible. Especially right now. I am at the cusp of getting out of the big smoke and fear I might get stuck with about two three weeks of leadtime remaining for me.

Good idea. I would say to you in your first hack definately try wired earbuds before you go off too much with the supplied speaker. Just so you know where the super important threshold is (as you wont hear it thru the speaker). Hope you have some fun on your first play importantly :Y:

madtuna said:
Aussiedigs said:
ozkraut said:
And it is here!

Al.
So negatives aren't allowed to be discussed on the forum?

Thats up to the moderators i guess. I think personally discussing any issues is a good thing for progression and even understanding for people not in the position to pick it up and know how to use the machine to its full potential. Its a good machine, and i think maybee some people are maybee a bit defensive of it, maybee due to thinking its someone trying to pile crap on the qed as others have before, particularly on the 1.5gram writings. I really think the qed is established enough now not to be affected unfairly by any unjustified downtalking. There is now a substancial amount of videos and forum information to back the machine up, so propeganda and useless slander is pretty easily seen through for exactly what it is these days.i think with a lot of first time pulse induction users adopting the qed format, you might get a few questions or statements that sound more negative to an experienced user than to a newbie. I really dont think people are here to rag on the qed with underlying motives

Called constructive dialogue. O:) O:)

I myself own a QED.
And I think it is a brillant machine.
I have no time lately to get out there and
enjoy it but that time is coming shortly.

I have no trouble setting it up. Picked
that up very quickly.

Reg can atest to that one. :cool: :cool:

Same here on the busy thing. Things always seem to get busy during the best weather. Haha.
Am charging my batteries (and the detectors) for saturday.. this trip is well overdue. Getting super excited about it. Hope i can sleep :)

Well I wont be taking sides with general negativity by some as it is a waste of time for all involved. I am positive on the subject matter and want to help if anything. I did a lot of research and dont spend too lightly on my forays into new territory. The QED looked and looks like the best bang for buck choice out there. I shall continue to speak my mind on my observations which ever way they go and first order of business is to get out there and learn.

Latest posts