Detector Dilemma!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok everyone I have a very hard decision coming up that I would love everyones opinion on.

I currently own:

Gpx 4500 with 15 evo
SDC2300
Equinox 800

I have done well with both the 45 and sdc but love the form factor of the GPZ7000.
I realise I cant swing them all at once and would like to upgrade to the Z.

I am looking to sell all 3 detectors to fund the Z.

I could sell my gold to help fund the machine but I really want to hang onto my finds ;) my precious...

Should I sell up and get the mighty Z?

Should I wait and see what this new gold detector is from Minelab supposedly coming out later this year?

Ahhhhhhh I dont know what to do!!!

Any advice or opinions appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris, the GPZ7000 does weigh a bit from what I've heard so if you have any strength limiting factors it might pay to use the 4500 combination which seems to work very well for most here on the forum.

I should add I run wireless on my 45. I have the large battery strapped to the side of the detector. I dont find the weight of the z too bad.

Hi DG,

We have the SDC2300, GM1000 & the GPZ7000. I have been finding pieces as small if not smaller than what the SDC does with the Zed so in my books I stick to the Zed while Carol uses the SDC. The SDC does get into tighter places though while the Zed will punch deep. :Y:

Cheers

Doug

I upgraded from the 4500 to the zed.
Haven't looked back, it's a brilliant machine.
I had the same concerns about "what if a new model comes out and my investment becomes half its value"
I dont see anything knocking the 7000 of the top gold platform for a while, and the only wrong decision is to wait and see. Bit like property theres no bad time to buy in the long run.
If you do any coin or relics detecting I would hold onto the Nox though, that machine is awsome in that feild of detecting.

I went from the 5000 to the Z & think that it was a great decision. Nothing is a good investment if you don't get out & enjoy it, irrespective of cost.

To me the weight of the Z is a positive, if set up right you keep the coil to the ground really well. I can detect all day.

Having a bit of gold in the stash justifies the investment. How many golfers can say that?

At first I had 5000, then I bought Z, Z is 100 times better, and I put the X COIL coil on Z, this is the best that can be.

G'day

You sound like my mate, he was asking me about the Gpz and what I thought about it, and then wanted to go and look at one, when they first came out this was, anyway he had already made up his mind that he was getting one couldn't get the wallet out quick enough, my first impression on picking one up was it was a bloody heavy brick of a thing and reminded me straight away back when we all laughed at another mate with his useless garrett atx when it came out, as it was a heavy and cumbersome just like the gpz, anyway the icing on the cake was the seller trying to also sell him a massive harness thingy with a big spring over the shoulder to take the weight, wtf I thought.

Anyway long story short about 6 trips later it was sold and replaced by a 4500 and 2300, and then definitely more gold found overall on future trips, these days to get consistent gold you simply have to put in the time on the ground at least where we detect and I am sure most of the known places in Australia would be the same anyway, if you cant put in the time and its all relevant to the ground you cover then you will find it hard to do well, the weight of the gpz was the main factor for it being replaced.

Truth is regardless what I thought of the gpz if my mate was killing the pig and was doing way better than myself and another mate using the 4500 and 2300 then I would have bought one and followed suit, but I simply have not seen the proof that the gpz will produce more gold than a gpx detector, and to say it will find gold that the sdc will not is crap as maybe the only reason it would find some pieces missed by the 2300 is because of the size of the coil and it obvious depth advantage with the 14" coil over an 8" coil, I have pulled dozens of small bits out of several hot spot chained and detected with a gpz and it missed a hell of a lot that's for sure.

cheers

stayyerAU

Latest posts