How to know if a stone is worth collecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I have very minimal knowledge about fossicking gemstones and I am keen to learn more.
I would like to know how to know if a stone is worth collecting or leaving behind. Is it a matter of researching the area, and finding out what exactly can be found there - then researching gem identification of those?

For example, I went to Daylesford with some idea about Zircon and what they look like, so I was able to find them. I find them easier to identify as theyre quite clear or see through when held against the sun.

But for gemstones that do not have that transparency such as agate, jasper, chert, pertified wood etc. Do you just collect it, read books and post online and hope someone knows something?

Someone once told me "If it looks good, its a keeper" - is this good advice?

If it looks good bring it home and then decide. Some of my garden surrounds and along fence lines are gravel beds (less mowing) and they are littered with decorative rocks I have brought home. When I had the fish tanks working, hardly ever bought gravel. Some spots have the reject material that was intended for the tumbler. Reject material after being through the tumbler is nice "rock mulch" in the wife's pot plants.

K_Pine said:
Hi, I have very minimal knowledge about fossicking gemstones and I am keen to learn more.
I would like to know how to know if a stone is worth collecting or leaving behind. Is it a matter of researching the area, and finding out what exactly can be found there - then researching gem identification of those?

For example, I went to Daylesford with some idea about Zircon and what they look like, so I was able to find them. I find them easier to identify as theyre quite clear or see through when held against the sun.

But for gemstones that do not have that transparency such as agate, jasper, chert, pertified wood etc. Do you just collect it, read books and post online and hope someone knows something?

Someone once told me "If it looks good, its a keeper" - is this good advice?

KP if you work on the theory of what looks good comes home then there'd be very little left in the bush. You have to have a bit of an idea what you want to do with your rocks. If they are going to lie in the garden bed then you'll keep your eye out for just good looking rocks. If you intend to cut and polish them then you should steer away from porous rocks. Carry a spray bottle of water and give them a squirt. If they stay glossy and wet then they will most likely polish. If the water just soaks in and dries off quickly then it might be difficult to polish the surface. If your are interested in gem stones for faceting then other things come into play. Hardness, fracture, crystalline structure, colour, whether its transparent or translucent.

Just to make things clear, I know nothing about rocks. I just pick up the pretty ones..... :lol:

1583412450_rocks.jpg

A lot depends on what you plan to do, Moneybox made some excellent points. Taking it further where gem rough is concerned, if you are going to learn how to cut or polish, then that defines a different path.

Apart from picking up interesting looking rough, once you get home you're going to have to confirm what it is, Quartz, Topaz, Zircon, Spinel, garnet... and so the list goes on. Specific gravity testing is easy to do and will go a long way to determining the identity of the rough, then it's down to your eyes, a good magnifier and a pinpoint torch.

Your going to be looking for clarity, cracks, inclusions etc only then can you decide what to keep for the future, and what goes into the fish tank or garden. My front garden is chockers with sparkly things, you can even scratch deeper as there's loads of Sapphires down the bottom, the rain moved them (there's a lesson there ;) ) fun but no good for cutting. Anything under around 3ct we chuck as cutting removed 66 - 75% of the rough, cutting small stones is a PIA :awful: , for me anyway.

If I can find 2 good cutters in a days fossicking, I'm a happy man :) Quartz is different though, it's great for trial cuts and there's heaps of it. We tumble it to polish so we can select the good stuff, the rest either goes to the local rock shop or sparkles near the front door :cool:

It's much easier to know what you are looking for and where, rather than trying to figure out random rocks. Some rocks cannot be identified simply by color. Zircons have a wide range of color, just like most other gems. The daysford ones if rounded will be tricky to tell apart, but the zircon crystals will be long, compared to the garnets

Get a gem book or research for areas that says what gemstone is where, and dig for exactly what that info says.

Grab yourself a fluorescent light just a cheap torch one will give you the answers. Zircon is one gem that has fluorescence under a uv light

Stay posted in the Fluro Mineral section as We are actually making a REAL UV light for Home use and with a Field light too come soon... Far cheaper than buying one... ;)

And its a True UV... Not a Black Light torch...

LW...

LoneWolf said:
Stay posted in the Fluro Mineral section as We are actually making a REAL UV light for Home use and with a Field light too come soon... Far cheaper than buying one... ;)

And its a True UV... Not a Black Light torch...

LW...

It do both lw and sw? My sw blew on the weekend 8.( and need a new one

Latest posts