Rollover protection

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
Not directly a prospecting project but a slight modification to my Honda TRX250 quad to improve its safety.

A few days back Mrs M pulled out our travel notes from last year. I think she was figuring I had too much time on my hands so needed a gentle reminder of those items that were important enough to be entered into Phil's projects. The one thing that struck me was the reminder that two of our friends went home early with neck and back injuries after tumbling backwards into a creek bed with their 700cc Yamaha Grizzly on top. Fortunately, Marcus is a big strong guy and was able to use his foresight and strength to shed the main weight of the quad off to the side before he and his wife were crushed.

I've only had my new Honda for a few months and already I've had one incident where I parked it flat on its tail. I was outside the house on dead flat ground reversing down a steep ramp from inside the van. I realized too late that the trailer that I'd just taken off was parked too close. I jabbed the rear brake just as the rear wheels touched the ground where they stopped dead and the front lifted up until the rear toolbox hit the ground. I was left still in the saddle with all wheels in the air. It could have been a serious accident at almost zero speed on flat ground. I scrambled off and pushed it forward where it landed back on its wheels on the ramp.

Mrs M wanted a replay for the camera. I reneged :8

I woke in the middle of Friday night and fired up the computer to see what there was out there for roll-over protection for a quad bike. I had a few ideas and what I found on Google confirmed the design I had in mind. I could jump online and spend a considerable sum of money on a tried and tested design or do my usual and scrap something up.

The first thing of course was to find something to build it with ;)

1583047905_dozer_rollbar.jpg

I quick trip to CueBunno and the first thing I spotted was a ready made roll bar but it was a bit too heavy to lift into the van :eek:

1583048037_trampoline_frame.jpg

After a bit more of a search I discovered a trampoline frame that somebody didn't need any more.

1583048124_rollbar_tube.jpg

Of course, when you're repurposing material you just have to do your best with what shape the material comes in.

1583048244_rollbar_mount.jpg

With the tube sorted then I just had to look at the best way to mount it. I ended up with a short piece of 20mm heavy wall pipe and a handful of old Hummer dash mounting screws. I split the pipe, drilled the bolt holes into a nice piece of galvanized angle and then welded the bolt heads to the pipe.

1583051235_rollbar_welding.jpg

Then it was just a case of welding the pipe an mounting together.

1583048704_rollbar_bits.jpg

I gave it a rub over with sandpaper then gave it a squirt of paint.

1583048849_rollbar_mounting.jpg

With the mounting onto the rear carry rack secure it was all done and dusted.

1583048933_rollbar.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the overall outcome. It's not designed for a high speed crash but should give me crush protection if the little Honda loses its balance and falls over when I'm scrambling through the bush or just mucking about on flat ground :)

1583050231_quad_loaded.jpg

I was confident but Mrs M wanted to be sure that it would still fit into the trailer :lol:

Is that exhaust pipe?
I think I would be leaning towards 4mm+ BMT pipe for rops in G350 steel hey!

mudgee hunter said:
Is that exhaust pipe?
I think I would be leaning towards 4mm+ BMT pipe for rops in G350 steel hey!

MH the tube is only about 1.2mm wall. It used to be some sort of trampoline frame and is certainly strong enough for the job. It only has to support a couple hundred kilos in a slow speed roll. A ROPS requires a seat belt to restrain the operator. We're only interested in preventing the weight of the machine landing on the rider. The quad weighs 200kg.

The roll bar assembly weighs 3.8kg

Peter anything you add gets in the way whenever the going gets tough and whoever originally scattered that gold out there made sure it was put in the most difficult places to get to. I'm not intending to tip the thing over but if it happens I'd rather it land on a bit of pipe than squash me into the ground. It's only a little quad so I might not get skittled but it could break a few bones and you wouldn't want to be pinned down hoping somebody would turn up to help.

Moneybox said:
Manpa said:
Your such a clever fella.

Is this the pot calling the kettle black? I've seen some of your creations....
;)
Certainly not, I might get away with some timber work but when it comes to mechanics and metalworking Im a complete DUNCE!

I always enjoy following your builds whether they are garden landscaping or building trailers and rollover cages, great ingenuity. :D

I would like the steel tube to be a little bit thicker . Even with slow speed the 200 kg. becomes 400 kg. That force will soon bend that tube flat . I get a lot of my steel from my local scrap man at $1 per kilo.

Instead of scrapping it and starting again just weld in some cross braces to form a couple of triangles within the frame. then brace the corners.

Yes Mike, I agree, shock loading will be much higher than the actual dead weight.

Thanks for your concern guys but I'm quite confident that my bar will handle a low speed rollover. Have you ever tried to bend a piece of exhaust tube? It's not easy unless you dent it first and in this case I have two tubes side by side that will support each other :)

The tube may get damaged if I have a tumble but I have no doubt it will give me the required protection. I have no wish to load the little Honda up with weight that might cause it to fall over. The pipe I fitted weighs less that 4 kg so should have little adverse affect on the overall balance of the quad.

Latest posts