Best magnifier for faceting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

My aplogies if this subject has been previously covered.

What are your preferences for magnifying your work whilst cutting?

I see that the Donegon Optivisor seems to be popular. Are these the best?

Are there cheaper versions that do the same job?

What is the best magnification for faceting gems?

I use an old pair at my local gem club but have no idea on brand or magnification, but would like to purchase my own.

Best regards

Bullwinkle

For a visor, no particular brand, but I occasionally work one fitted with 2.5x and mine has a light on top but I rarely use it, overhead lighting is better, 40w incandescent is preferred and used for judging, for accuracy I use a 9w LED, shows up every little scratch, cathair, the bloody lot :(

For final finishing work there is only one, Belomo 10X, triplet lens, provides an optically flat image, they are so much better than anything else on the market. When you've used a cheaper one and someone hands you a Belomo to try, you'll be blown away by the difference.

Supplier is Pilbara Geology, pilbarageology.com.au

Dihusky said:
For a visor, no particular brand, but I occasionally work one fitted with 2.5x and mine has a light on top but I rarely use it, overhead lighting is better, 40w incandescent is preferred and used for judging, for accuracy I use a 9w LED, shows up every little scratch, cathair, the bloody lot :(

For final finishing work there is only one, Belomo 10X, triplet lens, provides an optically flat image, they are so much better than anything else on the market. When you've used a cheaper one and someone hands you a Belomo to try, you'll be blown away by the difference.

Supplier is Pilbara Geology, pilbarageology.com.au

Thanks Dihusky. The lighting bit makes a helluva lot of sense.

Latest posts