Amethyst Crystals - Lowmead QLD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I had heard of a spot at Lowmead where you can find amethyst crystals. I was out at Agnes waters on the weekend and decided to drive the extra 20km or so check it out quickly.

Was lucky enough to find the diggings beside the highway and had a bit of a speck around for half an hour.

Found a few small crystals on the surface but nothing to write home about. One had an a very slight purple tint to it.

There seem's to be very little information regarding this spot. I was looking for some advice as to whether the diggings I found are the only ones in the area or are there more? I've heard the better spots are on private property.

Also I was unable to find any markers or tell tale signs that would indicate crystals may be in the ground. There is alot of milky quartz on the surface but the diggings are quite substantial and around 2ft deep.

How would one tell where a good place to have a dig would be? In the diggings there looks to be what I think is decomposing granite/ basalt type material and the soil is kind of sandy mixed with clay.

1582327217_2be9b68d-9c92-48cf-8e99-a8c926d5909b.jpg

jasp05 said:
Hi guys,

I had heard of a spot at Lowmead where you can find amethyst crystals. I was out at Agnes waters on the weekend and decided to drive the extra 20km or so check it out quickly.

Was lucky enough to find the diggings beside the highway and had a bit of a speck around for half an hour.

Found a few small crystals on the surface but nothing to write home about. One had an a very slight purple tint to it.

There seem's to be very little information regarding this spot. I was looking for some advice as to whether the diggings I found are the only ones in the area or are there more? I've heard the better spots are on private property.

Also I was unable to find any markers or tell tale signs that would indicate crystals may be in the ground. There is alot of milky quartz on the surface but the diggings are quite substantial and around 2ft deep.

How would one tell where a good place to have a dig would be? In the diggings there looks to be what I think is decomposing granite/ basalt type material and the soil is kind of sandy mixed with clay.

email sent mate

Latest posts