QED Threshold questions?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I must apologise in advance. When it comes to reading and following manuals, I am a bit of a numpty. Things just don't make sense when I read them in a manual. Likely noting to do with the manual itself, it's just me.

I identified in myself a long time ago, that my adult learning abilities on the theory side are very poor. I get confused and frustrated. Where I excel in learning and getting good at something is by doing - and repetition.

So with that said, I'd like to ask some questions and hopefully someone can answer in a language, (let's say a ten year old level) that I can understand. No, I'm not joking, please condescend. Speak slowly and clearly, I'm from Canberra.....

I have the updated QED PL2, just upgraded last month. I still haven't had much opportunity to use it. It is my first detector.

Brian took me for a run on the phone, changing some things with a couple of bullets and a vial of gold on my back lawn, so I know now HOW to change settings. Problem is I don't understand WHY or WHEN I would change them.

What is threshold a and b and why/when would I change them?

What does gain do?

How far should my coil penetrate into the ground? (10x5)

I'm sure there will be more questions later.

Baz.

5TilE42.jpg

fZ7hUU3.jpg

E. v. e. n. i. n. g. B. a. z.

You're a funny bugger :lol:

Threshold B - You can make the QED 'bang' more on small or large targets - just depends on what you are likely chasing. Is it a small gold area and you are covering bedrock? Is it a bit deeper and it has produced potato sized gold in the past? B = Bias - you can Bias the machine to small or large targets.

If chasing small - lower THS B.
If chasing large - raise THS B.

BUT, only to a certain point either way. If you raise or lower too much the threshold becomes too 'deep' (thick, muddy, I don't know how to describe it - but it just becomes too much).

Really, for a beginner you are probably better finding NULL and leaving it there to start with.

THS A - does the same thing but raises the threshold or volume of all targets (regardless of small or large). A = All.

So find NULL for THS B and then raise THS A until you get a steady hum - and that is your threshold. You want it steady so that when you get a noise change that should be a target.

Gain - puts more 'power' into the ground so that targets 'light up' more. It will make targets bang more but it will also make things like ground mineralisation 'light up' more too. And increased Gain will also increase susceptibility to EMI. But, with your THS B at NULL and that small coil you should be able to get Gain up to 6 or 7 and still be stable.

That small coil. I don't know much about coils but it looks old and I dare say bundle wound. Should be better on mineralisation than the new age coils but will not be as great on really small targets. Maybe 10-13 cm on a 20 cent piece. I am 100% guessing though.

Hope that helps. :Y:

Baz, firstly so many of us are the same. Dont think you are alone. I have a mate who is quite smart yet flunked at school. Put a tool in his hand and he excelled. Baz, like i said elsewhere, have a look at your knives. What percentage of the population could achieve what you have? Very very little.

Now the manual, have you watched the vids? Make sure you have the latest manual. Read a section then watch the vid associated to that section. Baz, read the manual again and watch the vids. Again and again. Repetition mate. It will sink in. It will make sense eventually. Take a hard copy of the manual out with you, even on the tablet. You probably still have my phone number. Ring if ever you need assistance. Im quite sure Brian wont mind a call either.

Al.

Latest posts