Headphones Or Not?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterau

Peter
Reaction score
Hi, I have always used external speakers on my detectors, a rooster booster on my 5000 and clip on speaker on my 2300. Both of these are capable of louder than I need and I have found plenty of gold using them. I never really tried headphones much but am I missing gold by not using headphones. Cheers

Short answer is yes.

It comes down to all those intrusive outside noise factors (wind, leaves/sticks under foot, coil scraping etc. etc.) that using something like good quality isolating headphones will almost completely eliminate. Detectors like the SDC for example can give such subtle signal responses at times that you'd have no chance hearing them through a speaker (even if boosted). You will notice a remarkable difference straight away. The only advice I would give is to keep the volumes sensible. You don't want any hearing loss or the dreaded threshold whistle in your ears while trying to get to sleep!

There are a few older threads that cover the issue more thoroughly here and there. Possibly worth grabbing a cuppa and throwing the term headphones or audio up in the search box. :Y:

Cheers,
Shauno.

peterau said:
Hi, I have always used external speakers on my detectors, a rooster booster on my 5000 and clip on speaker on my 2300. Both of these are capable of louder than I need and I have found plenty of gold using them. I never really tried headphones much but am I missing gold by not using headphones. Cheers

It depends on your circumstances. I find that if I'm in dense bush or under low shrubs then the headphones are useless. The noise of touching a branch or scraping through leaves is multiplied to the extent where nothing else can be heard. The speaker is by far the best way to go. Also in windy conditions the noise generated by wind flowing across the headphones can block everything else out unless you can stretch a beanie over the top.

I have some very nice Grey Ghost headphones but I use the external speaker whenever possible if using the GPX4500. I find the headphones better on the SDC because the speaker is on the outside and the Trumpet is so poorly made that it falls apart with a bit of use in the bush.

I can't say that I get more gold with one or the other but I wouldn't want to be left without the option of putting the headphones on.

Excellent question Peterau.

From 2014 to 2018 I only used headphones. With my SD2000 I just used the ones that came with it as I bought it second hand. With the GPZ I bought a set of Sennheiser ones. In 2017 I bought the B&Z booster but didn't use it until 12 months later and mostly use that. I do use the headphones occasionally like when it is very windy.

One thing I have noticed is that the noise from the coil scraping the ground and rubbing against the leaves and shrubs is still very audible when using headphones.
I prefer the speakers not because I think I will find more gold but it is more comfortable and I ALWAYS wear a wide brimmed hat to shade from the sun and to brighten the sound from the speakers. The brim brings to sound to your ears better but a cap would let it go past your ears.

If you decide to use headphones, get good quality ones. I haven't had any problem with the Minelab ones that came with the 7000 or the GPX. Others swear by the Sennheiser ones. I went with the Sennheiser ones as they weren't too expensive but I doubt they have been the difference between finding and missing gold, the same with the booster.

The thing with any equipment, it could make a difference and then again it may not. If you buy headphones and then find a few bits of gold early on then you might be convinced that they are better than the booster, but realistically there is no way to know.

I doubt you are missing any gold by using the booster unless there is a problem with your hearing. I have found extremely tiny pieces of gold with both the headphones and the booster. Whichever you use should be the one you prefer.

Regards Axtyr.

I prefer to wear headphones in the cooler weather as they do pick out softer or faint targets better compared to the external speakers on my 4500, this Summer I have been using Spectra transcription under chin headset as they don't sweat like headphones but still better than external speakers in my opinion.
I've come to this conclusion by trying to do some videoing of live digs, when I get a faint or soft repeatable signal that pulls me up I get the gopro out and plug the external speakers in, start filming and more often than not those real soft or faint repeatable signals can't be heard on the external speakers until I scrape a couple of mm off the top, if I was just using the external speakers then I wouldn't have heard the repeatable signal enough to pull me up and definitely be missing enough of a percentage of my gold finds to make a difference.
I also use the sP01 and speakers to match, this is just my experience and I get that external speakers are more comfortable in the hotter weather but for me when the temp gets above high 20's then it's just too uncomfortable to detect full stop.

I also know for a fact that with my Gold Monster 1000 using the headphones supplied I can detect the tiniest bit of gold at a good 1-2" in mild ground that I would have no hope of detecting without the headphones, even on still quiet days, the gold doesn't register on the screen scale but is a slight repeatable that is worth a scape and then the signal pops out after that, but using the GM1000 speaker can't pick that faint repeatable.

Works for me anyway.

I believe that headphones are the most sensitive, however unless using the 7000 I do not use them as I have slight Tinnitus and going over a horse shoe say with a 4500 without the adjustable volume limits that the 7000 has, to me is not helpful for this condition. With speakers the large sound is projected in front of you from the speakers, not right into your ears.

I have always been a fan of headphones.
1. Better quality audio
2. Blocks outside noise/distractions
3. Don't need to crank booster/target volume as high, which results in a smoother detector
4. Don't broadcast to others when I'm getting targets :cool:

I do use speakers on occasion, mainly when it's too hot, or more so humid (which isn't too often in SA).
I also like using speakers when detecting on still nights. Detectors run more stable at night and there's something about the sound of a faint signal echo'ing through the bush at night.

I use either depending on circumstances
mostly use headphones on the beach, unless the ocean is like glass with no wind.
Speaker or headphones inland depending on conditions, but headphones can be very uncomfortable in hot conditions, although I prefer them whenever I can.

Headphones for me no matter what temperature.

I don't get a lot of time on the gold fields so every advantage is important.

Finding gold and "being comfortable" should never be used in the same sentence because the truth is to find gold you have to push yourself beyond your comfort zone. (A point often missed by New comers)

There is daylight between the KOSS Minelab headphones and my Sunray Pro Gold headphones. Not in audio quality but the fit or insulation to shield wind or coil scraping sound intrusions. Subtle faint signals are just that, barely audible.

If you want comfort, stay home with a cuppa and a packet of Ginger Nut biscuits. If you want more gold, use headphones.

May not work for you but works for me.

RS

If you do go to headphones just remember to check for bull ants after finding that elusive piece of trash that you got excited about and called everyone over for to listen before putting them back on :8 :lol:

Retirement Stone said:
Headphones for me no matter what temperature.
I don't get a lot of time on the gold fields so every advantage is important.
Finding gold and "being comfortable" should never be used in the same sentence because the truth is to find gold you have to push yourself beyond your comfort zone. (A point often missed by New comers)
There is daylight between the KOSS Minelab headphones and my Sunray Pro Gold headphones. Not in audio quality but the fit or insulation to shield wind or coil scraping sound intrusions. Subtle faint signals are just that, barely audible.
If you want comfort, stay home with a cuppa and a packet of Ginger Nut biscuits. If you want more gold, use headphones.
May not work for you but works for me.
RS
I can squat under a shrub with a cuppa & gingernut in 40deg & be alright.
I can squat under a shrub with a cuppa & gingernut in the rain & be alright.
But I really don't like sweaty ears :playful:

One more thing I would like to add. I purchased the Sennheiser HD 558 headphones and they are extremely comfortable. They have soft foam padding around the ears, but they don't block out all the noise. Actually very little external noise. However, after not using them for some time and then using them again, after a few hours they start to hurt my ears.

Back in the mid 80's when I bought my Minelab Goldseekers 15000 I started off with the stethoscope headphones but soon moved to full over the ears headphones. They also made my ears hurt after a short period of time and at the end of the day my ears would be quite sore from the pressure of the headphones.

So, I bought a cheap pair of ear muffs and removed the padding off them and siliconed them to the headphones and that solved my problem. Add as many layers as you like to get the comfort you require.
I did exactly this with a pair of RPG FH-100R headphones I purchased about 4 years ago. Not great headphones but usable. I put 2 extra layers of padding on the original padding.

Regards Axtyr.

Black widow headphones are are my #1 pick as they trigger the amp in the battery on a gpx,be careful though if you dont turn down the volume it will rattle your brain and you can adjust the volume from ear to ear if you are a little deaf in one ear,but I dont think they are available in oz, I have got mine from the states

I have used the ear buds that come with my phones when it has been to hot to wear head phones

Have also used speakers which I never liked to start with but do use them now as when I go out with my mates it is more of a social outing and I might hear something that he doesnt, two sets of ears are better that one

Thanks for all the replies folks. I have a pair of koss and a set of black widow which I bought years ago and never really tried. Will go back over some of my patches using headphones and see if I can raise anything telling. Have to be a few though cause I always find another one anytime I go back over a patch. Thanks again
p.s. RS I wont stay home but I will take the cuppa and gingernuts with me from now on. yumm. DD you don't like sweaty ears, no wonder, you forgot to have the cuppa with them.

I always use headphones as a rule, and yes, they are uncomfortable in the extreme heat. I've found gold with just the speaker, but I'm listening for a subtle change in the threshold, not the beep of a target. I can't hear a really quiet, subtle change with the speaker, with the wind and trees rustling. I always take the 'phones off for a short break, after every dig, have a drink, look around, etc. Headphones help me to focus.

I got myself a pair of Sunray Gold Pro Heaphones all the way from USA, and I absolutely love them :inlove: :perfect:

Latest posts