Black or Discoloured Nugget?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations Allthatshines, you have passed the initiation and collected the first of many types of junk that reside in the goldfields. Stick with it though mate, and one day you may just say "Not more bloody lead!!", only to scratch it with the file to see a beautiful yellow shine :goldnugget: :)

Deepseeker, I look forward to that day. :goldnugget: :cool:

HippyProspecting, thankyou, I'm going to give it a red hot go. I don't give up easily. :Y:

Aussiefarmer. If I had to guess (and I do), I would say this is a badly deformed 303 round (or similar) that has been in the ground a long time. It's a bit longer then an inch.

Test it with a Magnet.... if it sticks throw it next to a tree, or drop it in a recycle bin in town O:)

silver said:
Test it with a Magnet.... if it sticks throw it next to a tree, or drop it in a recycle bin in town O:)

I did exactly that, it was non-magnetic.

In the end I am reasonably confident it was a badly deformed 303 lead bullet that has been in the ground a long-long time.

So I still have not found my first nugget :N: :/

Haha another one that expects to find nuggets everywhere only on your second day out

I would seriously consider taking up Damit and Patrick 1s offer if I was you ,both great guys who know their stuff and willing to share knowledge ,offers like that don't just come around often . You'll learn more in an hour than you will in years by your self . Go back and get the sdc its your best bet to get a little nugget . It's the easiest to use most likely to find gold detector . expect to dig 20 plus bird shot maybe even 50 before you get a bit of gold . If your willing to do that and listen to these guys you will eventually find gold . :Y:
Cheers Booney

Pirate Pete I certainly wasnt posting on forums on my second day out with sad face emojis on not finding any gold, there are members on this forum that dont find there first gold for months or years, I just find it funny at some newcomers watch shows and YouTube videos thinking that they will strike it rich as soon as they go out.

Buy a cheap electronic pocket scale (useful for SG determination). Why I am doubtful is that you say "it would be 5 or 6 grams in weight". 5 grams of gold occupies about 0.25 cubic centimetres - that looks a lot larger then that in your photo. A bit doubtful ab0ut lead either - if so it would have to be a recent human artefact, not natural.

goldierocks said:
Buy a cheap electronic pocket scale (useful for SG determination). Why I am doubtful is that you say "it would be 5 or 6 grams in weight". 5 grams of gold occupies about 0.25 cubic centimetres - that looks a lot larger then that in your photo. A bit doubtful ab0ut lead either - if so it would have to be a recent human artefact, not natural.

Thank goldielocks. I have a couple of scales at home but failed to bring them along on this trip. One of my other interests is buying and selling silver and gold bullion / coins.

I'm still carrying the thing around in my pocket. I will melt it down when I eventually get home.

Allthatshines said:
goldierocks said:

Thank goldielocks. I have a couple of scales at home but failed to bring them along on this trip. One of my other interests is buying and selling silver and gold bullion / coins.

I'm still carrying the thing around in my pocket. I will melt it down when I eventually get home.
Why I say that if lead it would be an artefact, is because native lead (the mineral) is so rare that In have never seen it in the 50 years that I have worked as a geologist. All occurrences of native lead that I know of occur in Sweden and the Appalachians (Grenville Province) of North America New York State), and seem to have formed under unusual high-grade metamorphic conditions not present in Victoria.

goldierocks said:
Allthatshines said:
goldierocks said:

Why I say that if lead it would be an artefact, is because native lead (the mineral) is so rare that In have never seen it in the 50 years that I have worked as a geologist. All occurrences of native lead that I know of occur in Sweden and the Appalachians (Grenville Province) of North America New York State), and seem to have formed under unusual high-grade metamorphic conditions not present in Victoria.

I'm not saying it is natural lead, but I think it could be a badly deformed bullet that had been in the ground a long time.

Allthatshines said:
I'm not saying it is natural lead, but I think it could be a badly deformed bullet that had been in the ground a long time.
1581762096_all_things.jpg

Maybe this piece of mine will change your opinion. It's about 10 grams and from the same patch as my Sheep sh1t nugget at post #12 above: :cool:
1581761941_prospecting11.jpg

Latest posts