Black or Discoloured Nugget?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Currently I'm down in Victoria near Maryborough (from Sydney). It is first gold prospecting trip, so I'm a newbie.

I "think" I found my first ever nugget today, but it is kind of black in appearance. It feels heavy for its size and is not metallic. It's not lead, as there is small sections where the gold colour is visible.

Is this normal?

Do I clean it, or leave it?

I don't have a set of scales, but I'd imagine it would be 5 or 6 grams in weight. It won't fit into the plastic jar that came with a panning kit I bought.

I hired a Minelabs SDC 2300 from Coiltek Gold Centre in Maryborough, as they said my Gold Monster 1000 would struggle in Victorian conditions.

1581571771_20200213_162123.jpg

Doesn't look like gold to me, sometimes gold does come coated in near black ironstone though.

I'd scratch it on a rock or a file to see what's underneath the black stuff.

If it is gold you can soak it in either hydrchloric acid or Alibrite to get the coating off.

Heatho said:
Doesn't look like gold to me, sometimes gold does come coated in near black ironstone though.

I'd scratch it on a rock or a file to see what's underneath the black stuff.

If it is gold you can soak it in either hydrchloric acid or Alibrite to get the coating off.

I might scratch it later tonight. Just wanted a few opinions first incase I screw it up in some way.

Anyway not long until sunset. I'm of to dig more holes and find it a shiny companion. :goldnugget: :pickshovel: :cool:

Looks like a hot rock.

I.e highly mineralised piece of rock.

Never throw that stuff out when you 1st start out.

I put them on a rock and smack them with the flat part of my pick straight down vertically to be sure to be sure

dam it will know if he gets a look at it.

RS

Allthatshines said:
Currently I'm down in Victoria near Maryborough (from Sydney). It is first gold prospecting trip, so I'm a newbie.

I "think" I found my first ever nugget today, but it is kind of black in appearance. It feels heavy for its size and is not metallic. It's not lead, as there is small sections where the gold colour is visible.
Is this normal?
Do I clean it, or leave it?
I don't have a set of scales, but I'd imagine it would be 5 or 6 grams in weight. It won't fit into the plastic jar that came with a panning kit I bought.

It's possibly gold, although I would have expected the black stuff to be shinier. Here's my own Sheep sh1t nugget which is from the same area, for comparison (the white line across the bottom is a matchstick):
1581579266_sheep_sh1t_nugget1.jpg

Be careful with any cleaning you try other than with water and a toothbrush - if it's like mine, the actual gold is spongy rather than solid and crumbles after a week or two in hydrochloric acid.

grubstake, you give me hope :D

I've heard over the years if you put various objects in coke (the drink) it will dissolved the crudd and clean the object. I don't have any coke with me, but I have some Woodstock bourbon and cola. I sacrificed a little and now have it soaking to see what happens. Things you have to do :cool: :goldnugget:

Allthatshines said:
grubstake, you give me hope :D

I've heard over the years if you put various objects in coke (the drink) it will dissolved the crudd and clean the object. I don't have any coke with me, but I have some Woodstock bourbon and cola. I sacrificed a little and now have it soaking to see what happens. Things you have to do :cool: :goldnugget:
I'm in Maryborough if you'd like me to have a look at it tomorrow.

No worries. I will let you know how the coke experiment goes. If it is inconclusive, an experienced opinion would be appreciated.

Tonight I parked up in the bush in a huge motorhome out at Craigie on (I think it is called) white horse track. I've been here most of the day and have not seen another person.

I will be heading back into Maryborough sometime in the morning to hand back the rented detector.

It is very simple to determine (if you consider most of that lump to be gold). You don't have to damage it to do so - determine its specific gravity (gold is three times heavier than lead). Very simple, very rapid.

Black coated nuggets occur in a few places in Victoria, the coating usually being manganese oxide.

I'm a bit doubtful though - you say "It feels heavy for its size" - if you had said "bloody heavy" it would be more promising.

goldierocks said:
It is very simple to determine (if you consider most of that lump to be gold). You don't have to damage it to do so - determine its specific gravity (gold is three times heavier than lead). Very simple, very rapid.

Black coated nuggets occur in a few places in Victoria, the coating usually being manganese oxide.

I'm a bit doubtful though - you say "It feels heavy for its size" - if you had said "bloody heavy" it would be more promising.

I'm now thinking it must be lead. I scratched it with a screwdriver and it is silver underneath. Story of my life, I wanted gold but got lead... :/

I tried scanning it with my gold monster 1000 and it screams gold, but apparently no detector can tell the difference between lead and gold.

Latest posts