Dalton Area NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gooday guys....Ole popwinters back on the hustings again. Goulburn Metalogenic Map I got hold of recently shows a lot of early day history gold prospecting sites around Dalton, just south west of Goulburn in NSW, near Gunning. Has any one had a poke around that area in the past and had any luck. I recon it might be worth a go and I'm going to take a look see at the access possibility of some of the locations. Give me a nod anyone if you've poked around there at any time. Always interested in informed feedback :cool: :) .....Regards & cheers to all.

Have been looking at it as I knew/did know a few people in the area, but do not think I know the right ones :D , all seems to be on private property and from the look deep shafts, but there must be something on the surface somewhere, long time ago did a bit of research and talking to the older generation around the Rye Park area, but nothing seemed to jump out as being good, any working seemed to be 'worked a long time ago' and not much in it so I have not followed it up of late.

1571615754_canvas.1.jpg

I don't reckon there's any gold left to find in NSW. Not with a detector anyhow

I know theyve test drilled in that area in the last few years or so an beleive the reefs to be around 15 mtrs deep or more . Was just looking for any additional information that i may not know about . Iv got what i can off the internet but it doesnt always hold all the information that people may have about an area . Iv tryd minview , bonzle, trove , facebook , an google itself any other websites i mite of missed??

dam it said:
goody2shoes said:
Google it

Goody
" Google it " Really .
The quetion was " has anyone tried around dalton nsw "
Dear oh dear hahaha guess no 1 has been in that area . I dunno about there being no gold in nsw haha seen a young bloke suck 4 grams from bedrock out tuena way yabbo pumps the way to go he reckons

1634164679_img_0995.jpg

I do not have the map but you need this to go with the map . You might be able to get it on line now .

I have not been in that area .

Hi all new member taken up prospecting in the past few years
I've recently moved to Dalton and can say there is definitely gold here
Digging on my property doing fence holes shows this area was at one stage all under water and riddled with river stones sands and quartz
There is around 10 mines in this area and fingers crossed I can access one very soon will update on how I go
Cheers stu

Many years ago while doing my family history I found that I had a lot of relations that lived in that area and around Pudman Creek, Belmount Forest and the areas in between, only had one relative that I am aware of that actually went looking for gold and I know that he did not get rich despite having allegedly dug a number of shafts of varying depths in various areas, not a lot of information was found on him as he was always on the move. My understanding was that the only mine that was worked successfully for a few years was at Walla Walla and that was predominantly Silver, Lead and Zinc with gold a very small percentage and I know that this type of mineral was located on a number of other properties towards Dalton, but it was not talked about so the areas were not ruined as was around the Walla Walla mines. Good luck in your search, hope that you find what a lot of people have looked for in the past.

Last edited:

Latest posts