GM1000 And Hot Rocks.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I have the GM1000 and I just had a question.
Is it normal when I get a target, that the gold monster picks up any and every hot rock in that spot?
I spent 25 mins digging up at least 15 hot rocks from the same hole. I also tried putting down the sensitivity and still the same.
Am I doing something wrong?

put Ur Audio jack into a computer and run input into laptop , u can adjust all the settings up and down if you want, my nephew wrights computer programs, over rode the minelab one running in my monster,

All I can say is when u buy a car if you want it to go fast you put all the extra bits in it and change the ecu, everything can be chipped these days

You should see my wifes chip, its on her shoulders ?

Run the GM1000 also, noted it picking up certain rocks, was able to adjust sensitivity/gain level by around 1 to 2 settings maybe more, with trade of in sensitivity/depth, also auto 1 seemed quiter than manual 9 or 10 as example, tried different areas, and yes it was limited to the area with hot rocks, which was re assuring.
Also, have you tried ground balance, as you move within certain areas, the ground changes, I found I had to ground balance as it changed or adjust tge gain till I got a stable single with the highest gain and pick by ear a bit in hotter ground.

You might have already seen this but I found this helpful re ground balance and settings around hot grounds, I can't post the link yet, but if you search you tube under nugget shooter "Minelab Gold Monster 1000 in Depth Answers to Subscriber's Questions".

@choofa... I have tried ground balancing but it's still noisy.. might have to play around with the sensitivity a bit more.
I just dont want to miss any gold haha :p

I will definitely check out that video ! Thanks :)

Minelab should have name it 'Chirpy Monster 1000' :playful:
It is a chatterbox. You can drop the sensitivity down, but you will lose depth & possible targets.
In high mineralisation & with hot rocks around it is never going to be quiet. Its not a PI, & that's just what you live with when using a VLF.
ps, it's recommended to ground balance often by averaging. This is done by moving the coil around a fair bit when doing GB.
Some people don't bother, but each to their own.

DED

@Ded Driver .. spot on with the chatterbox 1000 haha

I have seen people use full sensitivity with the GM1000 in hot ground and pull out nuggets and ignore the hot rocks. I find that they all sound the same , my ears cant pick up the different tones lol
Maybe I should try headphones

Latest posts