Gold Fossicking Tours N.S.W.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a gold fossicking tour? I am a newbie and would like some help. Preferably NSW.

beaul said:
Can anyone suggest a gold fossiking tour. I am a newbie and would like some help. preferably nsw

Hey Beaul,

Make sure you ask what sort of support they provide inexperienced prospectors. Also if they detect while on tour.

As a newbie you are paying for a tour to learn as much as you can. In my opinion if the tour leader is spending all their time detecting all that you're really is subsidizing their business or trip.

Best regards

Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle said:
beaul said:
Can anyone suggest a gold fossiking tour. I am a newbie and would like some help. preferably nsw

Hey Beaul,

Make sure you ask what sort of support they provide inexperienced prospectors. Also if they detect while on tour.

As a newbie you are paying for a tour to learn as much as you can. In my opinion if the tour leader is spending all their time detecting all that you're really is subsidizing their business or trip.

Best regards

Bullwinkle

Not always.
Good tour operators (teachers) often detect to locate a target (without digging it) then bring in the novice and use it as a teaching aid.

What to listen for, how to pinpoint, how to dig and recover etc.
Novice does the work and keeps the gold and has newfound understanding, confidence and enthusiasm.

Edit: also depends on what type of tour, just a tag-along or tag-along with tuition etc. You want and need to ask for a tour that has tuition included.

With just a tag-along tour you are paying for the guides knowledge and experience in locating good ground where he himself would detect. Possibly also you're after the safety and company especially if it's your first time to WA.
Most likely you'll get help with things like 40E applications, tengraph, GPS etc.
I'd be surprised and worried if my guides didn't detect and weren't locating good ground.

madtuna said:
Bullwinkle said:
beaul said:

Hey Beaul,

Best regards

Bullwinkle

Not always.
Good tour operators (teachers) often detect to locate a target (without digging it) then bring in the novice and use it as a teaching aid.

What to listen for, how to pinpoint, how to dig and recover etc.
Novice does the work and keeps the gold and has newfound understanding, confidence and enthusiasm.

Edit: also depends on what type of tour, just a tag-along or tag-along with tuition etc. You want and need to ask for a tour that has tuition included.

With just a tag-along tour you are paying for the guides knowledge and experience in locating good ground where he himself would detect. Possibly also you're after the safety and company especially if it's your first time to WA.
Most likely you'll get help with things like 40E applications, tengraph, GPS etc.
I'd be surprised and worried if my guides didn't detect and weren't locating good ground.

Thanks Madtuna, I totally agree with all of your points.

My comments were based upon Beaul being a complete novice & the need to ask the right questions before committing to a particular tour.

I particularly like your first point. I had a mate locate a target for me when I first started. It was like he baited the hook, hooked the fish then handed the rod over to me to wind the fish in & I got to keep the fish. Up until that point I'd been at it for awhile & hadn't found a thing. After that I never looked back & was up & away. Something that I'm very grateful for.

The tour operator should most definitely know the ground through reconnaissance personal & detecting experience & if things get a bit lean on the tour to help locate additional suitable ground.

Expectations about what a particular operator can and provide should also be clear before committing.

I've personally been on tour where a number of novices were virtually left to their own devices from day 1 some with brand new detectors and others who had hired them for the occasion. They were left very disappointed as they spent the week wandering aimlessly around the scrub and mostly what they did learn came from other participants who took them under their wing.

I even saw a situation where the tour guide chained an area and found extra bits immediately after a newbie had just found a half decent nugget . In my opinion, the operator should have explained to the novice how to work a patch.

The most important thing is before committing to a tour is to have a chat to the operator about your experience and expectations and whether their particular tour suits you.

Also don't use Aussie Gold Hunters as your benchmark before heading out on a tour.

Best Regards

Bullwinkle

Snipped form Bullwinkle's post....
"The most important thing is before committing to a tour is to have a chat to the operator about your experience and expectations and whether their particular tour suits you."

Spot on. Always enquire about the number of guests on the tour you're interested in, how many guides, the guides experience and even things like van types and sizes.
Remember a tag along tours ability to go places is limited by the capabilities of the biggest and ugliest van in the group.

"Also don't use Aussie Gold Hunters as your benchmark before heading out on a tour."

Too true. Especially ones where gold is supplied and planted to be dug up on camera, ones who encourage and sell camo gear.
Remember that tour groups who take you to their private leases take every tour and guest to those same private leases...year in year out.

Gold Prospecting Australia -- with Mark Hyde. Gets my Five Star Rating.
Fantastic host, especially for newbies on the field. Many of his clients join him year after year. It can be very hard to get onto his tours due to repeat customers snagging many of the slots. Which is a good recommendation in itself.
He does not detect -- he helps you find your gold!
I went on two of his tours early on in my WA prospecting. Was an excellent introduction all round; and tour participants good company. Can get a little crowded in small areas - learn how to kit up and get going without delays is my top tip!

Latest posts