Bathurst area advice much appreciated!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning all,

I'm headed off to Bathurst next week from canberra for a few days work in town,
I'm going to take the pan and try my luck for a little colour. I was hoping i could get a little advice as to where i should call in for scratch along a creek? Sunny corner seems to be the closest to town, would this be worthwhile? I'm going to be a bit restricted to access with my work van but depending on my knock off times i can travel a bit either way of town.
Never been to the area so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Im in bathurst. I was up in the turon river today which is about a 30-40 min drive away for me and there is little water, there are some pools of water but i would not be panning in some of them! I don't know how the water levels are in sunny corner plus i have not ventured out there myself yet, on the cards to one day

MrPyro89 said:
Im in bathurst. I was up in the turon river today which is about a 30-40 min drive away for me and there is little water, there are some pools of water but i would not be panning in some of them! I don't know how the water levels are in sunny corner plus i have not ventured out there myself yet, on the cards to one day

Thanks mate,
By the sounds of it i might be just finding a local pub to have a few coldies at the end of the day! But at the same time I'm not paying for the petrol so might even just end up going for a drive around and scope a few spots for a return visit when it cools down

Greenhorn_diggin said:
MrPyro89 said:

Thanks mate,
By the sounds of it i might be just finding a local pub to have a few coldies at the end of the day! But at the same time I'm not paying for the petrol so might even just end up going for a drive around and scope a few spots for a return visit when it cools down

When you get your posts up send me a message and ill tell you a spot thats about 30min drive with some water that looked ok to pan in

MrPyro89 said:
Greenhorn_diggin said:
MrPyro89 said:

Thanks mate,

When you get your posts up send me a message and ill tell you a spot thats about 30min drive with some water that looked ok to pan in

Thanks mate appreciate it :Y:

I'm pretty sure I have a clean slate next week, I'll message you my phone number if you wanna meet up. Hopefully, get some cooler weather next week.

This came from roughly 60l of paydirt my last trip out.

1580558142_img_9504.jpg

Used to take weekend visitors out for a crevicing/panning session on Peel creek which is handy to town.
Could always get sufficient colour to keep everyone happy.

boobook said:
Used to take weekend visitors out for a crevicing/panning session on Peel creek which is handy to town.

Would you mean Clear Creek or Winburndale Rivulet? Both close to Peel.
Both have gold :goldpan:

AussieChris said:
boobook said:

Would you mean Clear Creek or Winburndale Rivulet? Both close to Peel.
Both have gold :goldpan:
This why Chris has been quiet for the last 6 months!
Smashing it good :perfect:

I forgot to let you guys know how i got on,
Turns out it wasn't meant to be! I knocked over most of my work keen to get a full day in scouting out the areas you all suggested, headed to the pub on our first night for a beer and steak and a couple minutes into my second beer i was sick as a dog and on another planet, after much procrastination the next morning i went to the hospital and turns out i had my drink spiked at the pub, as the nurse said, "mate you've been Roofied"..not too sure if its the Freddie Mercury mo i was sporting or the trendy new jeans i was wearing? I spent most of the next morning "sobering" up and trying to piece together how the hell it would have happened. Once i got back on my feet i headed back to site and knocked the job on the head and made tracks back home a night early. Nonetheless im keen to get back up there for a look around the creeks and give the pub a miss :/

Cheers everyone for the heads up on the locations

Chris, probably Clear creek, close to the Sofala road, I think Winburndale a little further West.
Its a while back (1970's) when things were a little more free and easy.

Sorry to hear about your experience Greenhorn, in those days there were 12 pubs in Bathurst and I could usually be (temporarily!) barred from at least one of them!
That's about the worst thing that happened to me in any of the pubs, lived there for near 20 years.
Never picked up a bait, but did avoid counter meals in some of them!

Had a look at my old place on Google earth. Was built in 1843 and still looks pretty good. I liked the history of the area which got me back into chasing gold. A long sluice at Trunkey Creek and dredging on the Turon/Maquarie with a bit of panning here and there.
We sold gold to a buyer in Granville who from just a glance at the gold could tell exactly which creek system it originated.
Good times were had :cool:

Latest posts